The Student Room Group

Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 12345567890
Is it possible to only take level 3 animal management for a year?

Yes but you will only come out with the 90 credit level 3 diploma as opposed to the full extended level 3 diploma.
Reply 21
Great course. I done it now I’m a zoo keeper. If you want to work with animals, it’s a good start. :smile:
Original post by TJM_
Great course. I done it now I’m a zoo keeper. If you want to work with animals, it’s a good start. :smile:

Hi,
Do you mind me asking how you made the leap to zoo keeper? Further courses? Work experience? etc/

Many thanks!
Hi, I studied the exact same qualification, however my opinion is different to others on this thread, I dropped out after the first year and went on to do A-Levels. I’m in my second year and can honestly say I don’t regret my decision. It ultimately depends on you, if you really think that you won’t enjoy any other course then stick with animal management, the worst thing you can do is study something you have no interest in. But honestly speaking, there are not a lot of jobs in the animal industry, especially ones that are of reasonanble pay. It’s likely you’ll struggle to find employment without knowing connections in the industry.I personally found that the BTEC wasn’t challenging enough for me and I was more suited to an academic course. If you plan on going to university for an animal science related course I would strongly recommend to do A-Levels as I believe they would prepare you better for the workload and examinations at uni. Just beware that A-Levels are much harder and if you think you’re more suited to coursework than exams then stick with a BTEC. But being realistic, animal jobs are not in demand and the pay is not good. Finding employment seems to be getting more difficult each year and it’s recommend you think carefully about your career path. That being said, if you’re passionate about animals and can not imagine doing anything else, then go for it.
Hi, I'm currently in my first year studying the Level 3 Diploma in Animal Management at Askham Bryan College. It is an amazing course that teaches you all you need to know about the animal world and not just about domestic animals but wild animals too. My subjects include welfare and breeding, behaviour and communication, small animal rehabilitation, exotics, health and husbandry, nutrition and feeding and we even study biology.we also have practical sessions with the animals at our college: handling them, cleaning out their enclosures and feeding them. We learn about animal legislation and organisations. This course is anything but useless and anyone who tells you that there are not many jobs working with animals clearly don't know what they are talking about because the possibilities are endless and this course can lead you down so many paths. I would strongly recommend this course to anyone and can say with certainty that I would regret my decision if I had not chosen it. Also because animal management covers so many subjects it can get you into a lot of jobs working with animals.
Reply 25
Original post by MaryC1961
Hi
Do you mind me asking how you made the leap to zoo keeper? Further courses? Work experience? etc/

Many thanks!

Sorry about the delay. When I was studying I was a volunteer at my local zoo, experience goes a long way in zoo world! Once I finished studying I was lucky to get a seasonal keeper job and then they kept me from there!
hey, i do animal management/ animal science at college at level 3, i’m in my first year and so far i really enjoy it, if you enjoy working with animals and learning about animals and wants a future working with them, i really do think this course is something you will enjoy xx
I'm guessing you've finished your Uni Degree now... you're doing exactly what I want to do at uni! Hows the employment now you're out?
Original post by AbbsReeve
I'm guessing you've finished your Uni Degree now... you're doing exactly what I want to do at uni! Hows the employment now you're out?

Hi

I'm not sure about the OP, but I commented 5 years ago about this course as well! I finished my course, I went to university and studied veterinary nursing and finished that course with a first overall, I am now doing my top up degree. Career prospects are good I love being in practice, looking for a new role with clinical coaching! Been qualified nearly 2 years!
I am currently doing animal management level 3, beforehand I did two level 2 courses, But I was told that if I don't pass my maths this year then I won't be able to do the 2nd year of animal management.
But I've finally got an idea of what I want to do which is to work in veterinary, but since I haven't done a veterinary course and might not be able to do the 2nd year will I be able to do work in veterinary?
As my college has a veterinary course but the requirements are 5 GCSEs at grade 4 which I sadly don't have, anyone know whether if you have done previous college courses would that count towards the entry requirements?
Done an animal care work-base level 2, Animal care technical level 2 - and level 2 is apparently equivalent to a GCSE, so will they accept that to allow me to do the course?

OR, if I am unable to do a Veterinary course would a vets accept me for having an animal management level 3 qualification?
My theory exam was today, and i'm a bit worried as beforehand have been doing loads of revision for the subjects my teachers said to focus on. My teacher told us some things that would be in the exam so i also revised those things thinking it was going to be in there but it wasn't.

I feel like i did really badly, i didn't get some of the questions and you need 25 marks to pass I don't feel like i achieved this, do you think i would be able to re-take it?
Please can someone who has completed Animal Management level 3 respond quickly.

I have to re-take the theory exam, Just wondering wether they will give me the same exam paper as before, as i'm not really sure on what to revise and if I fail this time then I fail the course.
Hi Alice

I’ve completed level 3 year one and just finished level 3 year 2. I passed with distinctions and distinction stars. I am more than happy to help with anything if you require.

no theory exam from what I know off will be the same

lauren :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by QwerKiZ
Hi, so I'm going to college in September and was wondering what your thoughts are on Animal Management? Has anyone here took it, and if so what are your next plans and how did you find the course? I say this, because I'm not exactly sure if I should take this course, after I have read people's opinions on it, saying things like there aren't many jobs in the animal field or that it's a worthless course that doesn't teach you anything.

I'm currently torn between this BTEC or A-Levels. I don't think I will be able to study most A levels that I'm interested in as my Maths and English will only be around a C.

So to sum it up, what are your thoughts on this BTEC course, would you say it is worth it doing it? I just need to decide what's best for me. Thanks!

Hi

I’ve completed level 3 year one and just finished level 3 year 2. I passed with distinctions and distinction stars. I am more than happy to help with anything if you require
Original post by Alicehale6
Please can someone who has completed Animal Management level 3 respond quickly.

I have to re-take the theory exam, Just wondering wether they will give me the same exam paper as before, as i'm not really sure on what to revise and if I fail this time then I fail the course.

Hi

I’ve completed level 3 year one and just finished level 3 year 2. I passed with distinctions and distinction stars. I am more than happy to help with anything if you require
Original post by QwerKiZ
Hi, so I'm going to college in September and was wondering what your thoughts are on Animal Management? Has anyone here took it, and if so what are your next plans and how did you find the course? I say this, because I'm not exactly sure if I should take this course, after I have read people's opinions on it, saying things like there aren't many jobs in the animal field or that it's a worthless course that doesn't teach you anything.

I'm currently torn between this BTEC or A-Levels. I don't think I will be able to study most A levels that I'm interested in as my Maths and English will only be around a C.

So to sum it up, what are your thoughts on this BTEC course, would you say it is worth it doing it? I just need to decide what's best for me. Thanks!

hi guys so i am currently doing btec level 3 animal managment and I LOVE IT! Its a little stressful with the assignments but as soon as you get the structure of them youll be amazing. I recieved all passes in my gcses and decided that A-Levels wasnt for me because i absolutely hated science. I was told that if i did btec my chances of becoming a veterinarian was slim but due to my grades not being 8s or 9s they already was so i changed my idea and ive decided to be a vet nurse instead :smile: I love my course and do not regret it, the people in my course are good its very teamwork style and way more hands on with animals.
hey, you would have done animal biology, do you have any revision tips for me?
Original post by laurenevans30
Hi

I would say start on Level 2 and see if it's something you really want to do first
Reply 38
Original post by QwerKiZ
Hi, so I'm going to college in September and was wondering what your thoughts are on Animal Management? Has anyone here took it, and if so what are your next plans and how did you find

Hi,
I'm in the same situation currently and I've noticed your post is 9 years old, do you have any advice? Is the animal management course worth it?
Thanks
Original post by Emma_Jayne95
Hi, I've just completed my first year of Level 3 Animal Management. It definitely isn't easy due to the amount of coursework you have to complete for it (so far I have a lever arch folder bursting with completed assignments) and I have learnt a lot so far but then I guess that depends on where you study. When I finish the course I am planning on going into veterinary, whether it be nursing or medicine.
I previously did my As levels because I chose them over the BTEC and I really regret it as I knew I would benefit from a course based more on assignments rather than exams. What A levels are you thinking of doing?
I know this was a really long time ago and you may not see it but how did you do A levels and a BTEC, did you have to pay for the second year of the BTEC? Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending