The Student Room Group

Applying to same university with different courses

Hi

I'm an IB student in Sweden and was wondering if it would be okay to apply for two courses to the same university.

Currently, my choices are

LSE- social policy with government
UCL- Politics with East European studies
Warwick- Politics and sociology
Bristol- Social polticy and politics
Bristol- Politics and sociology

yeah.. so I was thinking of applying for two coureses that are really similar to each other.

From what I heard, the UK universities want their applicants to be 100% sure with there choices.

The question is that, will I be disadvantaged if I apply for two coureses like this?
Original post by Korean95
Hi

I'm an IB student in Sweden and was wondering if it would be okay to apply for two courses to the same university.

Currently, my choices are

LSE- social policy with government
UCL- Politics with East European studies
Warwick- Politics and sociology
Bristol- Social polticy and politics
Bristol- Politics and sociology

yeah.. so I was thinking of applying for two coureses that are really similar to each other.

From what I heard, the UK universities want their applicants to be 100% sure with there choices.

The question is that, will I be disadvantaged if I apply for two coureses like this?

Check which department handles admissions for the two courses.

If it is a single department then there is no point using 2 choices - switching between the courses will usually be simple.

If it is 2 departments then it is possible that the double application could count against you. As you say many admissions staff want applicants to be confident of their choices, one or both of the admissions teams might be concerned that you are not dedicated enough to spend 3 years studying their subject.

Often transfers between courses that cross departments are straight forward. Look on the Bristol website to see if this is the case.

I personally wouldn't recommend using 2 of your choices in this way. Better to include only 4 choices and use your 5th choice as a backup if you aren't holding any offers by Christmas. By then you may have come across another course or university that interests you.
Reply 2
Just to tell u guys, I got into both the courses in Bristol!

So far, I've got an offer from Warwick, and Bristol. Also, LSE has sent me an email saying that they'll decide within 2 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending