The Student Room Group

Does anyone get social anxiety?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
I think you will find that actually, most people feel like this, especially in their teenage years. Its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. The good news is that this is something you grow out of.

Social anxiety is something more serious and extreme that the symptoms you describe. Its very rare and requires medical/psychiatric assistance.

sometimes youre rude.sometimes I think youre wrong.sometimes your right and make utter sense.today is not that day but Il follow anyways.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Perhaps I am. However, you were the first person to bring up SAD, and it wasn't to the OP. OP actually didn't even mention SAD, the only term mentioned was "social anxiety".
A paraphrase of the exchange would be:
OP: I think I have social anxiety.
You: You don't have social anxiety.

In your reply to the other guy, you did indeed say that. However, my post was referring to your initial post to OP.

What am I, his psychiatrist? :ahee: I was taking the piss.

Yeah, I was clarifying, for the benefit of both OP and the other 3 billion TSR members who claim to have "social anxiety", that they may have anxiety about social situations (in the general sense) but they do not have Social Anxiety Disorder, in the medical sense.

Both myself and the TSR staff agree that this is an extremely important message to get across to people, and I would ask you not to muddy the waters here. People need accurate and compassionate advice, not pointless arguments about semantics.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
sometimes youre rude.sometimes I think youre wrong.sometimes your right and make utter sense.today is not that day but Il follow anyways.

I'm often rude, but I'm rarely wrong...

At least I don't think I'm wrong, if you can prove otherwise I will happily change my mind :smile:
I'm often rude, but I'm rarely wrong...

At least I don't think I'm wrong, if you can prove otherwise I will happily change my mind :smile:

if yeh seem an interesting ish character alright.

il have a decent chat another day but for now just the one question

why if you are so wise..such a player..such a master of this world...why dwell in the realms of T. S. R. ?
With lots of people I don't know, yes. It's weird, I could lead a debate or serious topic of discussion between large groups, I can argue with authority and interview well but it's like the small talk I'm awful at and those conversations where you are trying to find something socially acceptable to talk about in a given situation so that the other person doesn't get bored or something. I hate having to try and fit into groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Foo.mp3
Only when I'm not so well, the rest of the time I'm fine, especially when I've just had sex, for some reason it makes me feel invincible for 24 hours :dontknow:

Your posts always reek of insecurity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by iamintorture
I am too nervous to speak up in social settings so I retreat into a shell. Even though I have things I want to say I don't say them. I just go quiet and get anxious. This is especially with people in authority. Anyone
else?
FF to 2:44 here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by trustmeimlying1
if yeh seem an interesting ish character alright.

il have a decent chat another day but for now just the one question

why if you are so wise..such a player..such a master of this world...why dwell in the realms of T. S. R. ?

I have retired as a player.

I was a really dorky teenager like a lot of people on here but I found a way to have a really good time at uni and became your stereotypical alpha male, I feel like I should pay something back by giving sensible advice to others so they can do the same. :dontknow:
Reply 68
I fluctuate between being very worried what people think of.me so not saying much to not giving a **** about these foolish mortals , all in all I am far more egocentric and a pote tially nastier piece of work than I make out :redface:
Reply 69
Original post by james1211
Your posts always reek of insecurity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Foo! He's a relationship coach and one of the most confident guys on here after his social transformation...isn't he? :s-smilie:
Yes when I am around the people I do not know at all.
I have retired as a player.

I was a really dorky teenager like a lot of people on here but I found a way to have a really good time at uni and became your stereotypical alpha male, I feel like I should pay something back by giving sensible advice to others so they can do the same. :dontknow:

fair enough..eventually youre gonna look for a solid relationship

why not do an article or take on some as a project :cool:
that way everyone could see what yeh preach aint a lie.

Quick Reply

Latest