The Student Room Group

Doing the GDL with a low 2.1 in psychology

Hello I have been thinking about doing a graduate diploma in law to convert my psychology degree (low 2.1 grade) as i have become very interested in law over the last year, reading a lot and looking into how to get into the profession. I have seen how competitive it is and was looking for advice as how having a low 2.1 from a mediocre university will really effect my chances at training contracts etc in the future. I know i need to get a lot of work experience also, but was wondering if i managed a high grade in a GDL course would this (along with work experience) make me a more desirable candidate? Has anyone had experience in trying this with a low 2.1? Also i finished my degree 3 years ago, will this effect anything? Thanks for any advice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just curious, but what have you done since graduating 3 years ago?
Original post by hellodave5
Just curious, but what have you done since graduating 3 years ago?

I have volunteered and then worked (paid) as a teaching assistant at a special needs school. I have worked for a media company also as an administrator. no legal experience though.
Original post by Petetothebeat
Hello I have been thinking about doing a graduate diploma in law to convert my psychology degree (low 2.1 grade) as i have become very interested in law over the last year, reading a lot and looking into how to get into the profession. I have seen how competitive it is and was looking for advice as how having a low 2.1 from a mediocre university will really effect my chances at training contracts etc in the future. I know i need to get a lot of work experience also, but was wondering if i managed a high grade in a GDL course would this (along with work experience) make me a more desirable candidate? Has anyone had experience in trying this with a low 2.1? Also i finished my degree 3 years ago, will this effect anything? Thanks for any advice.

It depends on many factors.

What kind of firm do you think you would want to work for? London-based or regional? Are you interested in commercial law or another area of practice?

A low-2.1 won't kill you in the crib, and neither will your university necessarily. If you could score well on the GDL, this would probably help persuade law firms as to your academic merit in any case. Once you have a 2.1 (and preferably ABB+ at A-level) your extra-curricular achievements at university and the work you have done since graduating become important to consider. Do these demonstrate that you have the types of skills law firms look for?

I wouldn't worry about your age, if that's what you mean by your last sentence. If you have been working since graduation, you may have had a lot of opportunities to demonstrate your skills and mettle in the working environment. These may give you an advantage over other applicants, many of whom will never have spent longer than two weeks in an office.
Original post by TurboCretin
It depends on many factors.

What kind of firm do you think you would want to work for? London-based or regional? Are you interested in commercial law or another area of practice?

A low-2.1 won't kill you in the crib, and neither will your university necessarily. If you could score well on the GDL, this would probably help persuade law firms as to your academic merit in any case. Once you have a 2.1 (and preferably ABB+ at A-level) your extra-curricular achievements at university and the work you have done since graduating become important to consider. Do these demonstrate that you have the types of skills law firms look for?

I wouldn't worry about your age, if that's what you mean by your last sentence. If you have been working since graduation, you may have had a lot of opportunities to demonstrate your skills and mettle in the working environment. These may give you an advantage over other applicants, many of whom will never have spent longer than two weeks in an office.

Thanks i would be able to work either at a london based firm or regional due to my rather handy living situation just outside london, I would be willing to work for either as I think it will be difficult enough getting one offer of work, i find criminal litigation the most interesting i'd say, but imagine its very hard to become a criminal practitioner, I am willing to put in the hours to gain experience but was just wondering whether my lackluster 2.1 would be the nail in the coffin so thanks for the info!
Thanks i would be able to work either at a london based firm or regional due to my rather handy living situation just outside london, I would be willing to work for either as I think it will be difficult enough getting one offer of work, i find criminal litigation the most interesting i'd say, but imagine its very hard to become a criminal practitioner, I am willing to put in the hours to gain experience but was just wondering whether my lackluster 2.1 would be the nail in the coffin so thanks for the info!

As a general rule, London firms are more competitive (both in terms of applications per place and salary). Regional firms often have a certain preference for grads of nearby universities.

It will be tough to break into law - it is for practically everyone - but based on the info you've given I don't see any reason why you should rule yourself out at this stage.
Original post by TurboCretin
As a general rule, London firms are more competitive (both in terms of applications per place and salary). Regional firms often have a certain preference for grads of nearby universities.

It will be tough to break into law - it is for practically everyone - but based on the info you've given I don't see any reason why you should rule yourself out at this stage.

ok thanks. my understanding is that you apply for training contracts whilst you complete your GDL (or respective law degree), and that some training contracts mean funding for your LPC (or bptc) whereas some don't, but both these scenarios are better than completing your LPC with no contract whatsoever, ie theres high risk of no job plus financial burden with no form of training contract. Is that correct? Also will it be much easier to get a non funding training contract than one that funds?
ok thanks. my understanding is that you apply for training contracts whilst you complete your GDL (or respective law degree), and that some training contracts mean funding for your LPC (or bptc) whereas some don't, but both these scenarios are better than completing your LPC with no contract whatsoever, ie theres high risk of no job plus financial burden with no form of training contract. Is that correct? Also will it be much easier to get a non funding training contract than one that funds?

Some firms will even fund both GDL and LPC. I'm only familiar with commercial firms; I'm not sure if criminal firms would offer the same thing so you should look into what the biggest and most profitable criminal firms will fund.

Law firms dish out TCs two years in advance, by default (though they may allow you to start earlier if they have business need for it). This means that it is possible to secure a TC then do a funded GDL and LPC before starting your TC.

The LPC is a large investment if you don't have a TC, for sure. However, you'll struggle to get paralegal experience (for example) without the LPC as so many TC-less law grads have it now. That means that if you do the GDL and end up with no TC, you'll be lucky to get much use out of your GDL without also doing the LPC. That potential limbo is definitely worth considering.

The firms that fund LPCs tend to be bigger, more profitable, pay better salaries and do higher-end work, so to that extent they are likely to be more competitive as a general rule.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending