The Student Room Group

Urgent Help Needed! Someone help me and I'll send you a cake!

Hello,

In my GCSE's I achieved:

A*: English Language, Bio, Chem, Physics
A: Maths, English Literature, History, Geography, Statistics, Psychology
B:Religious Studies

My AS grades are as follows

Biology - A
Maths - B
Chemistry C (209/210, B is 210/300 found six extra raw mark when I got scripts back and checked with three chemistry teachers, but when remarked, Mark stayed the same, now appealing their decision)
History - C

ABCC

UKCAT average of 607.5

My personal statement is said to be excellent and has been reviewed by teachers, head of year and medical students.

My predictions are as follows:

Biology - A* (full marks in two modules)

Chemistry - B (however, may go up to an A as I achieved 92% on the Pre-A2 assessment and I am consistently impressing my Chemistry teacher with my work)

Maths - B (may go up to an A as I achieved AAD, I'm showing my maths teacher the progress I'm making overall and the progress in the module I got a D in, of which I'm resitting)

Is there any point of me applying with a poor ukcat score, slightly below average GCSE's (compared to average medical student) and poor AS results? I haven't heard of anyone get into medicine with ABCC in their AS year. Should I apply to foundation?

I know I can definitely achieve A*AA next year if I work for it. My AS year was abit 'messy' as I had moved house in exam season and had to commute an hour to get to sixth-form and I had no desk in my new home. I also put a lot of time into a subject I despised (History) and was procrastinating in order to not study it and as such, wasted a lot of study time.

Should I consider apply this year? Should I apply to foundation? Should I apply next year and retake my ukcat?

Someone help me, please
(edited 9 years ago)
I think applying next year would be best.
Reply 2
Original post by HandyManMoe
Hello,

In my GCSE's I achieved:

A*: English Language, Bio, Chem, Physics
A: Maths, English Literature, History, Geography, Statistics, Psychology
B:Religious Studies

My AS grades are as follows

Biology - A
Maths - B
Chemistry C (209/210, B is 210/300 found six extra raw mark when I got scripts back and checked with three chemistry teachers, but when remarked, Mark stayed the same, now appealing their decision)
History - C

ABCC

UKCAT average of 607.5

My personal statement is said to be excellent and has been reviewed by teachers, head of year and medical students.

My predictions are as follows:

Biology - A* (full marks in two modules)

Chemistry - B (however, may go up to an A as I achieved 92% on the Pre-A2 assessment and I am consistently impressing my Chemistry teacher with my work)

Maths - B (may go up to an A as I achieved AAD, I'm showing my maths teacher the progress I'm making overall and the progress in the module I got a D in, of which I'm resitting)

Is there any point of me applying with a poor ukcat score, slightly below average GCSE's (compared to average medical student) and poor AS results? I haven't heard of anyone get into medicine with ABCC in their AS year. Should I apply to foundation?

I know I can definitely achieve A*AA next year if I work for it. My AS year was abit 'messy' as I had moved house in exam season and had to commute an hour to get to sixth-form and I had no desk in my new home. I also put a lot of time into a subject I despised (History) and was procrastinating in order to not study it and as such, wasted a lot of study time.

Should I consider apply this year? Should I apply to foundation? Should I apply next year and retake my ukcat?

Someone help me, please

I think you have 3 options and your situation is very similar to mine last year but with slightly different subjects.

Most importantly is that you make sure you get your grades this year as that will make everything in life easier next year.

1) you apply for medicine and basically give it a whirl, but I think you have to be realistic that it is quite unlikely that you will get called to interview, but I think there are a lot of benefits of going through "the process" i.e the UKCAT, writing your personal statement, which could stand you in good stead for next year.

2) apply to a foundation programme like the one at Bradford this year and do that for a year and try and get on from that.

3) Don't apply this year, concentrate on your work get the grades then take a gap year next time around and apply after this with you grades and some extra stuff to put on your personal statement.

I would advise to apply this year if you think you can handle the rejections without the affecting your work and make sure you get the grades!!!
Reply 3
I think you should wait until next year as well- your application would be much stronger if you can ace those a2s. Plus a gap year can mean you gain loads more experience!
Reply 4
Thank you! You guys have been very helpful!
Reply 5
Thanks! By the way, how is my situation very similar to yours?

Original post by jwdhf
I think you have 3 options and your situation is very similar to mine last year but with slightly different subjects.

Most importantly is that you make sure you get your grades this year as that will make everything in life easier next year.

1) you apply for medicine and basically give it a whirl, but I think you have to be realistic that it is quite unlikely that you will get called to interview, but I think there are a lot of benefits of going through "the process" i.e the UKCAT, writing your personal statement, which could stand you in good stead for next year.

2) apply to a foundation programme like the one at Bradford this year and do that for a year and try and get on from that.

3) Don't apply this year, concentrate on your work get the grades then take a gap year next time around and apply after this with you grades and some extra stuff to put on your personal statement.

I would advise to apply this year if you think you can handle the rejections without the affecting your work and make sure you get the grades!!!
Reply 6
There's no point applying if you aren't predicted AAA, as your application will be instantly rejected, so take a gap and apply with achieved grades. It might be worth sitting the UKCAT this cycle for practice though. Good luck.
Reply 7
Thanks! By the way, how is my situation very similar to yours?

i had really bad As level results last year, so tried to apply but just got 4 rejections. However got the grades and this year everything should hopefully go a bit better!!!

Not that your grades are bad, just medicine is silly ..
Reply 8
Hi guys,

Just had a meeting with the careers adviser at my (old) school, and she gave me a discount code for this website. She said to give it to any freinds who were applying so I thought I would share it (lol).

http://www.medschoolsuccess.co.uk/

Have had a quick play around and seems to have really good practice questions for the UKCAT and interviews. The code is MSS10 and reduces the price from £15 to £5 and the stuff on there seems really helpful!!
Hope it Helps !!
Reply 9
Ahh I see, what did you get last year and what did you get this year?

Original post by jwdhf
i had really bad As level results last year, so tried to apply but just got 4 rejections. However got the grades and this year everything should hopefully go a bit better!!!

Not that your grades are bad, just medicine is silly ..
What do you guys suggest I do in the gap year? Just doing work experience will get pretty boring
What do you guys suggest I do in the gap year? Just doing work experience will get pretty boring

Make sure you get your 3As in your A2!

My friend's brother got rejected from all 4 med schools despite his outstanding personal statement, UKCAT and AS results (AAAA) - unreasonable things do happen...

So he decided to take a gap year, where he did a lot of community services, prepared for him UKCAT again and achieved A*AAin his A2. He reapplied and got a few offers!

If you do decide to take a gap year, get yourself involved in a lot of voluntary/community work to show your enthusiasm. You have to re-take UKCAT if you re-apply. So start practising early. Also travel around, meet new people, learn how to be more independent. If your family situation allows, do some voluntary work abroad - another excuse to travel to cool places like Thailand and have fun while gaining more experience :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Why not?
You have been extremely helpful!

By the way, if a Unicersity's normal offer is AAAb and I get A*AAc, can I still get considered as AAAb is there normal offer and not a requirement?

Original post by GDbubbles
Make sure you get your 3As in your A2!

My friend's brother got rejected from all 4 med schools despite his outstanding personal statement, UKCAT and AS results (AAAA) - unreasonable things do happen...

So he decided to take a gap year, where he did a lot of community services, prepared for him UKCAT again and achieved A*AAin his A2. He reapplied and got a few offers!

If you do decide to take a gap year, get yourself involved in a lot of voluntary/community work to show your enthusiasm. You have to re-take UKCAT if you re-apply. So start practising early. Also travel around, meet new people, learn how to be more independent. If your family situation allows, do some voluntary work abroad - another excuse to travel to cool places like Thailand and have fun while gaining more experience :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 14
Still waiting for my cake .....:colone:
You have been extremely helpful!

By the way, if a Unicersity's normal offer is AAAb and I get A*AAc, can I still get considered as AAAb is there normal offer and not a requirement?

Every University is different. The best thing to do is email the university of your choice and ask, or phone them up and ask them if an A* in one subject will make up for a C in another :smile:
Here you go,

🎂🎂🎂

:biggrin:

Original post by HCubed
Still waiting for my cake .....:colone:
Reply 17
Here you go,

🎂🎂🎂

:biggrin:

:tongue:

Latest