The Student Room Group

What can I get under these circumstances?

I'm looking to move into student halls for the 2015/2016 year. I'll be looking at 51 week tenancy as I'll be staying there through the summer.

Currently I live with my parents but due to drainage's they can't help me at all.

Our household income at the moment is 41K but again, they cannot help me at all.

I will be a full time student and I'm worried due to lectures and coursework I wont have the time for a part time job as even during College I've struggled to find a job that fits around my timetable, it took me 12 months to find a job that only pays about £40 a week but it's the best I can get with my hours.

The accommodation I've chosen is one of the cheaper ones at £112 per week but according the gov.uk calculator my maintenance loan doesn't cover that. I know that means my parents are expected to help or I'm expected to get a job but sometimes neither are possible.

I have done a lot of previous work and volunteer work in the past and I will be applying for a Scholarship (although I'm not exactly the luckiest person in the world).

Does anybody have any idea at what is possible for me? Right now at home I have to pay for my own living expenses and without my wage even though it's small my parents would struggle even more than they already are.
There isn't anything else you can do, your options is what's is your post. I don't get nothing from my parents to support me. You just got too get by on what you got, get a job, which I know can be difficult. Am luck enough too get enough too get by, without working but I still got casual work as and when I can for my university which helps as at least I bring in some extra money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lozzielizzie
There isn't anything else you can do, your options is what's is your post. I don't get nothing from my parents to support me. You just got too get by on what you got, get a job, which I know can be difficult. Am luck enough too get enough too get by, without working but I still got casual work as and when I can for my university which helps as at least I bring in some extra money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reply. I guess I'm in a situation that is going to be very dependent on luck sadly.

Hopefully the Uni may be able to help me with some sort of loan that I can pay back.
Original post by D.MCK
Thank you for the reply. I guess I'm in a situation that is going to be very dependent on luck sadly.

Hopefully the Uni may be able to help me with some sort of loan that I can pay back.

Some unis can offer a small amount of money for short term emergencies but they are not meant as a top up to the loan and first years aren't usually a priority. Also a 51 week contract could be very expensive depending on where you go to uni- where I am contracts for 2nd year houses start from the 1st July so you'd be paying double rent for a while.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
If anybody has any similar issues to what I had I've now got it planned so I'll be fairly comfortable in terms of money.

I changed my preferred place of study and found the accommodation to be much cheaper, after applying early I'll be paying £83 a week all inclusive. Parents will be giving me my share of the shopping weekly. I'm also eligible for a partnership bursary in my uni of choice.

On top of all that I'm well on my way to being eligible for a brilliance bursary which gives £1000 a year in 2 installments for having over 320 UCAS points, after checking with the uni these 2 bursaries stack so I can be given both of them.

The course also try to do most lectures and classes in the start of the week as they're aware some students need to work and they give them time for this.

TLDR;

Cheaper Accommodation

Parents giving my share of weekly shopping spend

Partnership Bursary (check whether your current College has one with your University of choice)

Scholarships

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending