The Student Room Group

UTC Reading

My family will be moving to Reading next year so I am looking for information on school choices for GCSE there for my daughter. I came across UTC Reading which received an overall rating of Outstanding from Ofsted (I believe it was a few years back). However, I also read some negative comments on UTC. I hope someone in Reading will be able to give me some first-hand experience about the College, and any comment from people in Reading on the College is most welcome. Thank you
Hi! I live in Reading so feel free to ask me any questions.

Here are some schools in the area:
- Maiden Eirleigh (Old)
- Maiden Eirleigh (New)
- Kendrick
- The Abbey
- Reading Girls School (not to be confused with Reading School which is a boys-only school)
- Madjeski
- Bulmershe

Standard subjects that are offered are:
- Spanish,
- German,
- French,
- Computer Science,
- PE,
- History,
- Geography,
- Drama,
- Art,
- Textiles,
- Food Technology
- Religious Education (at the old Maiden Eirleigh and The Abbey, Reigious Education GCSE is required and is taken in year 10 as opposed to year 11)

I know the Abbey also offer Latin and Greek and then one or both of the Maiden Eirleighs offer Photography and DT (I think Kendrick also offers DT, but I don't know about photography)
Reply 2
Thank you ScoutLeopard! As I understand it's quite difficult to get into Kendrick and Reading Girls' as they are quite popular. My feeling is that UTC Reading could be easier to get in. Is that correct?

Also, I found some mixed reviews on UTC Reading, some students said they were happy but some said otherwise. What do you think?
I don't know about Reading Girls, but Kendrick and The Abbey tend to be the hard ones to get into as they have entrance exams. Kendrick is very competitive to get into and it is the standard 11+ if you are entering into year 7 whereas the Abbey has a written paper and an interview.

I think UTC is decent and should be decent to get in to. I personally didn't apply as I am happy where I am but I have heard generally good things about the school. If you can, I would see if your daughter can talk to a student in the same year/year above to get a feel of the school as she most likely won't be able to go in and have a taster day.

I hope you enjoy Reading when you come - it's a nice town with lots of history and (generally) friendly people!
Original post by Roopy14
My family will be moving to Reading next year so I am looking for information on school choices for GCSE there for my daughter. I came across UTC Reading which received an overall rating of Outstanding from Ofsted (I believe it was a few years back). However, I also read some negative comments on UTC. I hope someone in Reading will be able to give me some first-hand experience about the College, and any comment from people in Reading on the College is most welcome. Thank you

For anyone reading this, I hope you READ this, do not and I mean DO NOT go to UTC.

Thank you and good night
Original post by mgcgian047
For anyone reading this, I hope you READ this, do not and I mean DO NOT go to UTC.

Thank you and good night

Please can you give some more info why not to go to UTC Reading? I have received offer from UTC Reading for A levels. Please can you give some some feedback which could help in our decision.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by vishka1975
Please can you give some more info why not to go to UTC Reading? I have received offer from UTC Reading for A levels. Please can you give some some feedback which could help in our decision.

Umm I asked my friends and they said it's bad, he has attended their since year 10. I've also made countless reddit posts and received pms from people in ks5 there, let's just say their quality of teaching is rather lackluster

If you need any more info pm me, I'll give you my insta as it's more accessible accessible giving out info
If you need any more info pm me, I'll give you my insta as it's more accessible accessible giving out info

I just signed up in here. I can start sending private message only after 2 days, I need info on UTC Reading urgently to make a decision. Can you send me your insta on [email protected]. Thanks
I just signed up in here. I can start sending private message only after 2 days, I need info on UTC Reading urgently to make a decision. Can you send me your insta on [email protected]. Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, I'll go as soon as possible
Hi, I was just looking into the school and was wondering why you fell so strongly? Please give honest opinion, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by meepmoop0139
Hi, I was just looking into the school and was wondering why you fell so strongly? Please give honest opinion, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

I went to a UTC and it led to me having to repeat year 10
Reply 12
Umm I asked my friends and they said it's bad, he has attended their since year 10. I've also made countless reddit posts and received pms from people in ks5 there, let's just say their quality of teaching is rather lackluster

Agreed, do NOT go to UTC in year 10. Get your GCSEs as normal then do what you want; but do not meddle with your current arrangements/school if they are working in year 9

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending