The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Another thread about modules

Im very confused about module choices for when I go to Durham (for computer science) and would love some clarification.

So far it is my understanding that modules are taken to the value of 120 credits, and up to of these can be taken outside of natural sciences. The bit I am confused about is the differences in this page and the information at the bottom of this page.

Are all the modules in the framework compulsary, or only the ones stated at the bottom of the natural sciences page? I need to know which ones I need to take to decide my other ones and am very confused :confused: Any help would be great.
Hi flapjackboy. I'm just starting my 2nd year of Computer Science.

In your first year you have 4 compulsory modules
- Programming and Data Structures/Intro to Programming [PDS1] [PDS2] (double module)
- Formal Aspects of Computer Science [FA]
- Computer Systems [CSys]

If you don't have A-Level maths it's highly, highly, highly recommended (but not strictly compulsory) that you also take 'Foundations of Computer Science [FCS]'.

You therefore have either 1 or 2 spare modules, which must be filled in order to have a total of 120 credits.

Alex
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Cheers :biggrin: Very very much appreciated!
No problem :smile:

I'd highly recommend you get a copy of Schaum's Outline of Discrete Mathematics for FCS/FA, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0070380457/
Don't bother with the 'Essential Computer Mathematics' book in the same series as outline of Discrete Mathematics contains exactly the same stuff, and more.

Alex
what about Physics ? what modules to choose ?
Well heres a list of all the first year physics (F300) modules, http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/f300.pdf

So you'll have to do,

- PHYS1122 Foundations of Physics (double module)
- PHYS1101 Discovery Skills in Physics

Then either...
- MATH1561 Single Mathematics A, and...
- MATH1571 Single Mathematics B
OR
- MATH1012 Core Mathematics A (double module)

Then any other 20 credit module, so you can choose another first year module from those offered by other departments.

Alex
Reply 6
I think everyone just needs to chill about modules, there's nothing which can't be sorted when we get there :cool:
Reply 7
A lot of people seem to decide the night before registration :smile:. So yeah you don't have to know Right Now. But there's something to be said for having a plan.

Latest