The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What should I put down on the form if I want to be in Goodricke?

I recently went on holiday and when I came back I found my welcome pack had arrived. I know some people might think me odd, but I'd really like to be in Goodricke, I visited it on an open day and it really didn't look as bad as it sounded, plus I really liked the atmosphere there. The idea of 'best college spirit' also really appeals to me. The problem is I have no idea what to put on the special preferences bit... can anyone help? I'm applying for a standard room, but 38 week let. Thanks in advance for all who reply! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Just write down what you just told us and hope for the best.
University of York
York
Reply 2
I was in Goodricke and put down 33 week let - I don't know if you'll get Goodricke with a 38 week let. Having said that, once you're there you can ask for an extension on your let through the Easter so it doesn't make much difference. I'd put down a standard 33 week let if I were you, and in the bit at the bottom say you'd like to be in Goodricke because it was recommended to you or something. They won't get many people asking to be in Goodricke.
Reply 3
eh.. i think you may regret actually wanting to live in goodricke, trust me you will prefer the accomadation offered by Alcuin or James
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies :smile:

Poica- is it a lot of trouble to extend your let? Do I have to pay extra or anything like that? By the way, how did you like Goodricke? I visited it when I went on the open day and I went to the block where the tour guide Annabel (I think?) stayed. They said that someone stole some chairs from the kitchen or something, haha. It was on the second floor. Is that C block?

dandan- I visited Goodricke on open day so I know what it looks like. I really don't care about the state of the accommodation, I'd rather have a good atmosphere over that any day. Were you staying in Goodricke?
Reply 5
Alcuin is way the best college :tongue:
Reply 6
happyslacker
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies :smile:

Poica- is it a lot of trouble to extend your let? Do I have to pay extra or anything like that? By the way, how did you like Goodricke? I visited it when I went on the open day and I went to the block where the tour guide Annabel (I think?) stayed. They said that someone stole some chairs from the kitchen or something, haha. It was on the second floor. Is that C block?

dandan- I visited Goodricke on open day so I know what it looks like. I really don't care about the state of the accommodation, I'd rather have a good atmosphere over that any day. Were you staying in Goodricke?

on only a few nights with a lady, wink. Goodricke can be nice if they show you the nice bits during open days. I bet they didnt show you the rooms with large mould patchs, or the rats that run around, i.e. C BLock, known affectionately as Prisoner Cell Block H on campus. And happyslapper take it from someone who knows, go to dewent or langwith if you want the social life and a decent room.
happyslacker

You really cannot guarantee "good atmosphere" for you personally at any college. "Good atmosphere" all depends upon you actually liking the people you're put with.. if everyone else on your corridor loves each other, it'd most likely be said that there's a "good atmosphere", but if you think they're all tossers, who cares?

Take it from me. I was originally in Derwent, d block, the rumoured mecca of good atmospheres etc. Now it very much looked like there was a "good atmosphere" there - almost everyone in the block seemed to get on with everyone else, but they just weren't really my type of people, so the fact that there was a "good atmsophere" effectively meant nothing to me.
Reply 8
i.e. C BLock, known affectionately as Prisoner Cell Block H on campus.

It's cell block C...

Asbestos, microwave pantries and breezeblocks, I can see why people choose to be in Goodricke :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I've heard a lot of conflicting things from various people (not on this forum, but who go to york). Someone told me langwith is a depressing place to be and dandan you've just said that in langwith you have a great social life. I guess a place is what you make of it. You make a good point, Tonight_Matthew, about the atmosphere. Might just leave the form blank, and leave things up to chance. Btw dandan why do you think Goodricke people have less of a 'decent social life?' Just curious to know.
Not much asbestos now, they've been tearing it out all summer.
Reply 11
dandan
on only a few nights with a lady, wink. Goodricke can be nice if they show you the nice bits during open days. I bet they didnt show you the rooms with large mould patchs, or the rats that run around, i.e. C BLock, known affectionately as Prisoner Cell Block H on campus. And happyslapper take it from someone who knows, go to dewent or langwith if you want the social life and a decent room.

No offence mate, but that's all crap. I've never seen any mould in Goodricke, there are no rats and overall it's a nice college. I was also in C Block, which has lost much of its Cell Block status since the redecoration of the place. (fyi, so you know it's Cell Block C, for obvious reasons). Basically, it was crappier before it was redecorated, but nowadays there are really no problems with the place. Socially, it's really good as well. Please don't judge the place unless you've lived there.

Extending your let costs no more than the cost of your rest for the extra 5 weeks.
Incidentally, it was our chairs they stole!!! We got them back... :wink:
happyslacker
I've heard a lot of conflicting things from various people (not on this forum, but who go to york). Someone told me langwith is a depressing place to be and dandan you've just said that in langwith you have a great social life. I guess a place is what you make of it. You make a good point, Tonight_Matthew, about the atmosphere. Might just leave the form blank, and leave things up to chance. Btw dandan why do you think Goodricke people have less of a 'decent social life?' Just curious to know.

Basically, don't listen to what anyone says. Some people will tell you xxxx college is ****, whereas others will tell you it's brilliant. Same about every single college, without fail. Everything is absolutely up to who you get put with and whether you get on with them, nothing more, nothing less.
Reply 13
Indeed, it's all part of the college rivalry :wink:

Social life is the same really in the colleges, it's just the facilities that differ. Goodricke has a bad reputation for it's facilities, and it certainly isn't the best on campus. In the same way, I've heard Alcuin described as "penthouses", whereas it's pretty much like any other college, just newer and with better equipped kitchens.
Reply 14
Poica
No offence mate, but that's all crap. I've never seen any mould in Goodricke, there are no rats and overall it's a nice college. I was also in C Block, which has lost much of its Cell Block status since the redecoration of the place. (fyi, so you know it's Cell Block C, for obvious reasons). Basically, it was crappier before it was redecorated, but nowadays there are really no problems with the place. Socially, it's really good as well. Please don't judge the place unless you've lived there.

Extending your let costs no more than the cost of your rest for the extra 5 weeks.

Ok stand corrected, didnt realise they had actually done anything to them, though they were going to set fire to them for insurance :smile: .
Reply 15
Poica

Ok stand corrected, didnt realise they had actually done anything to them, thought they were going to set fire to them for insurance :smile: .

With regards to atmosphere, like someone else on here said depends if you live with nice people or a bunch of C you next-tuesdays.
Reply 16
laser
Indeed, it's all part of the college rivalry :wink:

Social life is the same really in the colleges, it's just the facilities that differ. Goodricke has a bad reputation for it's facilities, and it certainly isn't the best on campus. In the same way, I've heard Alcuin described as "penthouses", whereas it's pretty much like any other college, just newer and with better equipped kitchens.

And bigger and better decorated bedrooms, and en suites, and elevators taking you to each floor, and the kitchens are also huge (about the size of 2 Goodricke kitchens for half the people). Yeah. I wasn't green with envy at all!!
By the way, I kinda disagree on the social life point. Newer colleges like Alcuin and James have a key card system for every level of the building - you can't get onto floor 2 if you live on floor 1 for example. Obviously this makes security very tight, but it also means you only really get to know the 7 people you share a corridor with. The thing I liked about Goodricke was that the whole building could get together and it wasn't a problem as far as key cards etc. were concerned. I think this makes it better as far as a social atmosphere is concerned. People from other colleges undoubtedly disagree, but oh well.
Reply 17
The good thing about Goodricke is indeed the mobility of the blocks. You can visit each other very easily. I would have friends from the bottom floor come up to my room for a chat, I could go and watch tv in my friend's room on middle floor, I could go round the other side for a kitchen parteh. I could not, however, do that in Alcuin! Here's an example: we had a massive capture the flag contest on campus, the two bases being an alcuin kitchen and a goodricke toilet (appropriate :P). Alcuin were able to get to our base no problem once they got past the front door. HOWEVER, not only did our team have to sneak past several keycarded doors, but we reached the flag behind another keycarded door which noone would open for us, and then Alcuin then called the porters to officially eject us. Goodricke, on the other hand, prevented the porters from getting involved. Some spirit there eh ¬_¬

bitterness aside :P Goodricke DID get refurbed, esp Cell Block. In fact the only reasons it gets called that is because the corridors ARE narrow, and for sentimentality. Trust me, after a while you get proud of saying you live there. Almost everyone says "wowwwww - cell block!" when you tell them where you live!

Plus, if you get there, I'll be seeing you probably :P
How did you meet people from the other floors though? Presumably you went downstairs and started talking to them in Freshers week or something.. well, you can do that in the newer colleges, you just need to ring a bell and have someone answer the door. It's not necessarily Fort Knox.
Reply 19
Indeed. Just ring the bell and be let in, so it's not exactly anti-social, just with increased security (which I do like). Plus, with 11 other people on your floor, there's plenty of people on your floor to get on with.

Latest