The Student Room Group

Getting a Reference - help!

Has anybody had any difficulty in gaining a principal reference for a PGCE application from a university lecturer? I tried one who led my tutorial group and one person that I actually spoke to. She suggested my personal tutor but I only met him like twice whilst I was at uni. I'm stressing because none of lecturer's knew me properly apart from someone who turned up to lectures. I just want to see if anyone had this same problem that I am? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by Remmy13
Has anybody had any difficulty in gaining a principal reference for a PGCE application from a university lecturer? I tried one who led my tutorial group and one person that I actually spoke to. She suggested my personal tutor but I only met him like twice whilst I was at uni. I'm stressing because none of lecturer's knew me properly apart from someone who turned up to lectures. I just want to see if anyone had this same problem that I am? :s-smilie:

I'm having this same problem also! My personal tutor fell ill at the very beginning of final year before I even got to meet her and they didn't assign me a new one till later in the year, so I don't know who to choose.
Reply 2
Yeah I have tried emailing my personal tutor today to see if he could give me a reference but if he says no then I am in trouble because I don't think anyone else would remember me. Have you tried with the new personal tutor?
My personal tutor has 'sort of' agreed, although hesitantly, as he mentioned in his e-mail.

He said he couldn't really comment on whether I'd be a suitable teacher or not, but he'd 'do his best'.

Wth? Arghh.
Original post by Remmy13

how long ago did you graduate? I used an employer reference and the deputy head at aschool I'd been volunteering in, as it had been a while since I'd left uni . I did have a uni lecturer lined up in case I needed him, however.
Original post by Remmy13

try sending them your personal statement you're sending to ucas, will help them have things to write about :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AnyoneBesidesAsh
My personal tutor has 'sort of' agreed, although hesitantly, as he mentioned in his e-mail.

He said he couldn't really comment on whether I'd be a suitable teacher or not, but he'd 'do his best'.

Wth? Arghh.

Well it is better then nothing I guess but its not reassuring :s-smilie: I'm sure it will be ok! Good luck with your application!
Reply 7
Original post by swarfliam
try sending them your personal statement you're sending to ucas, will help them have things to write about :smile:

Yeah, I emailed my personal tutor and boy does he have a good memory! He remembered who I was which I was suprised about but yeah I need to complete my personal statement. I've hit a wall with it but yeah he said he looks forward to receiving an email from Ucas!
I used my personal tutor even though I'd literally never met him. I didn't know anyone else either! Could you not ask your dissertation supervisor? They normally know you quite well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just remember things like this are generally accepted to be part of a personal tutors job (at least that is what it seemed at my uni). If you aren't close with your personal tutor they can look at your transcript, read your ps and write something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending