The Student Room Group

Provisional/learner insurance policies that don't require the car is already insured?

Hey guys

pretty much I've only just realised that to take out a provisional policy with most insurers, it must be on a car that already has insurance (almost like the learner policy is an added extra from another company)

are there any companies that can provide me with a standalone insurance cover? I'm about to buy a car and it's uninsured, so it's throwing a spanner in my unprepared works lol thanks :smile:
Original post by kmcg97

are there any companies that can provide me with a standalone insurance cover? I'm about to buy a car and it's uninsured, so it's throwing a spanner in my unprepared works lol thanks :smile:

Hey, check out
-Marmalade
-4youngdrivers
insurance companies- they're aimed at young/new drivers so they may have something along the lines of what you need :smile:
Reply 2
Just get your parent/s insured on it and add yourself as a named, learner driver. Once you've passed, call them up and either make yourself the main driver, or cancel the policy and start a new policy with yourself as the main driver.
'learner insurance' came around because as the mainstream insurance market became increasingly targetted to demographics some insurers started to refuse or impose ridiculous additional premiums to add a learner .

In the old days before no win no fee, crash for cash, whipcash, and "Accident management , like for like ,innit " , you just added a learner for a fairly nominal extra premium and got hit for significant but ( still smaller than today's premiums) if and when you passed and still wanted to be on the family car ...

OP should insure the car themselves as main driver with likely supervising drivers as named drivers, unless the vehicle will geneuinely be used more than 50 % of the time by a parent DO NOT put them as main driver , this is 'fronting' and it is pure and simple fraud.
Reply 4
Original post by zippyRN
'learner insurance' came around because as the mainstream insurance market became increasingly targetted to demographics some insurers started to refuse or impose ridiculous additional premiums to add a learner .

In the old days before no win no fee, crash for cash, whipcash, and "Accident management , like for like ,innit " , you just added a learner for a fairly nominal extra premium and got hit for significant but ( still smaller than today's premiums) if and when you passed and still wanted to be on the family car ...

OP should insure the car themselves as main driver with likely supervising drivers as named drivers, unless the vehicle will geneuinely be used more than 50 % of the time by a parent DO NOT put them as main driver , this is 'fronting' and it is pure and simple fraud.

You've just totally ignored the OP's question. He said that he's finding it very hard to get learner insurance as the main driver. As a learner driver his parent will always be in the car with him anyway, and the parent is technically the one in charge of the vehicle (which is why they can't text or be drunk), so at worst it'll be 50/50, but then I imagine the parent might borrow it to run to the shops or something which would skew it towards the parent anyway. Once OP has passed, he then transfers to a proper policy in which he is the main driver. No problems!

Adding my girlfriend to my policy as a learner driver actually dropped the renewal price by about 20 quid :tongue:
Reply 5
Thanks all for your replies and advice! All sorted now. Test booked for next month!
Reply 6
I was insured with Collingwood when I was learning. It was really straightforward, you just have to be the registered owner of the car. It was about £100 a month but if you want it for longer it works out cheaper per week. Goodluck on your test!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by grx_
I was insured with Collingwood when I was learning. It was really straightforward, you just have to be the registered owner of the car. It was about £100 a month but if you want it for longer it works out cheaper per week. Goodluck on your test!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's who I'm with! Sorted thank you :smile:
Original post by Nuffles
You've just totally ignored the OP's question. He said that he's finding it very hard to get learner insurance as the main driver. As a learner driver his parent will always be in the car with him anyway, and the parent is technically the one in charge of the vehicle (which is why they can't text or be drunk), so at worst it'll be 50/50, but then I imagine the parent might borrow it to run to the shops or something which would skew it towards the parent anyway. Once OP has passed, he then transfers to a proper policy in which he is the main driver. No problems!

Adding my girlfriend to my policy as a learner driver actually dropped the renewal price by about 20 quid :tongue:

As a learner driver, the driver is in charge of the vehicle , not the supervisor.

A supervising driver can be any driver over 21 with 3 years full Licence for the class of vehicle in question

the OP should be insuring the vehicle on a 'proper policy' anyway, as it ;s not currently insured for another driver .

I hope you have nothing to do professionally with the management of driving, drivers and vehicles as your advice is utter rubbish. If you have anything to do with Insurance and hold any of the professional qualifications i'd be questioning the standards of the training provider.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by zippyRN
As a learner driver, the driver is in charge of the vehicle , not the supervisor.

A supervising driver can be any driver over 21 with 3 years full Licence for the class of vehicle in question

the OP should be insuring the vehicle on a 'proper policy' anyway, as it ;s not currently insured for another driver .

I hope you have nothing to do professionally with the management of driving, drivers and vehicles as your advice is utter rubbish. If you have anything to do with Insurance and hold any of the professional qualifications i'd be questioning the standards of the training provider.

Good thing I don't then! If you think my advice is rubbish, I reckon you'd be better off posting some companies that will insure OP as a learner driver and the policy holder.
Original post by Nuffles
Good thing I don't then! If you think my advice is rubbish, I reckon you'd be better off posting some companies that will insure OP as a learner driver and the policy holder.

This is what Brokers are for...

While getting a wiggle workout / talking to meerkats or robots is fine for the bog standard full licence holder with an unmodified vehicle , for everyone else there are brokers or the insurers that retain face to face staff in local offices ( like the NFU )

As i'm not a broker i have no particular interest or gain to make from doing the ringing round / emailing the OP can do ...
Reply 11
A weird anomaly is that the supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are actually going to drive the vehicle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending