The Student Room Group

Joint honors english pgce

I'm interested in applying for an English PGCE once I finish my degree. However at the minute, my degree is English Literature and Philosophy, and I'm a little worried that in going to be at a massive disadvantage against people who are doing single honours in an English subject. I still have time to switch to single honours and I'm wondering whether I should. It would be a shame as I love philosophy, but ultimately getting on the PGCE is the important thing. Anyone have any advice? Will I be at a disadvantage at all?
Original post by Rosey203
I'm interested in applying for an English PGCE once I finish my degree. However at the minute, my degree is English Literature and Philosophy, and I'm a little worried that in going to be at a massive disadvantage against people who are doing single honours in an English subject. I still have time to switch to single honours and I'm wondering whether I should. It would be a shame as I love philosophy, but ultimately getting on the PGCE is the important thing. Anyone have any advice? Will I be at a disadvantage at all?

No you won't be at a disadvantage, so long as at least 50% of your degree is in English. My degree was joint honours and I got on a course fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
No you won't be at a disadvantage, so long as at least 50% of your degree is in English. My degree was joint honours and I got on a course fine.

Thanks, this is really good to know! So many of the courses specify they want you have a degree in an English related subject but don't say whether joint honors is acceptable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending