The Student Room Group

What is the matter with how top grad employers hire grads?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sadhukar
Guarantee you this is not in investment banks. Anything below russell = very, very hard; 2:2 = death sentence unless you have a good reason. Even in Oxbridge.

Depends what you want to do in an investment bank of course. I work for one myself though not in the front office. That said quite by accident I've found myself dealing with regulatory change with front office people now.

Of course, if you're after the six figures then yeah, you probably do need a 2:1 in the right subject. The whole culture of front office banking is rotten to the core so it wouldn't surprise me if they did worry about university in that small example too. The average front office employee is so slap dash with controls and corporate governance that not bothering to have a robust recruitment strategy would be both fitting and explain a lot!

The good news is that European and US laws will slowly erode the bonuses and the ability to perform proprietary trading so investment bankers will start to be paid a sensible amount like everyone else, rather than the Pseudo-Marxist state of affairs we've had for years where the workers have taken everything and then some!
Reply 81
Original post by Quady
Really?

KPMG doesnt care if their future accountants couldn't get GCSE Maths at a C...?

Care to elaborate why?

How is KPMG a top employer by any stretch of the imagination?
Reply 82
Original post by samba
How is KPMG a top employer by any stretch of the imagination?

How much it pays its grads compared to the average grad salary on graduation...? ie which salary percentile of grads a roles at KPMG gives you.

Being placed third in the Times Top 100 graduate employers...?
Original post by Quady
How much it pays its grads compared to the average grad salary on graduation...? ie which salary percentile of grads a roles at KPMG gives you.

I've found KPMG to have one of the lower starting salaries. If you compare them to other top graduate recruiters like Aldi, Lidl and Microsoft for example.

Original post by Quady
I know, but I didn't want to get caught out by you saying most PGCE courses are in the 50% you'd keep.

Rightt..... so you want to keep Bath Spa, UWE and York St John courses then?

I think the point would be, a PGCE would be the type of course that you do at a local, cheaper, day time college, it should not be something done at a university. The same with many other courses.

Original post by Josb
It looks like the German system: http://www.oecd.org/germany/48657384.pdf
Considering the very low graduate unemployment in Germany, maybe we should do the same.

Are you saying that around 20-25% of German school leavers go to university as opposed to the more 50% of people that do here? If so, then yes, that is absolutely worth looking into.
Original post by AW1983
Actually, I would argue that the deck is stacked in favour not only of the privately educated but also those who live in wealthier areas and go to better comprehensive or (where available) Grammar Schools. Students in poor performing schools, even if brilliant, are unlikely to get both the straight As and support in all the extra-curriculars to get past an interview with Oxbridge unless they are truly exceptional and far better than everyone else who gets in. So there is doubt in my mind. That and the fact that talent without hard work is irrelevant and every university, even Oxford and Cambridge, have students who don't do a lot of work.

I've no idea what you two are debating about, but I've always argued the above point. It is significantly easier to get something like AAA at Eton/a top state school than at a rough area, for all sorts of factors. We should take this as a given. Just thought I'd back you up here.

Original post by AW1983

I don't know if the Universities of Sheffield, Birmingham or Cardiff would appreciate that remark but I find it quite amusing given the crux of your argument. I've said a million times on this site that its A-Level grades and the fact that people with good grades tend to go to certain universities rather than any real difference in the course that leads to these students outnumbering others. It has much more logic to it than a recruiter agonising over who to pick because someone went to a university 2 places higher in the league tables.

Sheffield, Birmingham and Cardiff are top top universities. Sheffield and Birmingham are in the World Top 100, above LSE. If you went to one of those you could certainly make it in law.

Also, there is a handbook lying around at university where it says 'The UK's top 100' law firms, and each of them has a mini Q&A with a graduate in, which also states their university, and you'll see that the universities vary, from the RG, to mid table, to post-1992 universities. And while the 150 per place competition for Investment Banking probably makes it hard at entry level if you haven't been to a Russell, for Law it's not the case.

Original post by Da Di Doo

A Levels are incredible easy content wise. I doubt Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick even Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle Law would be as easy as A Levels.

Use of the word even here is snobbery. Leeds/Manchester/Newcastle wouldn't be much tougher than Oxbridge at all. For a written subject like Law it's minimal.
Reply 85
Original post by Eboracum
I've found KPMG to have one of the lower starting salaries. If you compare them to other top graduate recruiters like Aldi, Lidl and Microsoft for example.

Similar to degrees, depends how thinly you define your 'top'.

I thought they paid £29-32k, within the top 20% of graduate pay.

Aldi/Lidl pay more because you have no social life, the hourly wage is about the same. Oh you're right about MS, they've bumped their pay, they used to lag.

I didn't say KPMG was 'the top' grad employer, just an example. I'm pretty damn confident ALDI/LIDL care about GCSE grades tbh (assuming the application process is the same as when I did it).
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't tar all HR departments with the same brush.

Recruitment is fairly subjective at the best of times, but the "trendy" processes you are talking about aren't just plucked out of the air. There is often analysis and evidence behind the tools and the methods behind them.

I speak to plenty of other hiring managers in my industry, my experiences are far from unique. I'm also not ignorant of how the HR processes are designed and the rationale behind them - I just don't consider that, in reality, the evidence-based approach trumps senior HR personnel's prior experience, contacts and trends in the industry. Also, as a scientist, there is a lot left to be desired from what the humanities graduates in HR think is evidence and analysis.

The fact that the HR processes in my company fail to deliver the right people for my team is a problem for the business and so it doesn't matter how much evidence there is behind a process - if it doesn't work, it needs to change. Many of my colleagues have taken to advertising their graduate positions outside the grad schemes so they can have more control over the hiring process (bad processes will get circumvented) - but I can't and won't do that as it significantly reduces the training budgets available, which is difficult for me and unfair to the graduates.
Reply 87
I think the point would be, a PGCE would be the type of course that you do at a local, cheaper, day time college, it should not be something done at a university. The same with many other courses.

Are you saying that around 20-25% of German school leavers go to university as opposed to the more 50% of people that do here? If so, then yes, that is absolutely worth looking into.

What course did you do that couldn't be done at a local, cheaper, day time college?

Have you got a source for more than 50% of school leavers going to uni? I thought it was 40%...
Original post by Quady
Similar to degrees, depends how thinly you define your 'top'.

I thought they paid £29-32k, within the top 20% of graduate pay.

Aldi/Lidl pay more because you have no social life, the hourly wage is about the same. Oh you're right about MS, they've bumped their pay, they used to lag.

I didn't say KPMG was 'the top' grad employer, just an example. I'm pretty damn confident ALDI/LIDL care about GCSE grades tbh (assuming the application process is the same as when I did it).

My understanding (think this is E&Y to be fair) was that you're paid 21k for the first three years while you train. Where as the average grad scheme salary seemed to be about 25k for govt schemes and 27-28k for private schemes, that was just the impression I did for the bit of research.

The Aldi 41k and a company car grad scheme is very tempting. Yes the Microsoft grad scheme is 35k

Aldi just says you need a 2:1 and a driving license. I was on the website three days ago. I say all this because I'm a final year thinking about what I want to do.

GCSEs and A Levels should not matter, particularly for candidates who are a bit older. I suppose there is an argument for it for people who went to uni straight away and have not worked full time, but in my case I failed half my GCSEs for example, but am now on for a 2:1 at a Russell, and I would think my few years work experience make me more qualified than somebody with B in Maths at GCSE or AAB at A Level.

You a final year grad?
Reply 89
I've no idea what you two are debating about, but I've always argued the above point. It is significantly easier to get something like AAA at Eton/a top state school than at a rough area, for all sorts of factors. We should take this as a given. Just thought I'd back you up here.

