The Student Room Group

EU student - Budapest ->London flight - how to get to Norwich?

So I'm flying to London on sept 17. I'll be going to uni in Norwich, the question is how do I get to Norwich from the airport in London? Bus or train? Do you guys know any websites I can buy tickets from?
What airport are you flying into?

Liverpool Street is the station where trains go to Norwich. However if you're flying into Stansted, there is a direct train to Norwich from Stansted.
Original post by driftawaay
So I'm flying to London on sept 17. I'll be going to uni in Norwich, the question is how do I get to Norwich from the airport in London? Bus or train? Do you guys know any websites I can buy tickets from?

There are 5 London airports - which one are you going into?
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
There are 5 London airports - which one are you going into?

Oh I haven't bought my tickets yet but the two airlines I've been looking at go to London Luton and London Stansted.

So if I fly to London Luton -> I will need to get to Liverpool Street Station -> take a train to Norwich

If I fly to Stansted -> train to Norwich

So I guess I'll be going to Stansted then and it's closer to Norwich anyway.

I've looked at train tickets but apparently you can only buy in advance if you're from the UK and I'm looking at coaches as well
Original post by angelfox
What airport are you flying into?

Liverpool Street is the station where trains go to Norwich. However if you're flying into Stansted, there is a direct train to Norwich from Stansted.

I don't think there's a direct train but if you change at Ely, it normally takes about 90 minutes to get to Stansted.

OP, if you're coming into Heathrow or Gatwick and want to avoid London's public transport with your suitcases I would suggest the National Express coach...
OP, if you have a choice between the airports I'd definitely recommend flying to Stansted rather than Luton. From Stansted, you should only need to make one change (either at Cambridge or Ely). From Luton, you have to get a bus from the airport to the nearby train station, and then go into London and get the tube across to Liverpool Street to catch your train to Norwich! Quite a mission, especially since I'd assume you'll have a fair amount of luggage! :smile:
Oh I haven't bought my tickets yet but the two airlines I've been looking at go to London Luton and London Stansted.

So if I fly to London Luton -> I will need to get to Liverpool Street Station -> take a train to Norwich

If I fly to Stansted -> train to Norwich

So I guess I'll be going to Stansted then and it's closer to Norwich anyway.

I've looked at train tickets but apparently you can only buy in advance if you're from the UK and I'm looking at coaches as well

I would agree with Stansted but as alexcs has said its two trains rather than several from Luton.
Original post by jelly1000
I would agree with Stansted but as alexcs has said its two trains rather than several from Luton.

Only two trains. However, OP will still have to get the bus from Luton airport to Luton airport parkway, and the tube from Farringdon to Liverpool Street. Makes it a more complicated journey than simply changing from one train to another at either Ely or Cambridge, particularly when using the underground with lots of luggage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks guys!

I actually think I'm going to abandon the train idea and go with the coach option. I looked at the National Express website and there's coaches from both Luton and Stansted Airport not only to Norwich but straight to the university I'm going to! So that will save a lot of hassle and I certainly don't want to suffer through different bus stations and take several trains with all my luggage, haha.
Remember not to wear blue and white in Norwich- it may not go down well. Also a Delia Smith cook book is essential in Norwich.

Good luck!
Thanks guys!

I actually think I'm going to abandon the train idea and go with the coach option. I looked at the National Express website and there's coaches from both Luton and Stansted Airport not only to Norwich but straight to the university I'm going to! So that will save a lot of hassle and I certainly don't want to suffer through different bus stations and take several trains with all my luggage, haha.

Not a bad idea to be honest! At least once you're on the coach, you don't have to worry about your luggage or changing from bus to train to tube etc. Getting to Norwich through London is also fairly expensive I've been told (don't know how true it is though), so it might save you money as well. Have a safe journey! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest