The Student Room Group

Who else regrets taking Art GCSE?

Hi guys,

I'm in year 11 and I decided (most unfortunately) to do art GCSE, thinking it would be a 'doss' subject but woah was I wrong!
Urghh I hate the subject so much, it's time consuming and so awful when you fall behind...
What's worse is I have mock exams coming up and Art prep is taking up revision time for all my other subjects.
And my project title is so boring ('natural forms')...every time my teacher tells me to consider A level, I imagine myself in therapy.
I literally cannot wait to drop this subject.

So the point of this thread is for all you other art students to discuss what you think of the subject. Like it? Hate it? Are you falling behind too? Is it as time consuming?

Maybe I'm being dramatic, but it's just so stressful...
I think i'd be really disappointed if I got a bad grade in art especially after all the hard work.

Scroll to see replies

I did art and design for GCSE which is kind of similar to art GCSE. It is quite stressful when you fall behind work because if you're missing some bits and pieces it can pull your grade down :frown:. I had 3 different teachers (1 left after 3 weeks, the other stayed till Christmas and the other was only with us for a few months) during the 2 years and one of them fell ill just before preparing for the exam piece, which meant that we had no help. You have to write a lot about your pieces so the examiner knows what you're doing and which artist inspired you to create that piece etc. I had to finish all my work before exams started, and tbh if I didn't take art and design my GCSE grades would've been much higher...
(edited 9 years ago)
I was kinda like this last year, now I'm doing it for AS.

If you have the willpower, I recommend getting up and working from 6-7 each morning to catch up a bit.

I also did natural forms so I feel your pain :/
I can appreciate that its not for everyone but art gcse doesnt really matter anyway so id say u dont have to put that much effort in if u dnt want to. I doubt youll get in that much trouble if u fall behind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lyuz
I can appreciate that its not for everyone but art gcse doesnt really matter anyway so id say u dont have to put that much effort in if u dnt want to. I doubt youll get in that much trouble if u fall behind

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and want good grades in everything including art, so i'll just have to push a little further, it's less than a year left I suppose haha
Reply 5
Original post by TheBluePianist
I did art and design for GCSE which is kind of similar to art GCSE. It is quite stressful when you fall behind work because if you're missing some bits and pieces it can pull your grade down :frown:. I had 3 different teachers (1 left after 3 weeks, the other stayed till Christmas and the other was only with us for a few months) during the 2 years and one of them fell ill just before preparing for the exam piece, which meant that we had no help. You have to write a lot about your pieces so the examiner knows what you're doing and which artist inspired you to create that piece etc. I had to finish all my work before exams started, and tbh if I didn't take art and design my GCSE grades would've been much higher...

Ikr! Trying to find time for other subjects is difficult, thankfully the art teachers in my school are quite good. Did you get the grade you wanted in the end?
Reply 6
I didn't really get that we were supposed to just be showing our 'journey' exploring the subject matter and various media throughout in our sketchbooks so I struggled with work in general for Art - I am a bit of a perfectionist so it took until the very end of the two years for me to just mess around with ideas and leave them in the book and maybe put a note next to them explaining what I was thinking/experimenting with. I wish I'd known at the start, then my work would have a much more natural progression to it (and I wouldn't have messed around agonising over the 'big piece' for weeks and weeks and weeks) and I would have had a lot more bulk to my portfolio.

I might choose to do it again if I could have known that in the beginning. As it was, it was my only B, and I regretted taking it. I would have been much better served by something else - just about anything else, actually. Probably would have been History.
Haha this describes me perfectly- I got a*s in all my others gcses except art :frown:
And I spent more work on it than the rest of the others combined :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm doing my ASs now and I regret taking GCSE Art so much. It was so much work, and took up time I could have spent on other subjects. I wish I had picked Geography instead.
I'm doing it as well and I really can relate to your feelings OP! I am quite academic so chose art as a kind of "time-out" and "fun" subject. Boy way I wrong! I'm very hardworking and balancing homework usually isn't an issue but art...that's a completely different story. I cannot physically keep up with the workload, so since I'm not taking it further than GCSE I'm just trying to maintain my grade at the moment and get through it alive! So no, you aren't being melodramatic in the slightest...every art student I know hates it too.
Oh honey, I remember those Art GCSE days.

Funnily enough, I always handed in my homework on time and Art STILL remained to be my most stressful GCSE! I did enjoy it though, but the workload was insane.

My first all-nighter was to finish annotating everything in my sketchbook, and I remember literally falling asleep during school the next day because I was so effing tired! It was all worth it in the end though.

Keep going, and annotate absolutely everything (seriously, EVERYTHING) to get the top marks. And don't let the workload pile up!

Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I regret it so much and I know most of my class does as it takes up so much time and the themes are soo boring! My teachers no use whatsoever it's just a complete waste of time!
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Who doesn't? :tongue:
My experience with GCSE Art wasn't too great, but in the end it didn't turn out that bad so I don't entirely regret my decision, even though I really did hate art.
Original post by bothersome
Ikr! Trying to find time for other subjects is difficult, thankfully the art teachers in my school are quite good. Did you get the grade you wanted in the end?

Not really :frown:. I was aiming for an A*...I ended up with an A (which is still good) but with the effort I put in I thought I could've got an A*. The problem was that I didn't write much about the artist I was researching and about my pieces in the beginning. I found this out near the end and had to rush everything :frown:
My friends are doing Art mocks at the moment....5 hours today and 5 hours tomorrow. I really feel for them.

I like Art, but I didn't take it because I can't paint/draw on command I prefer to do it in my spare time and when I'm in the mood.
Reply 16
Original post by Ronove
I didn't really get that we were supposed to just be showing our 'journey' exploring the subject matter and various media throughout in our sketchbooks so I struggled with work in general for Art - I am a bit of a perfectionist so it took until the very end of the two years for me to just mess around with ideas and leave them in the book and maybe put a note next to them explaining what I was thinking/experimenting with. I wish I'd known at the start, then my work would have a much more natural progression to it (and I wouldn't have messed around agonising over the 'big piece' for weeks and weeks and weeks) and I would have had a lot more bulk to my portfolio.

I might choose to do it again if I could have known that in the beginning. As it was, it was my only B, and I regretted taking it. I would have been much better served by something else - just about anything else, actually. Probably would have been History.

Yes, I was seriously considering taking history too- it was one of my better subjects but I was worried my combinations would get too academic but honestly I feel as though I would probably have been better suited to that path... oh well
I am currently studying it as well (because it was either art, history or geography and i prefer art) and I do find myself falling behind frequently.
I knew my final grade was going to be 60% coursework, 40% exam, but I honestly feel like I'm drowning in coursework and it's definitely taking away time from other subject's homework/coursework hours (and it's only November.)
I'm targeted a C grade for the end of KS 4 (which is somehow based from my previous English and art levels in year 9) but my art teacher is aiming for a B grade minimum for everyone in my class.
but yeah, it's a nightmare
Reply 18
Original post by Gcseboy1997
Haha this describes me perfectly- I got a*s in all my others gcses except art :frown:
And I spent more work on it than the rest of the others combined :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

aww that's such a shame- but still, congrats on your awesome grades. All a*'s in everything but one subject is amazing!
Reply 19
Original post by coolerthanbeans
Oh honey, I remember those Art GCSE days.

Funnily enough, I always handed in my homework on time and Art STILL remained to be my most stressful GCSE! I did enjoy it though, but the workload was insane.

My first all-nighter was to finish annotating everything in my sketchbook, and I remember literally falling asleep during school the next day because I was so effing tired! It was all worth it in the end though.

Keep going, and annotate absolutely everything (seriously, EVERYTHING) to get the top marks. And don't let the workload pile up!

Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the advice! Annotation is such a bore though, but if i must haha

Quick Reply

Latest