The Student Room Group

Reference

Hello, I'm reapplying for medicine this year. I finished my A levels in 2013 and since then have got a lot of work experience in a GP practice where I have got to know one of the doctors very well. He has offered to write my reference for me on UCAS however I am unsure whether my referee should be an academic one or not. Should I ask my sixth form to give me a reference or take up his offer?
Original post by MedicineMann
Hello, I'm reapplying for medicine this year. I finished my A levels in 2013 and since then have got a lot of work experience in a GP practice where I have got to know one of the doctors very well. He has offered to write my reference for me on UCAS however I am unsure whether my referee should be an academic one or not. Should I ask my sixth form to give me a reference or take up his offer?

Your reference should be mainly academic, so I'd get your sixth form to write it. However, it is still worth asking the doctor to contact your sixth form referee as he will have other things to add about your personal qualities and things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Your reference should be mainly academic, so I'd get your sixth form to write it. However, it is still worth asking the doctor to contact your sixth form referee as he will have other things to add about your personal qualities and things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is, two of my teachers are retired now and another is on maternity leave so I can only get references from one teacher, unless my careers officer can dig out my old reference.
I had this issue last time.

Get an academic one definitely. You're not a mature student. Manchester medical school told me specifically they wanted an academic one.
Original post by MedicineMann
The problem is, two of my teachers are retired now and another is on maternity leave so I can only get references from one teacher, unless my careers officer can dig out my old reference.

Yeah get your old one, and get the head or another senior teacher to modify if appropriately and then just stick their name under it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get an academic one but you could always send the doctor'a reference seperatley, some unis accept them.
Thank you, I just need to wait for schools to go back now then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending