The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Has anyone else been invited to an applicant visit day?

I have been invited to an applicant visit day (not interview) but I haven't been given an offer. Does this mean everyone who has applied has been invited to a visit day, or does it mean I'm going to be given an offer on the day?

Is anyone else in this situation?
Reply 1
Original post by Hoosierette
I have been invited to an applicant visit day (not interview) but I haven't been given an offer. Does this mean everyone who has applied has been invited to a visit day, or does it mean I'm going to be given an offer on the day?

Is anyone else in this situation?

Last year I had something similar with an informal interview, it depends on your course but I'd say you're likely to get one if they've asked you down here :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I got an offer from Southampton and they want me to come and visit them without an interview :smile:
Reply 3
I've been invited to one with an informal interview. No offer yet. (CompSci)
I have been invited to a UCAS visit day in January and was asked in the letter to research a topic of interest related to my degree to form the basis of a 5 minute discussion. Apparently it will be quite informal. I applied for BSc Geology (single honours).
Reply 5
Original post by BenF2409
I've been invited to one with an informal interview. No offer yet. (CompSci)

Yay, Computer Science!

If you have any questions, fire away - I'm a first year Computer Scientist.
Reply 6
Original post by neosilky
Yay, Computer Science!

If you have any questions, fire away - I'm a first year Computer Scientist.

Hey

I am going there on Thursday (Computer Science) ! Any hints on what the interview is like? And what's the course like mostly? Very challenging, Mathsy?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by glitchrr
Hey

I am going there on Thursday! Any hints on what the interview is like? And what's the course like mostly? Very challenging, Mathsy?

Okay, I'm a first year so I'll tell you about it so far...!

The interview is very straightforward, my interviewer only asked a few questions about items I had included in my personal statement. I had no technical questions but I did ask "So what do you research?" which we talked about for the rest of the interview. Nothing to worry about but make sure you read your personal statement before you turn up.

I love the course! We're at the end of our first semester so we have just finished 4 modules. Out of those 4, one is a Maths module. It's a lot of A2 Maths/Further Maths (mainly statistics) with a little more advanced stuff on logic so as long as you work on the tutorials and do a little extra work, you'll be fine.

The other three consist of the following: Computer Systems - the electronic side of computers (basically computer architecture), Programming 1 - An introduction to programming, very straightforward if you have previous experience and finally we have Professional Development which looks at the academic side of Computer Science (technical reports etc.).

Exams are in January but they shouldn't be too hard with a good bit of revision.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Okay, I'm a first year so I'll tell you about it so far...!

The interview is very straightforward, my interviewer only asked a few questions about items I had included in my personal statement. I had no technical questions but I did ask "So what do you research?" which we talked about for the rest of the interview. Nothing to worry about but make sure you read your personal statement before you turn up.

I love the course! We're at the end of our first semester so we have just finished 4 modules. Out of those 4, one is a Maths module. It's a lot of A2 Maths/Further Maths (mainly statistics) with a little more advanced stuff on logic so as long as you work on the tutorials and do a little extra work, you'll be fine.

The other three consist of the following: Computer Systems - the electronic side of computers (basically computer architecture), Programming 1 - An introduction to programming, very straightforward if you have previous experience and finally we have Professional Development which looks at the academic side of Computer Science (technical reports etc.).

Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

That sounds awesome, I am really undecided between them and Bath (offer from Bath already). Do you think there's a big emphasis on programming or not so much? (That's really where my interests lie). Also, what is the department and the other students typically like friendly, outgoing and the halls any preferences?
Reply 9
Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

That sounds awesome, I am really undecided between them and Bath (offer from Bath already). Do you think there's a big emphasis on programming or not so much? (That's really where my interests lie). Also, what is the department and the other students typically like friendly, outgoing and the halls any preferences?

Last year, if you had an interview, you had an offer and I'm sure it'll stay the same this year but don't quote me on that!

I'm also really into programming. This first module, Programming 1, isn't the most interesting if you know the basics (remember, it gets people to some sort of similar playing field) but I have learnt a few bonus things. We learn Java but I believe it ramps up in difficulty in Programming 2 next term! We have a small group of people who meet together once a week and present projects they did over the past week, it's really cool!

Another key bonus of Southampton is that we had a hell of a lot of people come in to give talks. They offer jobs + internships so it's really good for that. (+ free pizza!)

The department is great, a lot of incredibly clever lecturers and PhD students. You'll see Thursday that our undergraduate labs are amazing, I spend a hell of a lot of time in there!

The other students are great, both on my course and living with me... I'm sure you'll see/be told all this on Thursday. I'd normally be working as an ambassador but I have a presentation. :frown:

Accommodation is really good and very cheap. We have a lot of different types of halls around the city but the main ones (Wessex Lane/Glen Eyre) have really good communities and it's really good to live here! :smile:
Reply 10
Last year, if you had an interview, you had an offer and I'm sure it'll stay the same this year but don't quote me on that!

I'm also really into programming. This first module, Programming 1, isn't the most interesting if you know the basics (remember, it gets people to some sort of similar playing field) but I have learnt a few bonus things. We learn Java but I believe it ramps up in difficulty in Programming 2 next term! We have a small group of people who meet together once a week and present projects they did over the past week, it's really cool!

Another key bonus of Southampton is that we had a hell of a lot of people come in to give talks. They offer jobs + internships so it's really good for that. (+ free pizza!)

The department is great, a lot of incredibly clever lecturers and PhD students. You'll see Thursday that our undergraduate labs are amazing, I spend a hell of a lot of time in there!

The other students are great, both on my course and living with me... I'm sure you'll see/be told all this on Thursday. I'd normally be working as an ambassador but I have a presentation. :frown:

Accommodation is really good and very cheap. We have a lot of different types of halls around the city but the main ones (Wessex Lane/Glen Eyre) have really good communities and it's really good to live here! :smile:

That presentation stuff sounds really cool, will be interested in knowing all about that. Yep I saw the facilities on their open day no chance to get a feel for the people though but sounds awesome, I will probably firm Southampton if I get an offer I shall see :smile: Thanks so much for the info you're awesome!
That presentation stuff sounds really cool, will be interested in knowing all about that. Yep I saw the facilities on their open day no chance to get a feel for the people though but sounds awesome, I will probably firm Southampton if I get an offer I shall see :smile: Thanks so much for the info you're awesome!

The labs are normally packed during the day!

No problem :smile:

Have fun and good luck!
I got an offer for International Marketing but with no mention of visit days and i cant find anything on their websites. Anyone know how i can find out more information about this?
Reply 13
They'll e-mail you about it if there is a visit day for your course :smile: usually a post offer open day I think
Ive had an offer from Manchester and they also didnt give me info about these days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending