The Student Room Group

Help in being accepted as home student!

Hi guys,

I have a little bit of a problem with applying to university. Basically, I was living in the UK for a good 6years uptil year 9 and then we had to move away because my dad got employed abroad so I've done my GCSEs from Pakistan and I'm gonna do my A levels from here too. I have a British passport and I want to go back to UK for university but the problem is I NEED to be accepted as a home student because international fees are TOO DAMN HIGH! (Β£9000 against Β£20,000) btw I want to do medicine.

Any ideas on what I should do? or anyone who has been in a similar situation, pleaseeee help!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well you have to live in this country 3 years before starting university. Contact the university your applying and they should be able to help you
Unless you have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, you cannot be classified as a home student by the student finance company; it has nothing to do with the actual universities. Either pay the higher fees or go to medical school in Pakistan.
Reply 3
Original post by nemoshish
Well you have to live in this country 3 years before starting university. Contact the university your applying and they should be able to help you

This pretty much.

Take a gap year after Doing A levels in the UK
Reply 4
Original post by Pectorac
Unless you have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, you cannot be classified as a home student by the student finance company; it has nothing to do with the actual universities. Either pay the higher fees or go to medical school in Pakistan.

Are there no special cases? Sometimes, they ask you to fill a fee status questionnaire to determine your fee status in which you give the reason for your absence and if they feel convinced, it may well be that they assign you the home status. I'm just curious as to what to say you know because the reason that we had to move was because of family reasons and how grandad needed help with assets etc after grandmas death.
Original post by ibs11
Are there no special cases? Sometimes, they ask you to fill a fee status questionnaire to determine your fee status in which you give the reason for your absence and if they feel convinced, it may well be that they assign you the home status. I'm just curious as to what to say you know because the reason that we had to move was because of family reasons and how grandad needed help with assets etc after grandmas death.

If you feel you already know, why are you asking? I've never heard of any exceptions; why don't you do your medical degree in Pakistan? To be honest, your family moving to Pakistan to help with assets won't count for much, due to online banking being so prevalent and being able to email and internationally phone solicitors and foreign banks.

Really it could have all been dealt with without moving to another country; if someone really had to go out there, your dad could have gone there for a few weeks or something, not move your whole family there to live, just for that reason.
Live here for 3 years, and you will be again a home student. Or another option, is to start to work, and so you will be classified as migrant worker, so you get funded
I never lived in the UK before moving here for uni but because I have a British passport I pay home fees, although that might be because I have always been in the EU. You should check with the university/ies you wanna apply to and see what they say about it, it's the only way you'll know for sure
Original post by alexschmalex
I never lived in the UK before moving here for uni but because I have a British passport I pay home fees, although that might be because I have always been in the EU. You should check with the university/ies you wanna apply to and see what they say about it, it's the only way you'll know for sure

Yes it's because you've always been in the EU as Europe has free movement between its countries. The OP should not contact the universities because it has nothing to do with them; it is up to the student finance company whether they are classed as a home or international student, and the universities have no say in that.
Reply 9
Original post by Sweet8sasa
Live here for 3 years, and you will be again a home student. Or another option, is to start to work, and so you will be classified as migrant worker, so you get funded

Could you briefly explain that please? Does it count if you do a part time job at some shop or something?
Reply 10
If you feel you already know, why are you asking? I've never heard of any exceptions; why don't you do your medical degree in Pakistan? To be honest, your family moving to Pakistan to help with assets won't count for much, due to online banking being so prevalent and being able to email and internationally phone solicitors and foreign banks.

Really it could have all been dealt with without moving to another country; if someone really had to go out there, your dad could have gone there for a few weeks or something, not move your whole family there to live, just for that reason.

I didn't mean to say that that was solely the reason for us moving. Grandad is old and he needed someone to stay with him, and he was reluctant on coming to the UK. I'm just wondering whether or not that would be a good enough reason for the universities
Yes it's because you've always been in the EU as Europe has free movement between its countries. The OP should not contact the universities because it has nothing to do with them; it is up to the student finance company whether they are classed as a home or international student, and the universities have no say in that.

Oh right, didn't deal with student finance so had no clue. In that case, wishing you the best of luck OP!
Original post by ibs11
I didn't mean to say that that was solely the reason for us moving. Grandad is old and he needed someone to stay with him, and he was reluctant on coming to the UK. I'm just wondering whether or not that would be a good enough reason for the universities

Again, not really. Elderly people who need support should either go into a care home, or have a live-in carer, or at least a carer who comes to the house a few times a day to help them. His reluctance to move and not look into the different options available is still no reason to relocate your family, when there were much easier options available that weren't explored properly. He could have gone into a care home in Pakistan or had house carers there, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
So about this 3 year thing, is it an absolute must to stay in the UK for the complete 3 years? or is it okay if you were living there for any time duration in the past 3 years before starting uni? For example a year or two.
Original post by ibs11
So about this 3 year thing, is it an absolute must to stay in the UK for the complete 3 years? or is it okay if you were living there for any time duration in the past 3 years before starting uni? For example a year or two.

You need to have lived in the UK for 3 years before starting your degree to be classed as a home student. How can you call yourself a home student if you have not been living in the home country? You can't. You need to provide proof you have stayed in the UK for 3 years, with things like being in full-time education or having worked and stayed in the country.
Well it seems to be everyone explained well, you need to decide either study in Pakistan or move back to UK and live here for 3 years, then apply for uni in the UK
Reply 16
The same problem as me! I would be five months short of three years If I don't take a gap year. Can anyone help me in being classified as a home student without taking a gap year please?
Original post by Surtee332
The same problem as me! I would be five months short of three years If I don't take a gap year. Can anyone help me in being classified as a home student without taking a gap year please?

You can't. The whole point of the 3 year rule is that you need to show student finance that you have contributed tax money to the system, as tuition fee loans are all paid by taxpayers' money. You need to show them that you deserve 3 years of financial help by contributing 3 years of VAT and/or national insurance and income tax to the UK tax system, as a standard UK degree is 3 years long.
(edited 9 years ago)
Whats wrong with some of the pakistan universities?

Some really good universities for medicine i would recommend you having a look

http://www.nust.edu.pk/Pages/Home.aspx
http://www.lums.edu.pk/
http://www.pu.edu.pk/
Reply 19
Original post by Surtee332

So what are you gonna do?

Quick Reply

Latest