The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Are my grades good enough for Bristol

Sup y'all,
I applied to uni (for law) this year with AAB at AS and 32 in my LNAT, received offers from Durham and Bristol, and then promptly managed to get ABB at A2. I had Welsh Bacc also, but that wasn't included in either of my offers.
I had a remark, and ended up with AAB, right back where I started, with the B only being around 7 UMS offof an A. Unfortunately by the time I got my remark results they'd already given my place away.
If I reapply next year with my A2 results, which are essentially worth AAAB (given WB is worth an A) how likely do you think I would get an offer for Law?

Cheers for any help you guys can give.
Law is one of the most competitive subjects - and Bristol is a very competitive Uni. The minimum grades required for 2015 are AAA and unless you are eligible for a Contextual Offer (ie. from a low performing school), its likely you wont get an offer with AAB. If you look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Law_offers_2014#University_of_Bristol you can see the Offers made to applicants this year - most were higher than you've now got.

You have two choices here - apply anyway, but with 4 more realistic choices as a back-up (and ones you would be prepared to accept instead of Bristol), or do retakes to improve your grades and apply in 2015.
(edited 9 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by returnmigrant
Law is one of the most competitive subjects - and Bristol is a very competitive Uni. The minimum grades required for 2015 are AAA and unless you are eligible for a Contextual Offer (ie. from a low performing school), its likely you wont get an offer with AAB. If you look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Law_offers_2014#University_of_Bristol you can see the Offers made to applicants this year - most were higher than you've now got.

You have two choices here - apply anyway, but with 4 more realistic choices as a back-up (and ones you would be prepared to accept instead of Bristol), or do retakes to improve your grades and apply in 2015.

Sorry dude, I'm talking about my A2 results here, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my writing. Idk if that factors into your reply particularly, but the info you've given me here is wrong. I received an email back from the university today that because I have the welsh baccalaureate I can substitute the B with an A, essentially applying with AAA for an unconditional offer.
That said, the advice was still relevant, so cheers.
Reply 3
So you know that you've met the offer but you're still asking if you'll get in? I'm slightly confused, because it seems clear that you obviously have a good chance to get a place.

Are you asking if they're still likely to accept you again after you "missed" - although didn't actually miss - their offer this year? I don't see why not. You got in once, you can get in again. I don't think it's something that would work against you, as at the end of the day it shows you are determined to get your place.

It may be worth talking to your reference or careers teacher (even if you've left..I'm sure they're still helping you out right?) and asking them if its a good idea for them to briefly explain, in a sentence or two in the reference, the situation from earlier this year.

On a side note, you know when a university place counts on it, you can/should request urgent remarks. They say they return the result to you within 2 weeks or whenever the deadline is for holding you place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending