The Student Room Group

Would it be worth retaking a degree if you didn't get a 2.1?

Hypothetically, if you didn't quite get a 2.1 in your subject, would it be a good idea to retake it in order to get a higher grade, or would taking your chance in finding a job with the 2.2 be the best (or only) option?
Firstly, if your grade was very close to the grade boundaries you could contact your university to find out about their appeal process. Retaking a degree would be both time-consuming and extremely costly so it might be worth trying to apply for jobs with your current grade and see how you do, a lot of employers value more than just high grades. Skills, work experience and personality will also be factors that are taken into account when an employer is reviewing your application so it is good to highlight these. Any degree is impressive though, no matter the grade, but if you are struggling to find work you can take shorter courses that are more specific to improve your CV such as a certificate in marketing. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Queen Cersei
Firstly, if your grade was very close to the grade boundaries you could contact your university to find out about their appeal process. Retaking a degree would be both time-consuming and extremely costly so it might be worth trying to apply for jobs with your current grade and see how you do, a lot of employers value more than just high grades. Skills, work experience and personality will also be factors that are taken into account when an employer is reviewing your application so it is good to highlight these. Any degree is impressive though, no matter the grade, but if you are struggling to find work you can take shorter courses that are more specific to improve your CV such as a certificate in marketing. Good luck :smile:

:confused:
Reply 3
Original post by infairverona
:confused:

Standard PC response

In fairness, since I have done my CBT, I see a high 2.2 as decent (my expectations have slightly lowered in that regard).
You can't keep retaking bits until you get a 2.1.

You would probably have to retake an entire year or even your entire degree - and that only if the Uni would let you and most won't.

Getting a low grade degree is disappointing. But ultimately you have to live with it. Jobs are still available - may not be what you would deem a 'graduate job', but that's life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending