The Student Room Group

Best universities for Engineering with a Foundation Year?

Anywhere apart from Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Anywhere apart from Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I liked the look of Sheffield's course and department.
Original post by mscaffrey
I liked the look of Sheffield's course and department.

Awesome! Thanks. What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome! Thanks. What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not actually applying for engineering any more-I was looking into it last year, but ultimately decided on economics. I did a lot of research though, so I thought I may as well pass on my knowledge. I was going to apply to Nottingham and Sheffield, but I didn't get to the point where I'd decided on any others.
Reply 4
Swansea's worth a look. New engineering campus from next year I think.
Reply 5
Original post by TyrionL
Swansea's worth a look. New engineering campus from next year I think.

The engineering campus looks incredible from the pictures. Right by the beach as well.
Have a look at manchester, BBC if doing sciences.
I've applied, really hope I get an offer =)
Also +1 to Swansea
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
Have a look at manchester, BBC if doing sciences.
I've applied, really hope I get an offer =)
Also +1 to Swansea

Thanks! And would doing a Foundation Year disadvantage you career-wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! And would doing a Foundation Year disadvantage you career-wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't see why it should, you end up with the same degree as anybody else from that Uni.
The only disadvantage I can see, is not having the required ucas points for some grad schemes
Don't see why it should, you end up with the same degree as anybody else from that Uni.
The only disadvantage I can see, is not having the required ucas points for some grad schemes

Could you possibly explain that, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you possibly explain that, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Normally, people applying to foundation years fall in to one of two categories, either taking the wrong subjects, or not getting the sufficient grades, Looking at your choices however, it seems you are taking the "wrong" subjects so should be fine.
Whereas people who have insufficient grades will have considerably less UCAS points than those who entered the course directly. This may prove to be a disadvantage when applying to grad schemes that use UCAS points to filter out candidates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Normally, people applying to foundation years fall in to one of two categories, either taking the wrong subjects, or not getting the sufficient grades, Looking at your choices however, it seems you are taking the "wrong" subjects so should be fine.
Whereas people who have insufficient grades will have considerably less UCAS points than those who entered the course directly. This may prove to be a disadvantage when applying to grad schemes that use UCAS points to filter out candidates

Posted from TSR Mobile

I overheard a couple of recruitment officers from I think Rolls Royce talking about that and they said they'd use something else as a filter for foundation year students if they didn't meet the UCAS point requirement. I think it was marks in the foundation year but it was a few weeks ago so I don't remember exactly
Original post by kingm
The engineering campus looks incredible from the pictures. Right by the beach as well.

Hello, I'm glad you think our new campus looks incredible from the pictures! The Bay Campus is opening next September 2015 and will be home to the College of Engineering and the School of Management. You're right, it's opposite the beach and will be all brand new facilities! Did you come to one of our Open Days?
How far is the new campus from halls?
Reply 14

I think the halls for first years are onsite as part of the new build. Not sure about other years.

Hello, there will be halls of residence on the new Bay Campus, our Singleton Park campus and the Hendrefoelan Student Village. All accommodation information for next September will be published in February, I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, right! That's okay, then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest