The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Geography @ Durham

From the Durhamite Directory, it seems that plenty of those on here are cool people, ie Geographers. Seeing as all the other Geography threads are old, I figured we needed a brand spanking new one....

How many elective modules do we get in the first year? Can you take two modules from outside Geography? The website says different things about this so I was a bit stuck.

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Geographers are cool.

Anyway, yes you can do 2 modules from outside geography. However, both the geography electives are really good.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'll second that....geographers are the coolest :biggrin: :proud:
Reply 3
THe geography electives are (as of last year):

Cities: From Greeks to Globalisation
Environment and Society

The first is quite humany, generally all about cities and themes of change through time, the second more about different societies and their impacts on the environment, pretty self-explanatory really. they are both good as well :biggrin:
Reply 4
But you can do electives from basically any subject, as long as they are first year ones and worth 20 credits. The full list of these modules can be found here.... http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_search/?year=2006&search_keyword=&search_dept=&search_type=O&search_level=1&search_credits=20&search_modcode=

Hope that helps:smile:
Reply 5
Thank you very much Rach! Also, if you're not a Stockton Campus student, can you do modules there? (I was thinking Introduction to Economics)
Introction to Economics is not a Stockton module. Economics (L100) is taught in the city.
Reply 7
Kid:Probably not, as it'd be a huge trek between the two campuses.
I also can't find an intro to economics module, anyone know what its number is?
ECON1011 is Elements of Economics which is basically introduction to economics. No prior knowlege of economics is needed AFAIK. It is an open module and is taught at the Econ and Finance Department, not at Stockton.
Reply 9
Okay thats cool - I also didn't read it was tied to one of the Finance ones anyhow.

So you'd recommend Elements of Economics?
Reply 10
It's got a corequisite of " * All other compulsory Level 1 modules" so I doubt you could take it anyway, especially since it'd be 20 miles from your other modules.
Yeh, its made for people who havnt done the A-Level, like me!! Also if you wanted a more mathematical module then you could do Economic Methods.
arkbar
It's got a corequisite of " * All other compulsory Level 1 modules" so I doubt you could take it anyway, especially since it'd be 20 miles from your other modules.

What? The one I am reading has no correquisites? Which module are you talking about?
Oh ok. Yeh thats the module at Stockton. I was talking about the Elements of Economics module taught in the city which seems a much better choice for the OP.
Is there a restriction on what subject modules we can take...I wanted to pick up a law module in the first year as I did it at A level but it said it's tied or something...very confusing!
Reply 16
Right, some modules have co-requisites of other subjects, meaning that you have to do both the modules together, rather than one individually. In addition, I think some modules are restricted to students from the department only.
wooooooooooo geographers are fab to the max!

i want to do politics options for my two options this year but they seem to clash:frown: not really sure if there is anything that can be done about this

so who here is human and who is physical?
Reply 18
Do they clash red or yellow? If yellow it'll probably be fine.
I'm human, as is dobbs, Rach and Timothy are physical.
arkbar
some modules are restricted to students from the department only.

That's a bit rubbish

Latest