Thanks. I absolutely agree with you on this, although I don't know how it can be taken as a given because it's difficult to measure. I think the best answer is to take Private School's charity status away and tax them like businesses (with VAT on school fees too) and to use the revenue to spend more on comprehensive schools. Those of us with the means and abilities to do so also need to avoid hypocrisy, send our children to comprehensives and get involved in the life of the school our children go to in order to help improve standards in any way we can.

Sheffield, Birmingham and Cardiff are top top universities. Sheffield and Birmingham are in the World Top 100, above LSE. If you went to one of those you could certainly make it in law.

Interestingly, Cardiff being a top university is very very recent. When I was packing off to university about 13 years ago, a peer of mine managed to get in to study History with BC at A-Level and a B at AS Level. I still think it ranks well below some non-RG universities in my field of History, like Lancaster.

Also, there is a handbook lying around at university where it says 'The UK's top 100' law firms, and each of them has a mini Q&A with a graduate in, which also states their university, and you'll see that the universities vary, from the RG, to mid table, to post-1992 universities. And while the 150 per place competition for Investment Banking probably makes it hard at entry level if you haven't been to a Russell, for Law it's not the case.

I think in law it depends what you want to do. There will be snobs who look where you went to university but I expect this to happen much more in the mid-tier than the top-tier. The top-tier are made up of hard headed businessmen and if they're anything like my firm they won't care where someone studied because no where will match the experience and development they think they can offer. If you show potential in your academics, it doesn't matter where you studied.

Use of the word even here is snobbery. Leeds/Manchester/Newcastle wouldn't be much tougher than Oxbridge at all. For a written subject like Law it's minimal.

I think what a lot of people forget is that the appeal of Oxbridge to employers is the extra-curriculars, not the exams you sit. I'm certainly fully confident that if I sat a History finals paper at Oxbridge I'd do just as well as anywhere else. If anyone knows how I can prove that, feel free to let me know!
Original post by Quady

Have you got a source for more than 50% of school leavers going to uni? I thought it was 40%...

I think to be fair to you, I read 'nearly 50%', that was in a Telegraph article in 2013. Even if we go with your number, 40% is too many. Would have been 5% in the 1960s or something.
Original post by J-SP
Psychometric testing is known to be one of the strongest predictors of performance when compared to other recruitment assessments or other filtering tools, especially for graduate programmes.

They do have to be used correctly though and in my opinion alongside other evidence/assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one does psychometric testing properly, you just hit the answers that will give the best outcome. You've got to be pretty thick to not see through it.
Reply 92
My understanding (think this is E&Y to be fair) was that you're paid 21k for the first three years while you train. Where as the average grad scheme salary seemed to be about 25k for govt schemes and 27-28k for private schemes, that was just the impression I did for the bit of research.

The Aldi 41k and a company car grad scheme is very tempting. Yes the Microsoft grad scheme is 35k

Aldi just says you need a 2:1 and a driving license. I was on the website three days ago. I say all this because I'm a final year thinking about what I want to do.

GCSEs and A Levels should not matter, particularly for candidates who are a bit older. I suppose there is an argument for it for people who went to uni straight away and have not worked full time, but in my case I failed half my GCSEs for example, but am now on for a 2:1 at a Russell, and I would think my few years work experience make me more qualified than somebody with B in Maths at GCSE or AAB at A Level.

You a final year grad?

Well it was £27,500 back in 2009...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=949695

What use it the company car? Not like you'll get chance to use it for anything other than home to one of the stores/regional office...
Its IB hours for middle management pay.
Point to note about Aldi, they don't pay expenses for their interview which I found an annoyance.

Yeah thats v competitive from Microsoft, five years ago it was £26k, they've completely leap frogged Accenture. I might let my grad scheme know about that tbh.

Its just numbers, there are plenty of people at Russel Group unis goign to get 2.i degrees and have decent GCSE/A Level score(the great majority do). Its simply not cost effective to keep more people int he process - otherwise might as well not have a degree barrier either.

As you know from either in the thread, I've already graduated and have a job (not with KPMG I should add!)
Reply 93
I think to be fair to you, I read 'nearly 50%', that was in a Telegraph article in 2013. Even if we go with your number, 40% is too many. Would have been 5% in the 1960s or something.

Sure, it would have been.

So you don't think jonny-come-latley universities like York, Bath, Warwick should have been founded? :s-smilie:

Or do you convieniently think your Plateglass university is acceptable, but others aren't?
Original post by Quady
Well it was £27,500 back in 2009...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=949695

What use it the company car? Not like you'll get chance to use it for anything other than home to one of the stores/regional office...
Its IB hours for middle management pay.
Point to note about Aldi, they don't pay expenses for their interview which I found an annoyance.

Yeah thats v competitive from Microsoft, five years ago it was £26k, they've completely leap frogged Accenture. I might let my grad scheme know about that tbh.

Its just numbers, there are plenty of people at Russel Group unis goign to get 2.i degrees and have decent GCSE/A Level score(the great majority do). Its simply not cost effective to keep more people int he process - otherwise might as well not have a degree barrier either.

As you know from either in the thread, I've already graduated and have a job (not with KPMG I should add!)

Look, I'm not sure about this. All I know, is somebody on my course got a job at E&Y, he said his first three years salary is 21k whilst training, and then after three years it would go up. I'd be looking for at least 25 when I start, but I understand how competitive it is.

No I don't accept that. Some would have performed poorly in school but got their act together since then. Particularly the work experience would probably make them a better candidate, even than someone with AAB. And many graduate schemes know this. Someone who worked for a few years before going to uni cannot be treated the same as someone fresh out of uni whose never had a full time job.

No, those universities are fine. Their cities did not have universities prior to their founding.
Original post by samba
Top employers don't give a **** about GCSE maths.

Try telling that to website forms that won't let you through if you haven't got the required grade.
Reply 96
No I don't accept that. Some would have performed poorly in school but got their act together since then. Particularly the work experience would probably make them a better candidate, even than someone with AAB. And many graduate schemes know this. Someone who worked for a few years before going to uni cannot be treated the same as someone fresh out of uni whose never had a full time job.

No, those universities are fine. Their cities did not have universities prior to their founding.

Sure, so why'd you look to block people with low grades, got into (say) the University of Lincoln, done an industrial placement year and got their act together with a decent 2.i or 1st?

Note, the City of Lincoln didn't have a university prior to its founding...

You realise in the lovely days of yesteryear you wouldn't have gone to uni right? You're part of the expansion of the system you're decrying.
Original post by J-SP
You must be talking about personality based testing rather than ability tests (although both are psychometrics). Ability tests are all about giving a factually correct answer by analysing information. The test is designed to see if you can get the "best outcome" and requires thought/logic to get to that answer.

Personality testing or situational judgement test analyse your behaviours/choices, and yes people can select their answers more on how they think the company would want them to respond versus how they would really respond. These people are usually picked up at other stages of the process though. SJTs are also known to be a good way of getting someone to think about whether they are right for the job, and often lead to people self selecting themselves out of roles. So they have their merits too.

I should have been clearer that I was talking about ability test in my previous post though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't psychometric literally mean "personality measurement"?

psyche- personality
metric - measurement

The ability tests are ok, although quite why anyone would think that a 10 minute quiz would be a more accurate measurement of someone's true ability than the result of an intensive 4 year degree course is beyond me.
Reply 98
Original post by cole-slaw
Doesn't psychometric literally mean "personality measurement"?

psyche- personality
metric - measurement

The ability tests are ok, although quite why anyone would think that a 10 minute quiz would be a more accurate measurement of someone's true ability than the result of an intensive 4 year degree course is beyond me.

Nobody does, thats why it comes after the degree requirement.
Original post by Quady
Nobody does, thats why it comes after the degree requirement.

So why bother with them? Just hire the guys with the most impressive and relevant degrees. Its a far more accurate indicator of their ability to succeed.

HR and recruitment companies are completely useless, most of them don't even understand the job description of the person they are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending