The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Night Life/General living/Going out

Can a current student give a relatively detailed understanding of the night life and other activities available.

From what I can see is that Leicester is a very friendly place to live.

It is quite small which I like but I am a bit worried that this means that the nightlife is not good.

So what is it like?
Reply 1
For dedicated party lovers there is a pleasurable choice, because there are probably more venues in Leicester than ever before, and the list just keeps on growing. The bigger clubs provide a varied programme of events, drawing crowds from all over the Midlands and performers from all over the world. Smaller clubs like The Underground offer the hottest sounds on the contemporary dance scene in intimate and atmospheric surroundings. Many of the clubs have special nights for enthusiasts of different types of music and ‘student nights’ during the week with reduced prices.

Yes maybe you can also find the love of your life here.

I have an adviser about love and sex relationship w/c includes benefits of having a night life. Just send me a private message so I can give you the details.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm from just outside of Leicester and the nightlife is pretty average. I mean it's alright but I'd personally expect better for a city of it's size. Granted when You're with the right people, pretty much any night can be good and leicester has plenty to offer in particular with small music venues in my opinion, Firebug is ace. In truth it's just the bigger clubs that let Leicester down and the fact it can be a little quiet sometimes. I never really go out on student nights nor am I a student in Leicester and students might give different perspectives and tell you more student centric things. I don't think you'd be too disappointed by leicester (depending on what you are used to) but it's nothing special. Now I have friends at uni in Birmingham, I go there much more than Leicester and it is far better but I guess that is to be expected. Nottingham is also a fair bit better than Leicester despite being a similar size. So obviously if you fancied something different then those two cities aren't far away if you really wanted.

Any other questions on Leicester then just ask
Reply 3
Original post by Askaud
I'm from just outside of Leicester and the nightlife is pretty average. I mean it's alright but I'd personally expect better for a city of it's size. Granted when You're with the right people, pretty much any night can be good and leicester has plenty to offer in particular with small music venues in my opinion, Firebug is ace. In truth it's just the bigger clubs that let Leicester down and the fact it can be a little quiet sometimes. I never really go out on student nights nor am I a student in Leicester and students might give different perspectives and tell you more student centric things. I don't think you'd be too disappointed by leicester (depending on what you are used to) but it's nothing special. Now I have friends at uni in Birmingham, I go there much more than Leicester and it is far better but I guess that is to be expected. Nottingham is also a fair bit better than Leicester despite being a similar size. So obviously if you fancied something different then those two cities aren't far away if you really wanted.

Any other questions on Leicester then just ask

Well I live in Cambridge which has not got a good nightlife at all so anything can be better really.

Is Leicester big then I had the impression that it is very small, especially the city center. Which I do like I am not really someone who wants to go to a big city for UNI my top 3 choices are quite on the mall scale, Leicester, UEA and York:smile:

When it comes to going out I don't just mean clubbing because while that is fun I always find it becomes boring overtime so is it possible you could give me more info on the music, events going on, maybe live shows and so on as well? :biggrin:

I guess it is quite subjective because friends of mine have told me Nottingham is terrible for nightlife and have to travel on the train to some of the bigger cities such as Manchester and Leeds because the nightlife there is much better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kingdoo
Well I live in Cambridge which has not got a good nightlife at all so anything can be better really.

Is Leicester big then I had the impression that it is very small, especially the city center. Which I do like I am not really someone who wants to go to a big city for UNI my top 3 choices are quite on the mall scale, Leicester, UEA and York:smile:

When it comes to going out I don't just mean clubbing because while that is fun I always find it becomes boring overtime so is it possible you could give me more info on the music, events going on, maybe live shows and so on as well? :biggrin:

I guess it is quite subjective because friends of mine have told me Nottingham is terrible for nightlife and have to travel on the train to some of the bigger cities such as Manchester and Leeds because the nightlife there is much better.

Yeah sorry I rushed it a bit last night without thinking.

Well I'm never sure what you actually class as the city
centre, I mean by day the centre is focused around the Highcross shopping centre and clock tower but you could argue it stretches up to the train station but yeah I guess it's not that big. It's bigger than York and Cambridge but I wouldn't know about Norwich cos I've never really been. In terms of population, Leicester is the 10th biggest city in the country and 2nd biggest in the midlands(I think) but I wouldn't say it feels like it. The main first year accomodation is in Oadby which is on the outskirts, about a 20 minute bus ride into the centre.

There's no big venues for the big acts so they all go to Nottingham and mainly Birmingham. You do have the O2 academy which is also the students union I do believe. Kasabian did do an intimate homecoming gig there and The Courteeners are there tomorrow:biggrin:
Then you have De Montfort Hall which has a range of things on. You get some music acts there, for example Paloma Faith is there tonight. You also get a few comedians and some shows as well.
The Curve theatre is the main place for shows in Leicester. It gets quite a few west end shows that are touring but also has smaller productions as well as a couple of comedians.
The Phoenix is a small cinema and theatre kind of thing. It's basically a place where arty people gather for arts stuff aha.

Leicester does have a decent smaller music scene in my opinion. That obviously depends on what music you like. Firebug is the best in my opinion, a decent bar anyway and can be really good when some acts are there. Foals and Frank Turner have been there in the past and it does get some decent national touring bands as well as local. It is mostly indie/alternative/rock. The Musician is similar and has a real mix of acts and genres. The Shed is good for upcoming acts mainly from around the midlands, Kasabian often played it when they were starting out. Basement Bar has more urban, hip-hop acts etc.
It all depends what music you like, there are plenty of small music venues in Leicester but I would say it is mainly geared up for indie/rock or acoustic single acts but there are definitely places for other kinds of music it's just I'm not entirely sure on them myself.

If you're in to sport then obviously you have the football and rugby. But Leicester also has a decent basketball team, a useless cricket team, an elite league speedway team and there's also the racecourse for horse racing

As for events, well the diwali festival is the biggest outside of India and is really good. Brings the whole city together with plenty to do and lots of food and a great atmosphere. Really worth going, especially as a group of students. Also the comedy festival every february/march is great. As for other events, I can't really think of many as most are summer things which students aren't around for. Glastonbudget festival would be right at the end of term but I can't think of anything more at the moment. There's always plenty going on in Leicestershire particularly from March onwards but I'm struggling on things that go on in the city itself, oops.
Reply 5
Original post by Askaud
Yeah sorry I rushed it a bit last night without thinking.

Well I'm never sure what you actually class as the city
centre, I mean by day the centre is focused around the Highcross shopping centre and clock tower but you could argue it stretches up to the train station but yeah I guess it's not that big. It's bigger than York and Cambridge but I wouldn't know about Norwich cos I've never really been. In terms of population, Leicester is the 10th biggest city in the country and 2nd biggest in the midlands(I think) but I wouldn't say it feels like it. The main first year accomodation is in Oadby which is on the outskirts, about a 20 minute bus ride into the centre.

There's no big venues for the big acts so they all go to Nottingham and mainly Birmingham. You do have the O2 academy which is also the students union I do believe. Kasabian did do an intimate homecoming gig there and The Courteeners are there tomorrow:biggrin:
Then you have De Montfort Hall which has a range of things on. You get some music acts there, for example Paloma Faith is there tonight. You also get a few comedians and some shows as well.
The Curve theatre is the main place for shows in Leicester. It gets quite a few west end shows that are touring but also has smaller productions as well as a couple of comedians.
The Phoenix is a small cinema and theatre kind of thing. It's basically a place where arty people gather for arts stuff aha.

Leicester does have a decent smaller music scene in my opinion. That obviously depends on what music you like. Firebug is the best in my opinion, a decent bar anyway and can be really good when some acts are there. Foals and Frank Turner have been there in the past and it does get some decent national touring bands as well as local. It is mostly indie/alternative/rock. The Musician is similar and has a real mix of acts and genres. The Shed is good for upcoming acts mainly from around the midlands, Kasabian often played it when they were starting out. Basement Bar has more urban, hip-hop acts etc.
It all depends what music you like, there are plenty of small music venues in Leicester but I would say it is mainly geared up for indie/rock or acoustic single acts but there are definitely places for other kinds of music it's just I'm not entirely sure on them myself.

If you're in to sport then obviously you have the football and rugby. But Leicester also has a decent basketball team, a useless cricket team, an elite league speedway team and there's also the racecourse for horse racing

As for events, well the diwali festival is the biggest outside of India and is really good. Brings the whole city together with plenty to do and lots of food and a great atmosphere. Really worth going, especially as a group of students. Also the comedy festival every february/march is great. As for other events, I can't really think of many as most are summer things which students aren't around for. Glastonbudget festival would be right at the end of term but I can't think of anything more at the moment. There's always plenty going on in Leicestershire particularly from March onwards but I'm struggling on things that go on in the city itself, oops.

Thanks for the reply. In total from this amazingly detailed post:biggrin: is that it is a great choice for me. Seems to me there are a lot of things to do but it is also a great city for relaxing as well since the bigger events are in larger cities.

I love the cultural vibe of the city when I visited and the city center as in the shops and things was nice. As for the student village it is in a really nice area and I loved it.

Because I am from Cambridge it would be weird for me to go to a massive city such as Manchester and Leeds because it would a difficult readjustment. Leicester felt like a bigger and more exciting Cambridge especially due to culture and everything.

The music scenes seem quite good and I like the smaller music events.

But thanks for the reply it has made me decide that it is not as naff as everyone makes it out to be.:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kingdoo
Thanks for the reply. In total from this amazingly detailed post:biggrin: is that it is a great choice for me. Seems to me there are a lot of things to do but it is also a great city for relaxing as well since the bigger events are in larger cities.

I love the cultural vibe of the city when I visited and the city center as in the shops and things was nice. As for the student village it is in a really nice area and I loved it.

Because I am from Cambridge it would be weird for me to go to a massive city such as Manchester and Leeds because it would a difficult readjustment. Leicester felt like a bigger and more exciting Cambridge especially due to culture and everything.

The music scenes seem quite good and I like the smaller music events.

But thanks for the reply it has made me decide that it is not as naff as everyone makes it out to be.:smile:

No it's definitely not naff, it does have a lot of plus points and tbh most of the bad points can be attributed to pretty much any more northern industrial city. There are regeneration projects going on all over the place and yeah it probably does need it but at least Leicester is trying to improve. I live in between Leicester and Coventry, Coventry is a true dump and it doesn't even appear to be trying to improve. Anyone that criticises Leicester too much clearly hasn't been to either Coventry or Derby for that matter.
And Leicestershire as a county is wonderful(maybe slightly biased), it's completely different to the city itself which is actually quite a nice contrast to have. A lot of the country is easily accessible in relatively short time which makes Leicester and Leicestershire attractive.

Well culture is definitely something which Leicester can deliver on. If you wanted to indulge in swathes of tradition british culture then York would be your place but Leicester has such a variety which is great. You can always find something a bit different in Leicester and they do try to get everyone to mix and share. I'm not going to pretend that all is rosy with ethnic diversity because it isn't but it does offer a few positives if you're open.

Leicester used to be a lot better than it is now for shops. The amount of quirky independents along high street and in the little arcades off some of the back streets were wonderful. There are still some around if you look but it did used to be better. The opening of Highcross and the economic downturn saw them diminish a bit which is a shame but there are definitely some still to be found.

Yeah the student village is in a nice area and the route into the centre is nice from that way. If you saw much of west Leicester like Braunstone and Beaumont Leys then you'd be less complimentary. In fact all the university stuff is in nice areas of the city, the campuses of both unis are in alright areas although they do border some less nice parts.

As I said, any questions then just ask. Have you got an offer from Leicester yet? It's interesting to see people looking to move to Leicester and seeming quite excited and positive by the prospect when at the same time I'm looking forward to getting away
Reply 7
Original post by kingdoo
Can a current student give a relatively detailed understanding of the night life and other activities available.

From what I can see is that Leicester is a very friendly place to live.

It is quite small which I like but I am a bit worried that this means that the nightlife is not good.

So what is it like?

I've lived in Leicester for a few months now working at the hospital (postgraduate medic here) and can't complain about nightlife so far. It's a friendly place with plenty of bars and clubs of all sorts. I guess it gets better if you experience the city nightlife 'outside the box' of uni student life once in a while :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending