The Student Room Group

Alternative to going to university in UK 9k is 2 much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kka25
and debt is debt

The student loan debt is not the same as any other debt from a bank or other lending organisation. It's unique in the sense that:

1. you pay back through your pay cheque, and repayment is set at 9% of what you earn above £21,000, if you don't earn above £21,000 you don't repay - no other debt repayment is linked like this to your earnings
2. the debt is automatically written off when you die - no other debt has this
3. the debt is written off when you become permanently unfit for work due to a disability - no other debt has this
4. the remaining debt is written off after 30 years, no matter what - no other debt has this
5. the debt is not included in your credit score - all other debt is included in your credit score
Reply 21
Original post by c2uk
The student loan debt is not the same as any other debt from a bank or other lending organisation. It's unique in the sense that:

1. you pay back through your pay cheque, and repayment is set at 9% of what you earn above £21,000, if you don't earn above £21,000 you don't repay - no other debt repayment is linked like this to your earnings
2. the debt is automatically written off when you die - no other debt has this
3. the debt is written off when you become permanently unfit for work due to a disability - no other debt has this
4. the remaining debt is written off after 30 years, no matter what - no other debt has this
5. the debt is not included in your credit score - all other debt is included in your credit score

I know, but I'm just trying to understand the OP's concern.

Well, it's up to him really. Hope he gets the things you've listed.
EPFL in Switzerland charge 500 Swiss francs a year to study there. It's a really good university as well.
Original post by Raizel
Thank you for that man it's good info.

I know that if u go uni from home u won't need to take out any loans. AND it's possible of u look at the grants u can get that the 9k would be a lot less and working part time u can pay it off and it might be a little cheaper than abroad infact if u want to do this u need to start working Now or ask ur parents to start saving up do seriously consider this it's a big possibility.

I would still apply abroad and since u can start getting into top notch courses with lower grades I would still seriously consider it anyway.
Reply 24
Original post by c2uk
Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think you do. As long as you work in the UK, your repayment comes off your pay, you don't realise that you're paying it off because you yourself don't do the repaying, it's your employer who does the paying off for you before he pays you (this is very simply formulated).

When you die, your debt is written off immediately, so you won't have any debt against your name when you face your creator.

No trust me man i understand what you are saying and i have heard it countless times, allot of people come to talk about this at my college and i understand fully what the situation is, but like i said its not a matter of how to repay it off and live my life, its that i don't want to have it.
Reply 25
Original post by nmjasdk
I know that if u go uni from home u won't need to take out any loans. AND it's possible of u look at the grants u can get that the 9k would be a lot less and working part time u can pay it off and it might be a little cheaper than abroad infact if u want to do this u need to start working Now or ask ur parents to start saving up do seriously consider this it's a big possibility.

I would still apply abroad and since u can start getting into top notch courses with lower grades I would still seriously consider it anyway.

Yes, however in terms of getting funding for going abroad I have that sorted out alhamdurillah.
Original post by Raizel
Yes, however in terms of getting funding for going abroad I have that sorted out alhamdurillah.

Alhamdullillah that's good. I know if I go to my firm uni I can live at home and with all their grants added I can just pay it off with a part time job. Although to not let it accumulate interest in the first year I'll have to save up 9k this year in advance. I decided not to do it for other reasons but what ur doing is good keep at it.
Reply 27
Original post by Like_A_G6
EPFL in Switzerland charge 500 Swiss francs a year to study there. It's a really good university as well.

Thank you bro, this uni looks really good im going to look into it further.
Reply 28
Original post by nmjasdk
Alhamdullillah that's good. I know if I go to my firm uni I can live at home and with all their grants added I can just pay it off with a part time job. Although to not let it accumulate interest in the first year I'll have to save up 9k this year in advance. I decided not to do it for other reasons but what ur doing is good keep at it.

Thank you akhi, inshallah if we do something for the sake of God then God will help us achieve it and more.
Reply 29

Living costs in Switzerland are insane though.
Reply 30
Original post by c2uk

Yeah and same with sweden, but even with that its not much compared to just the tuition of UK.
Original post by c2uk

Yeah they have a cost break down on their website. I think it works out at about £12k per year after accommodation, health insurance, tuition fees, books, and living expenses. It's steep but less than what you'd pay for the above in the UK.

Maybe doing a year in industry there will help pay for everything. I'd expect an engineer at EPFL and its sister university to be capable of getting an internship in a well paid Swiss company (banking industry?).

With the brilliant transport system, maybe living across a border in another country and commuting to the uni may be an extreme option?
Reply 32
Yeah they have a cost break down on their website. I think it works out at about £12k per year after accommodation, health insurance, tuition fees, books, and living expenses. It's steep but less than what you'd pay for the above in the UK.

Maybe doing a year in industry there will help pay for everything. I'd expect an engineer at EPFL and its sister university to be capable of getting an internship in a well paid Swiss company (banking industry?).

With the brilliant transport system, maybe living across a border in another country and commuting to the uni may be an extreme option?

Not sure I'd trust those £12k per year. I have friends there (near Zurich and Basel - plus I grew up living close to the border myself) and they tell me how ridiculous it is. Many opt to live in Germany but commute between Germany and Switzerland isn't as straight forward as you may think.

I don't want to generalise, but in a recent referendum (they do a lot of these, it's a more direct democracy then most other countries) the Swiss voted for less immigration and increased job preference for Swiss citizens.

Also, on the topic of commuting, I have been commuting during my masters - 1.5 hours each way - and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Reply 33
Original post by c2uk

Also, on the topic of commuting, I have been commuting during my masters - 1.5 hours each way - and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Me neither.

Quick Reply

Latest