The Student Room Group

Help with UMS and Grade Boundaires?

Hey guys. I just need a clear up on something.

I am currently going into year 10, I go to a selective grammar school, so I am very fortunate. But I am so intensely worried about my GCSE's. I am a main A grade student, but just the thought of the exams scare me.

Anyway, on the AQA website it shows the UMS calculator, but it seems a little strange, it shows for Biology an A* is around 73.3%? And Chemistry is 73.3%? And Physics is 73.3%? They are all the same and that surely cannot be correct? Arethe boundaries meant to be so low?

If you can't tell i aim to be a Doctor. I appreciate your help!

The link: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The grade boundaries changes every year or exam, sometimes they're high and sometime's they're low. Maybe, during the time you looked at the results, the boundaries were low.

Have you tried refreshing the page to see if it wasn't the effect of a wrong load or something?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
Original post by Firenze26
The grade boundaries changes every year or exam, sometimes they're high and sometime's they're low. Maybe, during the time you looked at the results, the boundaries were low.

Have you tried refreshing the page to see if it wasn't the effect of a wrong load or something?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

Well on the website even the previous years were around this percentage! So I wondered how so many people came out with like 9 or 10 A*'s!
Yes, this year for example Edexcel Physics A* was 71%. They can be this low, but for example CIE History was 90% for an A*.
Wait until you get to A level and you can have exams where like 50% is an A! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheAppleGeek111
Well on the website even the previous years were around this percentage! So I wondered how so many people came out with like 9 or 10 A*'s!

Are you sure? The boundaries can't stay the same for years unless the students got similar grades with the previous and so on. Maybe something's wrong with the website or something. How long has it been going for? Because if it's only for the past 2 years then it's not that surprising but if it's been going on for more than 5 or something, try checking the site later, maybe they're doing some work on it so the boundaries are a bit wrong.

Or maybe the exams are just that hard so the grade boundaries are pretty low.
Original post by Changing Skies
Wait until you get to A level and you can have exams where like 50% is an A! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're pretty :tongue:
Original post by Heisenberg97
Yes, this year for example Edexcel Physics A* was 71%. They can be this low, but for example CIE History was 90% for an A*.

But i was comparing it through the last few years, and they all seem to be around this region? (the sciences)
Are you sure? The boundaries can't stay the same for years unless the students got similar grades with the previous and so on. Maybe something's wrong with the website or something. How long has it been going for? Because if it's only for the past 2 years then it's not that surprising but if it's been going on for more than 5 or something, try checking the site later, maybe they're doing some work on it so the boundaries are a bit wrong.

Or maybe the exams are just that hard so the grade boundaries are pretty low.

My bad, I think I may have been wrong, but they have never gone above 90% I think. But still, I think that is extremely easy lol!
Original post by Changing Skies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh don't worry... I'm always serious :wink:
But i was comparing it through the last few years, and they all seem to be around this region? (the sciences)
Yes. Getting an A* a GCSE stage in not that much of a big deal. At least not as much as it's made out to be. The thing is, you have to remember all of the content of a 2 year syllabus for just a couple of exams, so you are likely to miss some marks as the papers are generally very long.
Reply 11
For AQA science, the A* grade boundaries tend to be around 45/60, which is 75%

Having done the past papers and stuff, I've seen A* grade boundaries range from 52/60 to 41/60 - it all depends on how hard the paper is etc.
Original post by GrandMasti
Oh don't worry... I'm always serious :wink:

Haha :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aoxa
For AQA science, the A* grade boundaries tend to be around 45/60, which is 75%

Having done the past papers and stuff, I've seen A* grade boundaries range from 52/60 to 41/60 - it all depends on how hard the paper is etc.

Do you by any chance know which year the 52/60 boundary was?

Anyway how were your A-Level results??
Original post by GrandMasti
Anyway how were your A-Level results??

ABB :sigh: :tongue:

Oh and how did you get on with results? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Do you by any chance know which year the 52/60 boundary was?

It was physics. Unit 2. Ummm I want to say it was the 2012 June paper? I remember it had a question on oil droplets and explaining the car speed changes on Q1?

Hope that helped :colondollar:
My bad, I think I may have been wrong, but they have never gone above 90% I think. But still, I think that is extremely easy lol!

Maybe the exam is just that hard and about it being easy, just you wait, trust me, in a few years, getting even half of an exam right can become pretty difficult.

By the way, good luck on your GCSEs, since you're in yr 10, maybe you might do 2 or more of your GCSEs this year.
Instead of using the calculator, check the AQA grade boundaries for the past few years! You can then get a rough idea of how marks you need to get on your test papers to acquire your chosen target grade.
Maybe the exam is just that hard and about it being easy, just you wait, trust me, in a few years, getting even half of an exam right can become pretty difficult.

By the way, good luck on your GCSEs, since you're in yr 10, maybe you might do 2 or more of your GCSEs this year.

Thanks! But is it compulsory to do any exams in year 10? As i would rather do all of them in year 11? Do AQA, Edexcel, etc. demand you do them?

Quick Reply

Latest