The Student Room Group

Why are so many people really unclean?

This has been frustrating me a lot lately, and I'm not even a clean freak. Yes, I've left a little mess behind from time to time and I don't believe in these antibacterial "kills 99.9% of bacteria" chemicals, I believe if it's bad for them it's probably bad for us too. I don't worry about bacteria or other microbes unless there's a huge risk, like with raw chicken and salmonella.

But this is getting out of hand! It seems everyone I encounter nowadays is a complete Manky Franky. Even my own relatives who I grew up with, who always did the cleaning jobs, I am now finding that I have to redo everything they clean and I'm always jumping in ahead of them if something needs cleaned to avoid them doing a messy job. I don't mind doing it but they complain when I clean! How dare I, right?

And it seems everybody I know smells bad. Whether it's bad morning breath that has clearly not been treated with brushing, or greasy-smelling hair, or between-the-legs aromas, or clothes that smell like they've been worn for weeks, it turns my stomach. Bad enough are perfumes and deodorants used to mask it.

Kitchens and bathrooms? Something I avoid when I'm not at home as I find so many people don't know how to wash a simple plate or wash their gross crotch cheese/poo/blood off the toilet seat! The cutlery and plates are usually greasy to the touch or have hardened bits of food on them. If it was a mere smudge or two I could ignore it but it's usually a huge festering mess. It's bad enough when I find something dirty (as in, not even dipped in water) put back amongst all the clean stuff at home.

Are people just letting go nowadays? Is cleanliness not as important as it was 20 or 30 years ago? Or do I just happen to keep encountering the most disgusting people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

*stretch*
I know!! :sigh: It's so irritating. I think it's because a lot of people take their 'cleaning resources' (e.g. water, soap, deodorant etc.) for granted. If you have these things why not use them properly or actually use them? I think it's pretty selfish as a lot of people don't have these resources and would be so much more grateful if they had them.
+ laziness.

:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
This has been frustrating me a lot lately, and I'm not even a clean freak. Yes, I've left a little mess behind from time to time and I don't believe in these antibacterial "kills 99.9% of bacteria" chemicals, I believe if it's bad for them it's probably bad for us too. I don't worry about bacteria or other microbes unless there's a huge risk, like with raw chicken and salmonella.

But this is getting out of hand! It seems everyone I encounter nowadays is a complete Manky Franky. Even my own relatives who I grew up with, who always did the cleaning jobs, I am now finding that I have to redo everything they clean and I'm always jumping in ahead of them if something needs cleaned to avoid them doing a messy job. I don't mind doing it but they complain when I clean! How dare I, right?

And it seems everybody I know smells bad. Whether it's bad morning breath that has clearly not been treated with brushing, or greasy-smelling hair, or between-the-legs aromas, or clothes that smell like they've been worn for weeks, it turns my stomach. Bad enough are perfumes and deodorants used to mask it.

Kitchens and bathrooms? Something I avoid when I'm not at home as I find so many people don't know how to wash a simple plate or wash their gross crotch cheese/poo/blood off the toilet seat!
The cutlery and plates are usually greasy to the touch or have hardened bits of food on them. If it was a mere smudge or two I could ignore it but it's usually a huge festering mess. It's bad enough when I find something dirty (as in, not even dipped in water) put back amongst all the clean stuff at home.

Are people just letting go nowadays? Is cleanliness not as important as it was 20 or 30 years ago? Or do I just happen to keep encountering the most disgusting people?

ermm thanks for that... i was just enjoying my coffee until i started reading :s-smilie::mad:
Reply 5
Original post by karmacrunch
I know!! :sigh: It's so irritating. I think it's because a lot of people take their 'cleaning resources' (e.g. water, soap, deodorant etc.) for granted. If you have these things why not use them properly or actually use them? I think it's pretty selfish as a lot of people don't have these resources and would be so much more grateful if they had them.
+ laziness.

:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So should we be sending soap baskets to Africa?:lol:
the thing is lots of people lead busy lives and forget, or sore people are allergic to soaps(srs), the main problem here is that people are too intolerant of others.
Life is too short to clean properly. Just wash it under the tap and hope for the best.
Reply 7
Original post by Aph
the thing is lots of people lead busy lives and forget, or sore people are allergic to soaps(srs), the main problem here is that people are too intolerant of others.

Maybe start with England first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph

I don't get the relevance of the first sentence... :erm:

Stop trying to justify being unclean. If you have the resources you should use it. I can understand people who don't have resources or those with skin problems but not washing/cleaning/etc. is pretty disgusting to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Stop trying to justify being unclean. If you have the resources you should use it. I can understand people who don't have resources or those with skin problems but not washing/cleaning/etc. is pretty disgusting to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sure people in Africa have soap.. the poster clearly is a victim of watching red cross charity adverts and thinking everyone in the continent of Africa lives in mud huts and dying of starvation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Im sure people in Africa have soap.. the poster clearly is a victim of watching red cross charity adverts and thinking everyone in the continent of Africa lives in mud huts and dying of starvation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I was thinking (about the comment). Thank you. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get me wrong I'm just talking about a little effort to not be living in filth. Even if all you have is water. I know people have medical conditions, I tend to understand it if they're elderly (since age can make moving around difficult and painful it stands to reason cleaning could be difficult and painful also) or have some other difficulty that would make everyday tasks a challenge. But like... putting back a very clearly used and dirty dish back in the cupboard, still encrusted with the remains of food, or only dipping it into some cold water without even bothering to try and wipe the grease and stuff off. Or wearing the same clothes for 3 weeks in a row without having the excuse of poverty or homelessness. I'm talking about that level of filth by perfectly capable people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile
you said there are many people who cant afford soap but would be grateful for some.
But you honestly xant tell just by looking, and society is really judgemental so yes its not nice but there us often a reason which you wont see.

Original post by Starown
Then wake up early enough in the morning? Find a soap/body wash that you aren't allergic to? There really is no excuse short of being on the mental health illness spectrum.

Well the majority of people can't afford to stay clean and eat.
Original post by MrMango
Maybe start with England first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Peasants generally are filthy; I've heard they only bathe once a year.
I haven't noticed. Must have clean friends... Or maybe I'm also a dirty slob..
Its true. How many people clean every inch of their body? Most people do the armpit crotch rinse repeat and dry. Thats not how you wash
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
*stretch*

*pandiculate*
I feel ya.
I know I'm a messy person, but I keep it to my bedroom and I don't ask for much...but I do expect people to clear away their cooking stuff and empty packets off the sides, and to wipe up their mess rather than leaving it to go crusty on the worktop or burn into the hob for me to clean later.

I also wish people knew how to wipe their own pee of the toilet seat, so that my first job in the morning isn't having to bleach the loo just so I can use it.

And don't get me started on hand washing...if you go to the loo, you wash your hands! one guy I live with goes to pee with the door wide open (Our bathroom is off the kitchen), and then doesn't wash his hands before proceeding to touch all the light switches and the kettle etc. EW.

On the plus side, I haven't been ill in nearly a year so it must be doing something for my immunity.
Some people don't even use a lota :nope:
Original post by phaedron
Its true. How many people clean every inch of their body? Most people do the armpit crotch rinse repeat and dry. Thats not how you wash

I'm sure this isn't true. :confused: I clean every inch of me every morning in the shower, and then sometimes I'll have a second shower in the evening. I'm also pretty sure (bar one person) all 8 people in my house clean this way too considering they often smell very clean and nice.

Quick Reply

Latest