The Student Room Group

addressing mitigating circumstances before an interview?

Hi, I recently landed an interview in financial audit and it is a job and career that I really want to get. However I unfortunately only have a 2.2 undergraduate degree, and I am away to get a pass with merit for my masters. This was due to my mother being diagnosed with terminal cancer in my first year of university, and me subsequently taking the role as a full-time, around the clock carer during my studies. she unfortunately passed near the end of my undergraduate degree.
My question is this, although there was no mitigating circumstance option within the application or assessments, would it be worthwhile emailing to address this before the interview?

I was thinking of framing it around although being unfortunate, it showed my excellent time management skills under significant pressure etc which would be valuable attributes within this career. I in no way want to use my mitigating circumstances as a gateway to entry, but rather to express that although I have a 2.2, I can still demonstrate certain skills which would appeal to them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would go a long way :smile:
Let HR know asap, i have dyslexia and i always tell them that. We are all human after all and at the end of the day companies can't disciminaate against you.

So yes, send a email explaining what you just said and also ask for a phone call with the team before so that you can explain confidentially etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending