The Student Room Group

English Language Requirements

Hi guys!

So this is a bit of a stupid question regarding the IELTS...

I've received my results and got an average score of 8.5 - with 9 in three sections, but an unfortunate score of 6.5 in writing orz

I'm applying to Manchester, Cardiff, St Andrews and Liverpool. Not sure about Liverpool, but I know Manchester and St Andrews state that I need a minimum of 7 in all components...

Actually, (excluding St Andrews) I think that my English is already considered sufficient because I got an A in both GCSE English Lang and English Lit, but I decided to take the IELTs just incase.

Anyways, sorry for the wordiness - do you think I should retake the exam? And will they allow for retakes? Also, do you think they will still consider my application, but ask me to retake it later?
Reply 1
Original post by airii
Hi guys!

So this is a bit of a stupid question regarding the IELTS...

I've received my results and got an average score of 8.5 - with 9 in three sections, but an unfortunate score of 6.5 in writing orz

I'm applying to Manchester, Cardiff, St Andrews and Liverpool. Not sure about Liverpool, but I know Manchester and St Andrews state that I need a minimum of 7 in all components...

Actually, (excluding St Andrews) I think that my English is already considered sufficient because I got an A in both GCSE English Lang and English Lit, but I decided to take the IELTs just incase.

Anyways, sorry for the wordiness - do you think I should retake the exam? And will they allow for retakes? Also, do you think they will still consider my application, but ask me to retake it later?

This is going to be something you need to look on uni websites for and/or email their admissions departments.

I don't have any experience of IELTS etc, but here in Denmark you can meet the Danish language requirement either by doing the equivalent of A2 Danish (as a First Language) which is rather like A2 English Lang and Lit, and which all Danish applicants need to have anyway, or you can pass Studieprøven, which is Danish for foreigners wishing to study at university level and obviously the equivalent of IELTS, with at least 7 in all four sections.

If you can meet the English language requirement in more than one way and you've done so in one of those ways, I don't think they'd care at all about your results in IELTS. But I don't know whether they accept GCSE English and English Lit instead - maybe you do, or you can find out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending