The Student Room Group

How do secondary PGCEs work?

I am thinking of doing a secondary (Psychology) PGCE. I have a degree in Psychology, 2:1, which I achieved in 2010. I have an A in A-Level Psychology and an A in GCSE. So qualifications-wise, I'm there.

However, this was a long time ago, and dare I say that I've probably forgot most of what I've learned by now!

So I'm wondering - how do secondary PGCEs work for Psychology? Would I be learning the syllabus on the PGCE itself?
Original post by KettleMan
I am thinking of doing a secondary (Psychology) PGCE. I have a degree in Psychology, 2:1, which I achieved in 2010. I have an A in A-Level Psychology and an A in GCSE. So qualifications-wise, I'm there.

However, this was a long time ago, and dare I say that I've probably forgot most of what I've learned by now!

So I'm wondering - how do secondary PGCEs work for Psychology? Would I be learning the syllabus on the PGCE itself?

From my experience (not psychology) you will be expected to get up to speed on your subject knowledge yourself, while the course will focus on teaching strategies etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by myblueheaven339
From my experience (not psychology) you will be expected to get up to speed on your subject knowledge yourself, while the course will focus on teaching strategies etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply.
Do you think the same also applies to primary teaching? (I'm torn between the 2)

It will vary from course to course. Generally, the pgce is there to teach you how to teach and your uni lectures will be about teaching theory. Some might have the odd lesson on the syllabus but this is generally something you research yourself. Your mentor at your school placements will guide you as each school does it differently.
Thanks for the reply.
Do you think the same also applies to primary teaching? (I'm torn between the 2)

Yes. There are more jobs in primary teaching than there are as a psychology teacher too. Psychology isn't a subject that is widely taught at GCSE so there wouldn't a huge demand for teachers of it.
Reply 5
Original post by Shelly_x
Yes. There are more jobs in primary teaching than there are as a psychology teacher too. Psychology isn't a subject that is widely taught at GCSE so there wouldn't a huge demand for teachers of it.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I see what you mean about Psychology not being common at GCSE. It is common in colleges though, so would secondary train me to teach in colleges also?

For primary, my GCSE maths, english and science grades were CCB respectively, so not too great. Whereas I got an A on A-Level Psychology and 2:1 on the degree, which is why I think secondary is more suited to me? It's so hard to decide though :frown:
Reply 6
Or maybe a post-compulsary PGCE? As Psychology is most common in sixth forms
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I see what you mean about Psychology not being common at GCSE. It is common in colleges though, so would secondary train me to teach in colleges also?

For primary, my GCSE maths, english and science grades were CCB respectively, so not too great. Whereas I got an A on A-Level Psychology and 2:1 on the degree, which is why I think secondary is more suited to me? It's so hard to decide though :frown:

It is likely you'll be trained to teach at college level on your pgce yes, as you say it is more popular there. I was just making you aware of the fact that there are more jobs in primary than in psychology. Remember each college will only have 2 psychology teachers at the most. Not saying you shouldn't go down this route into secondary though if that is what you are more suited to! Another option you could take is to do a social sciences pgce.

Don't choose what pgce you want to do based on your qualifications. You are qualified for both primary and secondary. Choose what you want to do based on which route suits you the best/you enjoy the most. Teaching primary age is very different to teaching secondary/college so go with the one you enjoy the most.
Reply 8
It is likely you'll be trained to teach at college level on your pgce yes, as you say it is more popular there. I was just making you aware of the fact that there are more jobs in primary than in psychology. Remember each college will only have 2 psychology teachers at the most. Not saying you shouldn't go down this route into secondary though if that is what you are more suited to! Another option you could take is to do a social sciences pgce.

Don't choose what pgce you want to do based on your qualifications. You are qualified for both primary and secondary. Choose what you want to do based on which route suits you the best/you enjoy the most. Teaching primary age is very different to teaching secondary/college so go with the one you enjoy the most.

Thanks for your help
Thanks for your help

I echo what Shelly says but also wanted to say that you should make sure you get experience in both types of schools. Email/phone around various schools that you are able to get to and ask if you can go in an observe some teaching and possibly be a TA. This way you can truly compare the two and see what you would rather do (after being in a primary for 2 days I knew I wouldn't want to do it there but there again I was observing younger years)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending