The Student Room Group

Just started at EY in tax, ask me anything!

So I found this website pretty useful throughout my application so I'll be answering any questions about the application process - online, interviews, assessment centre - and what to expect when you join.

My service line (indirect tax) means I'm doing the ACA/CTA joint course.

Ask away!
Original post by eddavinci
So I found this website pretty useful throughout my application so I'll be answering any questions about the application process - online, interviews, assessment centre - and what to expect when you join.

Ask away!

I thought about doing something along the lines of a School leavers programme before I realised I had no experience or interest in business. What sort of background do you have (A levels etc) and how did you become interested in your sector? :smile:
Reply 2
Hey I did A-Levels in Law History and English (A*AA) and did a Law degree at Durham. Before starting I wanted to do tax, then when I was there I did a tax module and preferred the indirect stuff to the direct. The ACA is completely different (obviously) and a lot to take in all at once (we get 2 weeks at college before going into the office). As a school leaver the ACA is done over 5 years instead of over 3.
Reply 3
What kind of work do you do on a day to day basis?
Have you been exposed to any tax advisory/planning?
Hi there, congratulations.

What office are you in? If its the London Bridge one, isn't it beautiful?!

I have my first interview, face to face coming up next week. Could you speak a little about your experience with that? What kind of questions did they ask? Any useful tips or hints?

thanks
Reply 5
Just for clarification I'm FS in London (should maybe have mentioned that before!) but the UK&I stuff is fairly similar.
Original post by AG111
What kind of work do you do on a day to day basis?
Have you been exposed to any tax advisory/planning?

Like I said, as soon as we join we go to college for 2 weeks so as of yet I've not been in the office. Indirect tax (this year at least) are doing 2 weeks at Kaplan then a one week residential course on VAT in Denham, then we go to the office. I've just finished my first week at Kaplan.

Original post by Squ33zed
Hi there, congratulations.

What office are you in? If its the London Bridge one, isn't it beautiful?!

I have my first interview, face to face coming up next week. Could you speak a little about your experience with that? What kind of questions did they ask? Any useful tips or hints?

thanks

The London Bridge office is amazing! Especially at night time and MLP and the bridge is lit up. FS are moving to a brand new office in Canary Wharf next year (designed by the people who designed the Google offices!) so that should be awesome too.

My first interview (with a senior manager) I was terrified. My first 'proper' interview. Basically they have a list of stock questions about why you want to join their firm (as opposed to a smaller firm or any other Big4), what interests you about the service line, what interests do you have outside of learning/work and then a few asking about how you would react in certain situations. All in all he said there were 16 questions he had to get through.
My advice would be write a list of questions (I had some in mind specific for indirect tax about how the individual teams work as well as some more generic ones i.e. where did you train) and try to slot some of them in during the interview. You're trying to learn about them as much as they are about you. Also, if you get asked something you don't know the answer to (or think you need a bit more time) this is a great way to give yourself extra time.

Also, if you're asked what your ambitions are, obviously partner is a great goal, but there are a million and one different things you can do within the firm that don't involve being a partner. This is one I needed extra time on and I asked him something like "I was going to ask about career progression and what options are available after qualification" and he basically told me the answer to the question he asked. Basically you want to go as far as you can, but it might be limiting to just say 'partner' straight from the off. Basically if that is your goal, great, but don't let it get in the way of other opportunities that might arise.

What service line/office are you applying for?

Good luck! (I hope I helped!)
)

Audit, London Bridge. Ah, thank you for the detailed response. Hmmm it seems quite rigid and structured
Reply 7

Ask away!

Did you know anything about accounting during the time you were applying? Did you know what components make up a financial statement etc…? Would you say it's important to learn these, specifically for the interview?
Reply 8
Hi
Thx for sharing.
Im applying for the audit in EY so not sure whether the interview questions are the same. But from the interview questions I searched online, they are quite less straight forward compare to other big four (since EY selection process is strength-based not competency-based?). For example, do they really ask questions like that: Do you think life is fascinating ? Are you a good listener? if you were teaching someone a theory, would your aim be for them to fully understand it or simply be able to apply the theory? Do you prefer starting or finishing / quick action or careful planning etc? I am a little bit confused. Cheers :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by loloway
Did you know anything about accounting during the time you were applying? Did you know what components make up a financial statement etc…? Would you say it's important to learn these, specifically for the interview?

I didn't have any knowledge of accounting until I started. As far as I'm aware they don't expect you to know anything about that and won't be interviewed on your knowledge of accounts. I'm sure that if you have a background inj accounts (as in that's what you did your degree in) they might ask you but for me they didn't. I'm not sure whether this is true but you could argue that they prefer people to have no prior knowledge so then you are building from the ground up and learning how they want it taught. One girl I met (who studied at LSE) said she knew what we were being taught at Kaplan but the way it was taught was different to what she was used to so it was like learning it again. Like I said, though this is just me speculating as to why they chose me!

Original post by xiaoshui
Hi
Thx for sharing.
Im applying for the audit in EY so not sure whether the interview questions are the same. But from the interview questions I searched online, they are quite less straight forward compare to other big four (since EY selection process is strength-based not competency-based?). For example, do they really ask questions like that: Do you think life is fascinating ? Are you a good listener? if you were teaching someone a theory, would your aim be for them to fully understand it or simply be able to apply the theory? Do you prefer starting or finishing / quick action or careful planning etc? I am a little bit confused. Cheers :smile:

I think the strangest question I was asked was something like "Do you like teaching others?" which was followed up with "How would you make sure people understood what you were teaching?"
As a whole, though, the questions weren't designed to trip you up and the more 'complicated' questions followed on from an answer to a previous question. The strengths based stuff makes it seem really confusing until you actually get there and the questions actually make a lot more sense.

They want to get to know who you are. It doesn't make sense to answer a question untruthfully - the follow-ups might highlight the lie! As long as you are honesty, enthusiastic and can back up your answers with anecdotes or evidence, you should be fine. For example, you might say you build relationships by making a point of learning names and talking to those people. That's fine, but they're looking for a time you can identify where you went out of your way to learn someones name and talk to that person and how that strengthened a relationship.

At the end of the day, it's about scoring points and the more stories you can tell to support your answers, the more points you're scoring.
Reply 10
Original post by Squ33zed
Audit, London Bridge. Ah, thank you for the detailed response. Hmmm it seems quite rigid and structured

They have a list of questions which is structured but you can ask questions and build on things that have been said which helps to relax the situation a bit. The senior manager who interviewed me apologised for the interview seeming overly structured but that's what HR give them.

As a general rule, the partner interview is usually less structured.
Reply 11
Hi,
I applied for tax too.

I have an assessment day in Edinburgh in 2 weeks and unfortunately I wasn’t able to make the webinar.

I’m not really sure what the day involves. Would you be able to give more detail about the day, as the email I received was very vague. Is there any tips you would give? Also what’s the best way to prepare for the day?

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
This thread was made 5 years ago, if you need advice it may be wise to comment on newer threads lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending