The Student Room Group

Told universities don't allow repeating a year.

Hello,

Today I was told by the head of admin that it is impossible to repeat my second and no one is allowed to repeat a year of university, surely this is incorrect?

I'm a mature student who has just finished my second year. Due to extenuating circumstances with issues with a difficult pregnancy and homelessness and family becoming brain damaged, I did not achieve the grades I had hoped for (56.9% overall) because 4 of my units were capped at 40% due to not being able to attend assessments because I was in hospital.

I was told it's not possible to repeat the year because the grades have already been put on the system. I was told to just accept it. Surely it's possible to repeat a year otherwise student finance would not fund an extra year for repeats?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Original post by jaydeleigh
Hello,

Today I was told by the head of admin that it is impossible to repeat my second and no one is allowed to repeat a year of university, surely this is incorrect?

I'm a mature student who has just finished my second year. Due to extenuating circumstances with issues with a difficult pregnancy and homelessness and family becoming brain damaged, I did not achieve the grades I had hoped for (56.9% overall) because 4 of my units were capped at 40% due to not being able to attend assessments because I was in hospital.

I was told it's not possible to repeat the year because the grades have already been put on the system. I was told to just accept it. Surely it's possible to repeat a year otherwise student finance would not fund an extra year for repeats?

It's up to your university but it's definitely possible to repeat a year if you fail. I'm not sure about in your case because you've passed but you should be able to repeat if you've been ill or had family problems. Talk to your tutor and if they say no then get advice from your student's union. They'll know the procedure to appeal.
My uni doesn't allow you to resit unless you've failed both the first attempt and resits.

Did you apply for mitigating circumstances for the occasions that you were in hospital? Most unis would let you do an uncapped sitting in August in those circumstances.

Either way, given that this is only your second year and your grades this year weren't dreadful, you should be able to pull up your grades overall (and therefore your classification) next year :smile:
Original post by jaydeleigh
Hello,

It is true that people who pass are often not allowed to retake a year at university simply to get better grades. However did you explain your extenuating circumstances with evidence? Your university might be more sympathetic if you can provide this.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending