The Student Room Group

Why do people buy iPhones -- are they stupid?

I don't hate Apple or their products, I just don't understand why they are so popular. The iPhone 6 for example, is underspecced and vastly overpriced compared to other phones on the market. To outline my point here is a specs comparison between the iPhone 6 and the Oneplus One:

Iphone 6

Display: 16m colours, 750 x 1334 pixels, 4.7 inches (~326ppi)

Memory: 16/64/128 GB, 1 GB RAM

Camera: primary - 8 MP, 3264 x 2448p
secondary- 1.2 MP
Video: 1080p@60fps, 720p@240fps

CPU: Dual-core 1.4 GHz Cyclone

Battery: Li-Po 1810 mAh battery

Price : £539 - £619 (unlocked)

Oneplus One

Display: 16m colours, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.5 inches (~401 ppi)

Memory: 16/64 GB, 3 GB RAM

Camera: primary - 13 MP, 4128 x 3096p
seconday- 5 MP, 1080p@30fps
Video: 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps

CPU: Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400

Battery: Li-Po 3100 mAh battery

Price: £229 - £269 (unlocked)

... In summary then, the Oneplus One is superior to the iPhone 6 on a technical level in practically every measurable way. The iPhone 6 however, costs over twice as much as the Oneplus One. Yet the iPhone 6 is incredibly popular (it mayturn out to be the best selling phone of all time). So with all this in mind I must ask, am I missing something? Or are people just batsh1t insane?!

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Whether you prefer iPhones, the Google Pixel or OnePlus (or something else entirely) ALWAYS shop around being signing a contract. Check:

https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/
https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/
https://www.mobiles.co.uk/
https://www.buymobiles.net/
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arithmeticae

This. / Thread
... because they can? :rolleyes:
It's all about marketing and brand awareness.
iphone best fone eva
Original post by karmacrunch
... because they can? :rolleyes:

What kind of answer is that? I can stab myself in the eyeball, doesn't mean I'm gonna do it!
dat Apple ecosystem
Yes, as are people who don't understand the difference between "by" and "buy".
"by"

"are they stupid"

"by"

"by"

"by"

"by"

"by"

dat edit making my post look stupid
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Glider Gun
Yes, as are people who don't understand the difference between "by" and "buy".

Original post by manchesterunited15
"by"

"are they stupid"

"by"

"by"

"by"

"by"

"by"

Typo dudes, get over it.
Original post by Ziggy Sawdust
Typo dude, get over it.

original thread brah
Reply 11
In my case, it was free as part of my phone contract. Though there's no point in judging someone on account of their phone choice. Most people buy phones just to call, text, take photos, go on the internet for a bit and go for something aesthetically pleasing. Apple products are very accessible in this respect and overshadow other brands.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because most people don't particularly care about technical specifications, they just want a phone that doesn't require a lot of brainpower to use, that just does everything for them and that's trendy. iPhones tick all of those boxes.
What kind of answer is that? I can stab myself in the eyeball, doesn't mean I'm gonna do it!

Yes but you still have that option. :tongue: You can't force people to not buy a phone because you don't think it's as good as others. I personally wouldn't buy an iPhone (except for the cases) but if others want to buy it they can... no matter how overpriced or overhyped it might be.
There are better phones but the people that buy iPhones generally aren't the type to put loads of research into the technology they're buying. Apple products are overpriced but they do what the buyers want so they see no reason to switch.
Reply 15
Probably for the same reason people continue supporting their football team no matter how terrible they are, or why someone would ever return to starbucks. Because they like it. They don't care about the costs, or if other things are better, they just like it.

[[I see more android users slam down the iPhone than iPhone users slamming down any android phones, what could that mean? Just let them be with their flapping bird game and their stars bucks]]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by karmacrunch
Yes but you still have that option. :tongue: You can't force people to not buy a phone because you don't think it's as good as others. I personally wouldn't buy an iPhone (except for the cases) but if others want to buy it they can... no matter how overpriced or overhyped it might be.

I'm not trying to force people to do anything, I'm just trying to get my head around why so many people are so eager to pay more to get less.
Reply 17
I don't hate Apple or their products, I just don't understand why they are so popular. The iPhone 6 for example, is underspecced and vastly overpriced compared to other phones on the market. To outline my point here is a specs comparison between the iPhone 6 and the Oneplus One:

Iphone 6

Display: 16m colours, 750 x 1334 pixels, 4.7 inches (~326ppi)

Memory: 16/64/128 GB, 1 GB RAM

Camera: primary - 8 MP, 3264 x 2448p
secondary- 1.2 MP
Video: 1080p@60fps, 720p@240fps

CPU: Dual-core 1.4 GHz Cyclone

Battery: Li-Po 1810 mAh battery

Price : £539 - £619 (unlocked)

Oneplus One

Display: 16m colours, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.5 inches (~401 ppi)

Memory: 16/64 GB, 3 GB RAM

Camera: primary - 13 MP, 4128 x 3096p
seconday- 5 MP, 1080p@30fps
Video: 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps

CPU: Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400

Battery: Li-Po 3100 mAh battery

Price
: £229 - £269 (unlocked)

... In summary then, the Oneplus One is superior to the iPhone 6 on a technical level in practically every measurable way. The iPhone 6 however, costs over twice as much as the Oneplus One. Yet the iPhone 6 is incredibly popular (it mayturn out to be the best selling phone of all time). So with all this in mind I must ask, am I missing something? Or are people just batsh1t insane?!

They must be insane. Some may see the invite system of the Oneplus One as a problem, but there a loads of resellers from where you can buy them directly (e.g. http://estnext.com/store/index.php/oneplus-one.html)
Even if you are a fan of the design, the Xiaomi Mi4 is close to iPhone, much cheaper and better specs.
There's much more to it than just the spec, there's overall build quality, the Apple ecosystem, and how it works with other devices. Just comparing the spec isn't of much use, for example unless the OnePlus One can do loads more things with its 3gb ram, most people aren't going to know or care about how much ram their phone has. Similarly with the camera, while other phones may have many more megapixels, the iPhone produces some of the best quality photos of any phone.
Original post by jameswhughes
There's much more to it than just the spec, there's overall build quality, the Apple ecosystem, and how it works with other devices. Just comparing the spec isn't of much use, for example unless the OnePlus One can do loads more things with its 3gb ram, most people aren't going to know or care about how much ram their phone has. Similarly with the camera, while other phones may have many more megapixels, the iPhone produces some of the best quality photos of any phone.

I get where you're coming from regarding build/design quality. However, having 3x more RAM is obviously going to make all processes on a phone run substantially quicker and smoother. This is especially noticeable when running several applications simultaneously or when browsing data heavy websites, steaming videos etc. As for the camera, I've read that the iPhones autofocus technology is impressive, but this doesn't change the fact that photos taken with the OnePlus One (which boasts its own autofocus tech) are going to be of a higher resolution.

Latest

Trending

Trending