The Student Room Group

Veterinary hopeful

Hey :smile: I have just done my AS levels which I am unhappy with A (geography) B (biology) C (maths) D (chemistry). My D is 1 UMS off a C so I’m in the process of getting it remarked. I wasn’t motivated this year and know I can do better as I didn’t work hard. I'm dropping maths for A2.

I’ve been looking into biology courses however I know what I really want to do is veterinary medicine. I've decided to retake Chemistry unit 1 and 2, and Biology Unit 2 in January (as I take International A Levels). I don't think I will apply this year as I am predicted AAB so will probably take a gap year. I’ll be able to do more veterinary work experience in my gap year, which will hopefully help towards my application. I've already done about 4 weeks of work experience (1 week at a small animal clinic, 1 week at a large animal practice and 2 weeks at a dairy farm). Do you think it is possible for me to apply to do veterinary medicine? Do you know other people that have done something similar?

Also, do you think I should retake maybe C1 and C2 of my maths AS to improve my AS grade? Would this help my application?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If you are asking if it is possible to apply after retaking A levels, some schools accept retakes and some do not. I'm sorry, I am not personally knowledgeable on which do or do not, but check the university websites.

AAB isn't horrible, but it would be great if you could bump that. I do think the D (or even C) in chemistry will hurt your application, and the B in bio isn't ideal, either.

Most students when applying will have 10-15 weeks+ of work experience, so I think a gap year, to allow you to do more work experience and boost your A levels (if you realistically think you can factor in both) is a wonderful idea. However be realistic here. CAN you realistically juggle both? Why do you think you did so poorly this year? Ok not committed, but how is that going to change? What is the plan? Why weren't you committed this year?
Reply 2
Original post by Tarnia
If you are asking if it is possible to apply after retaking A levels, some schools accept retakes and some do not. I'm sorry, I am not personally knowledgeable on which do or do not, but check the university websites.

AAB isn't horrible, but it would be great if you could bump that. I do think the D (or even C) in chemistry will hurt your application, and the B in bio isn't ideal, either.

Most students when applying will have 10-15 weeks+ of work experience, so I think a gap year, to allow you to do more work experience and boost your A levels (if you realistically think you can factor in both) is a wonderful idea. However be realistic here. CAN you realistically juggle both? Why do you think you did so poorly this year? Ok not committed, but how is that going to change? What is the plan? Why weren't you committed this year?

Thank you so much for your advice! From what I've read, most of the veterinary schools will accept retakes as long as they're all done within the 2 year period. Hopefully I will be able to improve bio to an A in January and chemistry to a B at least.

I think this year I didn't take sixth form very seriously, after getting very good GCSE results I expected the same to happen in year 12. I know my chemistry teachers were not supportive at all which made me lose interest in the subject however I've spoken to them again this year and told them my circumstance and they seem optimistic that I can get a B at least.

I'm just worried that I won't get any offers next year and will be stuck doing another gap year. Do you think I should retake 2 of my AS maths exams to help my app for next year?
Reply 3
I definitely think I am capable of doing the retakes but I want to make sure that my hard work will be worth it or if I should not bother
Reply 4
If you know for sure which schools take resists, and you are convinced you can make the admission criteria for those schools, I would say you have a chance. I don't really feel I can answer that for you I am afraid-I don't know which ones take retakes and I don't have the admissions requirements for all of them memorized. As I said though academic requirements are just one piece of the puzzle...make sure you are competitive on your work experience and personal statement as well. I would also be realistic about your goals. Even if you have the worst chemistry teacher on the planet, because that could happen, can you motivate yourself to get your stuff together, do the work, study, and get the grades? Yep I am being blunt not to be unsympathetic but to make a point. You cannot control what teachers you get really and in vet school you may not work well with all the lecturers. You will still need to be able to study and complete assignments.

Lots of people do really well one year and then think they can just coast the next...this happened to me to some degree back in middle school. I don't mean to be overly critical at all, it happens. But what can you do to rectify it and make sure it doesn't happen again?
Hey :smile:

I think a gap year could be a good option but definitely don't give up!! After GCSE I went to do an animal diploma but found it boring and ended up being kicked out so went back to 6th form to get my alevels for vet school. I did exactly the same as you and spent more time at my local rspca than at school and thought that little work would get me the grades - i finished year 12 with a c in biology and u's in chemistry and physics. My school however predicted me b in biology, c in chemistry and d in physics that got me and interview at RVC Gateway however a week after my interview i got a resit physics test back and i had failed it again...i really had no motivation for physics! The school took me out of physics forcing my RVC application to be withdrawn despite the fact i received 85% in my a2 physics mock! Needless to say I got frustrated with the school and only caused more problems for myself.

I left with Bio C, General Studies C, Chemistry E and AS Geography B.

I've worked as an animal rehomer and a veterinary hospital assistant and some retakes have taken me to Bio C, Chemistry E and Geography B all at A2.

I however am now resitting thoroughly and hoping to apply with AAA in 2016. I had an interview at Liverpool this year as well as I had the correct predicted grades, so it can be done!! Just gain your work experience as well although not at disadvantage to your grades and you will succeed if its what you really want :smile: Feel free to pm me if needed
Reply 6
Original post by Pink_tabby_kitten
Hey :smile:

I think a gap year could be a good option but definitely don't give up!! After GCSE I went to do an animal diploma but found it boring and ended up being kicked out so went back to 6th form to get my alevels for vet school. I did exactly the same as you and spent more time at my local rspca than at school and thought that little work would get me the grades - i finished year 12 with a c in biology and u's in chemistry and physics. My school however predicted me b in biology, c in chemistry and d in physics that got me and interview at RVC Gateway however a week after my interview i got a resit physics test back and i had failed it again...i really had no motivation for physics! The school took me out of physics forcing my RVC application to be withdrawn despite the fact i received 85% in my a2 physics mock! Needless to say I got frustrated with the school and only caused more problems for myself.

I left with Bio C, General Studies C, Chemistry E and AS Geography B.

I've worked as an animal rehomer and a veterinary hospital assistant and some retakes have taken me to Bio C, Chemistry E and Geography B all at A2.

I however am now resitting thoroughly and hoping to apply with AAA in 2016. I had an interview at Liverpool this year as well as I had the correct predicted grades, so it can be done!! Just gain your work experience as well although not at disadvantage to your grades and you will succeed if its what you really want :smile: Feel free to pm me if needed

Wow thank you so much this gives me a lot more hope, I was starting to give up on the idea as I've decided to apply for bioveterinary science this year for 2015 entry. However, I've decided if I get AAA or above, I will decline my offers and apply for veterinary science! You seem very determine. To enter RVC gateway do you have to have special requirements? or is it open to anyone?

What are you planning to do over the next 2 years? I'm just worried I won't have enough experience before I apply. I live abroad so it's really really difficult to get anything equine related, working in laboratory or during lambing season :frown:

Thanks again!
Reply 7
Original post by laura596
Wow thank you so much this gives me a lot more hope, I was starting to give up on the idea as I've decided to apply for bioveterinary science this year for 2015 entry. However, I've decided if I get AAA or above, I will decline my offers and apply for veterinary science! You seem very determine. To enter RVC gateway do you have to have special requirements? or is it open to anyone?

What are you planning to do over the next 2 years? I'm just worried I won't have enough experience before I apply. I live abroad so it's really really difficult to get anything equine related, working in laboratory or during lambing season :frown:

Thanks again!

For the RVC Gateway, I believe you have to have gotten something like BBB and come from an economically deprived area/family AND come from a state school (or something of that description). All the uni's are ok with AS retakes as long as you complete them within the two years, I'm retaking a module of chemistry to get it from a B to an A. I only have 9 weeks of work experience but because it's varied I'm not particularly worried about that. For you, taking a year out sounds like a good idea simply because if you're retaking everything, you need to be focusing on that rather than stocking up on work experience. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending