The Student Room Group

Squats work! Here is proof

Squats really do work. It's possible to get a better bum you just have to put work in. The first pic I posted on here annon a few years ago because I was so self conscious of my flat bum, now after regularly doing squats and weight training for 2 years (with some gaps) I have succeeded in improving my body. It's not impossible girls!

The pics don't really show as much as real life. I've gone from a measurement of 35/36inches round my bum to 38 inches.

(possible NSFW pics of bums below!)

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Also I haven't just put on weight, I've only gained a couple pounds of muscle. Plus my bum doesn't look 'masculine' like I was told it would if I did squats
Reply 2
nice! what kind of routine did you use? i assume you did other exercises, what weight/reps/sets did you use?
Nice! What are your goals going forward?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattyR2895
Nice! What are your goals going forward?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose just to carry on! I've been going to the gym a lot more over the summer but might not be able to go so much now. My aim is to go at least twice a week.

Original post by H-Barca
nice! what kind of routine did you use? i assume you did other exercises, what weight/reps/sets did you use?

Mainly squats, with lunges, leg press and some other bodyweight exercises like hip raises. I started off using kettlebells and now use a barbell and squat with 40-50kg. I try to do 3 sets of 8 each work out but sometimes it changes.
Would bum
Reply 6
Nearly looks as good as mine hahaa.
Coming along nicely
Thanks for the positive comments everyone!
Reply 9
My partner is always nagging at me to squat -_- Now I see why .. xD

Did you just do regular squats or various ones? And how often?

I really want to tone up and get a better looking body, so any tips would be great ^^ I might try doing the before and after pics too so I can see my progress :biggrin:
Original post by Jaz_A
My partner is always nagging at me to squat -_- Now I see why .. xD

Did you just do regular squats or various ones? And how often?

I really want to tone up and get a better looking body, so any tips would be great ^^ I might try doing the before and after pics too so I can see my progress :biggrin:

Yeah it really can make a difference if you put the work in. The key is to make it part of your normal exercise routine anyway, I already went to the gym quite a lot so I just slowly moved from cardio to more weight based stuff.

I did just normal squats, with varying weights.. I've said in detail in my post above. Just anything really as long as you do it with weight and stick to it :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Throwaway221
Yeah it really can make a difference if you put the work in. The key is to make it part of your normal exercise routine anyway, I already went to the gym quite a lot so I just slowly moved from cardio to more weight based stuff.

I did just normal squats, with varying weights.. I've said in detail in my post above. Just anything really as long as you do it with weight and stick to it :smile:

Awesome thanks ^^ I've heard people mentioning various different squats though I've no idea if they help or not. I've just been doing a kettle weights class and cardio atm but once I move for uni I'll have to find new classes to join :'(
Original post by Jaz_A
Awesome thanks ^^ I've heard people mentioning various different squats though I've no idea if they help or not. I've just been doing a kettle weights class and cardio atm but once I move for uni I'll have to find new classes to join :'(

Hey I'm gonna butt in here (no pun intended). Don't bother with classes, no offence to those who go but they're generally marketed towards middle aged women with very low goals.

The back squat is the normal squat, put the bar on your shoulders and squat down. A front squat is where the bar is held.. In front resting on your shoulders (I generally don't bother with these as I always feel like I'm being strangled by the bar on my neck).

Single leg squats/split squats are very good, you raise one leg behind you on a bench and squat down, these really work the glutes and can be done with with a bar or holding dumbells. Sumo squats are squats with a wide stance with feet pointed outwards. There are other types like box squats and hack squats but they're really not important for someone who just wants a basic routine.

I'd just stick to squats, lunges, split squats and maybe deadlifts at first. I'd look up some extra info online to get the basics. If you start off with light weights and build up it'll be more effective than starting to high and hurting yourself.

Soz for the essay.
Reply 14
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Hey I'm gonna butt in here (no pun intended). Don't bother with classes, no offence to those who go but they're generally marketed towards middle aged women with very low goals.

The back squat is the normal squat, put the bar on your shoulders and squat down. A front squat is where the bar is held.. In front resting on your shoulders (I generally don't bother with these as I always feel like I'm being strangled by the bar on my neck).

Single leg squats/split squats are very good, you raise one leg behind you on a bench and squat down, these really work the glutes and can be done with with a bar or holding dumbells. Sumo squats are squats with a wide stance with feet pointed outwards. There are other types like box squats and hack squats but they're really not important for someone who just wants a basic routine.

I'd just stick to squats, lunges, split squats and maybe deadlifts at first. I'd look up some extra info online to get the basics. If you start off with light weights and build up it'll be more effective than starting to high and hurting yourself.

Soz for the essay.

Butt in all you like xD

The only reason I join classes is it helps keep me motivated (a little healthy competition), the one I go to atm has various people in and is privately held by one of our local rugby trainers. So ideally that's why I'd be looking for a class, or even someone to gym with :smile:

At the moment in the class/at home I do a mix of squats, lunges, deadlifts, single leg squats for legs/bum with a 4-8kg kettle weight or dumbells. I'm reluctant to build up my weights too much because I want to stay slimmer and not build up too much bulk.

I just didn't know if the different types of squats work different muscles or if it's all the same really?
Original post by Jaz_A
Butt in all you like xD

The only reason I join classes is it helps keep me motivated (a little healthy competition), the one I go to atm has various people in and is privately held by one of our local rugby trainers. So ideally that's why I'd be looking for a class, or even someone to gym with :smile:

At the moment in the class/at home I do a mix of squats, lunges, deadlifts, single leg squats for legs/bum with a 4-8kg kettle weight or dumbells. I'm reluctant to build up my weights too much because I want to stay slimmer and not build up too much bulk.

I just didn't know if the different types of squats work different muscles or if it's all the same really?

Ah I see, those classes are better, I just thought you meant some aerobics class or something.

Building up weights a bit won't particularly bulk you out. You have to be lifting significant weight for quite a long period, with a calorie excess to notice much bulking. What you do get is firmer and more prominent muscles from using weight. It depends though, of you find the kettlebells you're using at the moment to be a challenge then stick with them. If you find it a walk in the park then consider adding weight.

The types of squats all hit the glutes. The deeper you go into a squat the more it hits glutes over thighs, plus sumo squats are more glute focused. I'm not entirely sure on the specifics of which muscle groups each one targets the most but I'm sure if you Google it there will be loads of tips!

Good luck!
Reply 16
Are you sure you are doing it right? I have seen so many people doing it absolutely wrong. Maybe speak to someone in gym and ask for advice. They will show you how to do it properly. Good luck!
Original post by rolling
Are you sure you are doing it right? I have seen so many people doing it absolutely wrong. Maybe speak to someone in gym and ask for advice. They will show you how to do it properly. Good luck!

I know what I'm doing :smile: if it were up to the trainers in my gym I'd be squatting with a pair of 1kg weights. Haha! I think I must be doing something right to get such results, plus I've had people check my form etc.
Original post by Throwaway221
Nice try! Haha

Where's the before pic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Where's the before pic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The before is the first one (black knickers), the after pic is the link below it cos the for some reason it wouldn't attach (on my screen anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest