The Student Room Group

TSR ON THE BBC: Students complain of bad A-level advice for degree path

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
A part of me says that people should do their research before choosing which subjects to take. At the same time I think help should be provided

I completely agree most universities are explicit about the requirements they have, and well it should be quite obvious that biology would be important for medicine, maths would be important for engineering, and history for literature.

Nonetheless what's the point of paying for an adviser if they're so poor at their job?
I was laughed at when I mentioned Cambridge... :colonhash:

Luckily I ignored and still chose the right a levels.

Though I agree people don't get good advice and pick rubbish stuff
When I decided on my A-Levels I didn't even want to go to uni, I decided on that in the second year of college.
yes, teachers at my school pushing for maths and science even though that is completely not suitable for me.
STEM isn't everything- perfectly good jobs out there following arts degrees!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I was laughed at when I mentioned Cambridge... :colonhash:

Luckily I ignored and still chose the right a levels.

Though I agree people don't get good advice and pick rubbish stuff

Yeah as if these people could know you better than you...
Original post by DErasmus
Yeah as if these people could know you better than you...

Well it was a state school lady :mad:
Well it was a state school lady :mad:

And you think nobody in a state school knows anything about Cambridge, or went there?
I managed to get really good advice D: Obviously not every teacher is going to know what A Level subjects to choose for each specific degree, but they advised us to look on the university websites and we got 2 or more meetings with Assistant Heads to ascertain whether our A Level options were good or not for the degrees we wanted :tongue:

I think a very large amount of girls at my school wanted to apply to Oxbridge so it was just an unspoken kind of destination when we went to the meetings :tongue:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
And you think nobody in a state school knows anything about Cambridge, or went there?

Not in my former school, no.

In state schools yes, but I went to a terrible one. Was targeted at foreigners and disabled people, and left the rest to suffer.

Hence less than 30% had 5 A*-C, probably even less with maths and English, so nope, none of them were qualified to give advice imo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do people need 'advice'? Surely by the time you're ready to go to college, you should have decent knowledge of good and bad A-levels, as well as the path, if not the direct career, which you want to go into. Saying that, it doesn't stop idiots taking subjects like Psychology, Sociology and Drama
Reply 90
Original post by jake4198
Why do people need 'advice'? Surely by the time you're ready to go to college, you should have decent knowledge of good and bad A-levels, as well as the path, if not the direct career, which you want to go into. Saying that, it doesn't stop idiots taking subjects like Psychology, Sociology and Drama

Well, some people aren't ready for college

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence less than 30% had 5 A*-C, probably even less with maths and English, so nope, none of them were qualified to give advice imo.

The staff?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
Well, some people aren't ready for college

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do agree that there are hidden requirements which career advisers don't tend to mention. I was told straight sciences and maths would suffice perfectly for Engineering; I was wise enough to take FM instead of Biology, knowing it's needed for any Russle Group Engineering course. Basically, just look at the potential degrees you might do and the aspiring unis - don't leave it to a 3rd party.

Someone with a little more experience of the world advising a student would know that grades are more important than subjects and therefore once one moves outside the absolute academic top drawer, it would be much better to recommend that someone take sociology rather than say maths or history if the adviser thinks they have the potential to get a B in sociology but only a C or D in those other two subjects. The B is likely to open more doors than sociology closes.
People keep talking about how people should know what they want to study at uni, but what about if they change their minds on what course they want to study during A-levels and aren't taking suitable subjects for their new courses. Surely simply advising children to think about alternative courses alone would be a good one!
Original post by nulli tertius
Someone with a little more experience of the world advising a student would know that grades are more important than subjects and therefore once one moves outside the absolute academic top drawer, it would be much better to recommend that someone take sociology rather than say maths or history if the adviser thinks they have the potential to get a B in sociology but only a C or D in those other two subjects. The B is likely to open more doors than sociology closes.

It may open more doors in regards to the degree they can do; but in terms of earning potential, they will be limited by it. Advertising a C in A-level maths is unquestionably more desirable than advertising a B (or even A) in sociology. In the real world, the hardline subjects go much further
Original post by carnationlilyrose
X

Oh you mean the staff who were there maybe half the time? No, I'm sure they were fully qualified.

But considering they didn't even know about what UMS was I wouldn't have held my breath.
It may open more doors in regards to the degree they can do; but in terms of earning potential, they will be limited by it. Advertising a C in A-level maths is unquestionably more desirable than advertising a B (or even A) in sociology. In the real world, the hardline subjects go much further

Wait until you get into the real world and you will see that A level subject choice is of extremely limited relevance for graduates.

However, the real flaw in your argument is that you make the assumption that the person ends up in the same place. For example the student with the B in sociology is reading law at Liverpool. The person with the C in maths is reading law at Cumbria.
Original post by nulli tertius
Wait until you get into the real world and you will see that A level subject choice is of extremely limited relevance for graduates.

However, the real flaw in your argument is that you make the assumption that the person ends up in the same place. For example the student with the B in sociology is reading law at Liverpool. The person with the C in maths is reading law at Cumbria.

I wouldn't recommend maths for law. My point was maths opens more degrees than sociology in regards to earning potential. To do well in law, you need straight As and to go to among the best law schools in the country.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
People keep talking about how people should know what they want to study at uni, but what about if they change their minds on what course they want to study during A-levels and aren't taking suitable subjects for their new courses. Surely simply advising children to think about alternative courses alone would be a good one!

If they are doing the A levels for the course they said they originally wanted to do, and then changed their minds half way through, that isn't something a school can make contingency pans for. If the advice was correct for the first course, then the school has advised appropriately. There would be complaints if the school had prevented the student from doing the exact A levels required for the course the student said they wanted to do, just in case the student changed their mind in future. If such a change takes place, then the only option is usually retaking the year with different subjects, but it's hardly fair to blame the school for a change of mind. We can only operate on the assumption that what the student says they want to do is correct. We can't foretell the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending