The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

A level grades needed to study law?

What A level subjects and results would I need to study law at Bristol?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Law/Maths/Business or Econ is a decent combination, and results wise AAA (plus you'd need to take the LNAT)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Law/Maths/Business or Econ is a decent combination, and results wise AAA (plus you'd need to take the LNAT)

Oh...I could get those grades but I am taking Art, Spanish, English Literature and RS.. They're very essay based and I think they'd be fine for law but it depends whether the uni prefers analytical/essay based subjects or subjects showing logical reasoning. Should I not apply here then?
Original post by kiera28
Oh...I could get those grades but I am taking Art, Spanish, English Literature and RS.. They're very essay based and I think they'd be fine for law but it depends whether the uni prefers analytical/essay based subjects or subjects showing logical reasoning. Should I not apply here then?

You could apply there, but if you don't want to take Law at A-Level, why do you want to study it at University? Not saying you shouldn't, but it would be advantageous. They are a top establishment so it may be slightly difficult to convince them you're capable of doing well in Law, but you could always give it a shot. Good luck.
Your A level subjects are fine, for Bristol and other reputable unis. Some universities prefer applicants not to take law at A level, so it's fine for you not to do so. Drop art after the first year if you are going to drop one.

The main thing is that you must get top grades, not just to get into university but also to give you the best chance at getting a training contact after your degree. Get AAA or better at A2 if you can.
(edited 9 years ago)
You could apply there, but if you don't want to take Law at A-Level, why do you want to study it at University? Not saying you shouldn't, but it would be advantageous. They are a top establishment so it may be slightly difficult to convince them you're capable of doing well in Law, but you could always give it a shot. Good luck.

I can't take law A level at my school either. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bummer, any chance you could move to one that does? If you really want to do it at A-Level. It's not too late. See how you find your current subjects for a week or so first, though. When I said it may be advantageous to take Law, I meant it would help during your degree, not for the application.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Crumpet1
Your A level subjects are fine, for Bristol and other reputable unis. Some universities prefer applicants not to take law at A level, so it's fine for you not to do so. Drop art after the first year if you are going to drop one.

The main thing is that you must get top grades, not just to get into university but also to give you the best chance at getting a training contact after your degree. Get AAA or better at A2 if you can.

I can't take Law A level or any non-traditional subject at my school. I really love art and see it as a break from work so if I must I'll do four A levels, as I really don't want to drop it. :smile: Okay, thanks for the help:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Bummer, any chance you could move to one that does? If you really want to do it at A-Level. It's not too late. See how you find your current subjects for a week or so first, though. When I said it may be advantageous to take Law, I meant it would help during your degree, not for the application.

I do Law at uni, I don't go to Bristol but most uni's are indifferent as to whether you do Law, some even discourage it because it means you think you know parts of your 1st and/or 2nd year syllabus and in reality, you don't, you know it in easy mode. It really doesn't matter whether you do law or not, just do well in your subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I do Law at uni, I don't go to Bristol but most uni's are indifferent as to whether you do Law, some even discourage it because it means you think you know parts of your 1st and/or 2nd year syllabus and in reality, you don't, you know it in easy mode. It really doesn't matter whether you do law or not, just do well in your subjects.

I said it's advantageous in terms of the degree, which it is. Nothing to do with getting in. Like I said. If you read what I said. You would have seen that. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Some unis don't like it if you study law at a-level.

It also might be worth looking into conversion courses - doing a degree in whatever and converting to law afterwards.
A Law A-level isn't important, my cousin studies law at Warwick and was told to forget everything she learned at A-level.
Original post by kiera28
What A level subjects and results would I need to study law at Bristol?

I'm doing the same subjects except Maths instead of Spanish and also hope to do Law at a Russell group uni. Bristol requires AAA. I'd say your combination is perfect since you have two essay based to show your analytical skills, Spanish and art which are out of the box to show you're well rounded. Which one will you drop at AS?
Reply 13

I said it's advantageous in terms of the degree, which it is. Nothing to do with getting in. Like I said. If you read what I said. You would have seen that. :rolleyes:

I read. That, sir is about getting in. It won't be difficult, write a good personal statement and try and get some work experience and you've shown intent. I've already said that it's not advantageous, you're going to have to be re-taught half of your A Level syllabus and I would argue that re-learning something which you already thought you knew is harder than beginning with a totally blank canvas which can be tuned and tweaked before any errors or bad habits creep in.
Original post by Wattsy
I read. That, sir is about getting in. It won't be difficult, write a good personal statement and try and get some work experience and you've shown intent. I've already said that it's not advantageous, you're going to have to be re-taught half of your A Level syllabus and I would argue that re-learning something which you already thought you knew is harder than beginning with a totally blank canvas which can be tuned and tweaked before any errors or bad habits creep in.

Fair enough. Guess you win this one, Mr. Lawyer. May it be the first of many.:wink:

It is not advantageous.

Original post by kiera28

Posted from TSR Mobile

Primarily, you should do A-levels which you think you would like and which you would do well in. The more traditional the better, but you want to get AAA. Your suggestion of English, RS, Spanish and Art is fine.

Source: have studied law at Bristol.
Original post by TurboCretin
It is not advantageous.

Primarily, you should do A-levels which you think you would like and which you would do well in. The more traditional the better, but you want to get AAA. Your suggestion of English, RS, Spanish and Art is fine.

Source: have studied law at Bristol.

Just got Lawyered, twice.
Reply 17
I'm doing History, Philosophy and Ethics, English Literature and Geography. Are these good subjects for law at uni?
Reply 18
Original post by sih97
I'm doing History, Philosophy and Ethics, English Literature and Geography. Are these good subjects for law at uni?

Absolutely! English Literautre & History are always recommended and of course RS and Geography are respected as well...

Now work hard to get good grades!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fire.of.my.loins
I'm doing the same subjects except Maths instead of Spanish and also hope to do Law at a Russell group uni. Bristol requires AAA. I'd say your combination is perfect since you have two essay based to show your analytical skills, Spanish and art which are out of the box to show you're well rounded. Which one will you drop at AS?

I'm not sure yet... Not English or Art as (not meaning to sound boastful, sorry:/ ) I seem to have a natural aptitude for them.. So i guess it depends between RS and Spanish: whichever I find hardest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending