The Student Room Group

Looking to get on an adult nursing degree

Ok, so I'm looking to get myself back into education and I was looking for a little advice.

Just to give you guys the background, I was always an achiever in education - I was predicted A's in pretty much every GCSE, but I had some huge personal issues going on an I dropped out of school a year early. The only tests I could do were maths and science as science had no coursework and maths only had a little so I still had a chance at a grade. I came out with a B in science and a D in maths. I always found learning easy - I did a college BTEC 2 course after and dropped out after 2 and a half months then got a call a few weeks from the course ending to say that the rest of the class had only just caught up and I could still finish if I wanted.

Unfortunately my personal issues were still ongoing so I declined, I then managed to piece myself together and have spent the last 4 years building a career in IT repairs, as it's something I've always known and been good at. Now however, I'm finding it completely unrewarding and am desperate the get into a career that I would enjoy.

I recently got hired at Sunrise Senior Living as a carer, which is great. My plan is to take 3 A levels over two years via distance learning in my spare time (I simply don't have the financial support to manage a full time access course for a year as I am under 24 and not eligible for a student loan) and then an AS if necessary. I'm going to be taking Biology, psychology and health and social care. I figure this would set me up for a nursing degree. I've picked up level 2's in maths, english and ECDL as well as a BTEC 2 in business admin from an apprenticeship, so I think that would cover the GCSE requirements. I'd like to think that my strong career since my college days has shown that I now have the commitment needed to succeed in education this time round, especially if I can manage the 3 distance A levels. Also Sunrise will be training me as a med and potentially up to NVQ level 5 in care. Hopefully all this should take me 3 years and then I can apply, also by then I will be 24 so I can get a student loan for the degree.

I guess what I'm looking for is just to see if I'm going about things the right way, if it seems doable, that I'm not overstreching myself with the 3 A levels and whether or not all this would make me an attractive candidate for the degree. I'm also wondering what the best AS would be if I need one.

Thank you for any advice you can give =)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending