The Student Room Group

Not wanting to take a gap year for fear of being left behind...

For a long time, I was stuck between medicine and dentistry. For the few months before UCAS, I was convinced I preferred dentistry, but a few days after sending off my application it suddenly hit me that I would have rather chosen medicine. I went through a really hard time because I've been preparing and looking to UCAS since I was about 14! I have very good reasons for favouring medicine now (and they're not the usual "ew mouths" or "teeth are boring" comments). It thus seems wise to take a gap year. Now I know this sounds ridiculous, but I've always been a top student and hate the connotations of failure with a gap year: people who didn't get offers for university, people who missed their conditions, people who want to resit exams. I also hate the thought that I would be a year behind all of my friends and be spending university with the year younger than me - it is just my school, but I really like my year-group and wouldn't enjoy being in the year below nearly as much. I hear I would always be looking to the year older and wondering what things would be like if I had just made the right choice initially. Is there a way I can reconcile my problems? Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Literally don't worry at all about the Now I know this sounds ridiculous, but I've always been a top student and hate the connotations of failure with a gap year: people who didn't get offers for university, people who missed their conditions, people who want to resit exams.

First of all, you know yourself (and others would too) that you didn't 'fail' on any of those accounts, so it's different. Secondly, doing a course you do not want to do can obviously lead to poorer results and you may also regret not going for the preferred option which can be viewed as a failure in itself.

Also, let me just remind you that failure is necessary for success; it puts you in the right path. Your failure in deciding the correct course has had little consequence as a failure and more as a success, partly because you've caught it early!

I also hate the thought that I would be a year behind all of my friends and be spending university with the year younger than me - it is just my school, but I really like my year-group and wouldn't enjoy being in the year below nearly as much. I hear I would always be looking to the year older and wondering what things would be like if I had just made the right choice initially.

Don't worry about that at all, there are plenty of people at uni with all sorts of circumstances. You'll probably find people in a similar position to yourself, yet there won't be anything stopping you befriending those who happen to be just one year younger than you. After reach a certain maturity, one year of age is nothing.

That is a choice you'll have to make, you probably always look in life to see what you could have done differently. It's certainly not always a bad thing to go against your dream/preferred option of life as life is hardly ideal.
Reply 2
Now I know this sounds ridiculous, but I've always been a top student and hate the connotations of failure with a gap year: people who didn't get offers for university, people who missed their conditions, people who want to resit exams. Posted from TSR Mobile

This does sound ridiculous. I know students who've gone to top universities after taking a gap year. In such a competitive field like Medicine, tons of work experience is essential and a gap year provides you with the perfect opportunity for this. Travelling abroad etc. I was told by my teacher, most people that take advantage of this gap year look more favourable to universities for courses such as Medicine.
Original post by HAnwar
This does sound ridiculous. I know students who've gone to top universities after taking a gap year. In such a competitive field like Medicine, tons of work experience is essential and a gap year provides you with the perfect opportunity for this. Travelling abroad etc. I was told by my teacher, most people that take advantage of this gap year look more favourable to universities for courses such as Medicine.

Tonnes of work experience for medicine is not essential. It is the learning experience from those placements that matters. I already have sufficient shadowing and volunteering; I have a personal statement written for medicine already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RVNmax
First of all, you know yourself (and others would too) that you didn't 'fail' on any of those accounts, so it's different. Secondly, doing a course you do not want to do can obviously lead to poorer results and you may also regret not going for the preferred option which can be viewed as a failure in itself.

Also, let me just remind you that failure is necessary for success; it puts you in the right path. Your failure in deciding the correct course has had little consequence as a failure and more as a success, partly because you've caught it early!

Don't worry about that at all, there are plenty of people at uni with all sorts of circumstances. You'll probably find people in a similar position to yourself, yet there won't be anything stopping you befriending those who happen to be just one year younger than you. After reach a certain maturity, one year of age is nothing.

That is a choice you'll have to make, you probably always look in life to see what you could have done differently. It's certainly not always a bad thing to go against your dream/preferred option of life as life is hardly ideal.

This was really helpful advice! I have worked out that I will only be happy taking a gap year if I spend it somewhere amazing, doing something that I'll have been really glad to experience. That way, I won't feel any regret starting university a year later because I'll have realised all of the fun I had. I'm also trying to come to a compromise by only applying to five year courses next year, consoling myself with the fact that I'll graduate at the same time as friends on six year courses. :tongue:

I suppose it's important just to think of the many years I'll be in work and seize this opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This was really helpful advice! I have worked out that I will only be happy taking a gap year if I spend it somewhere amazing, doing something that I'll have been really glad to experience. That way, I won't feel any regret starting university a year later because I'll have realised all of the fun I had. I'm also trying to come to a compromise by only applying to five year courses next year, consoling myself with the fact that I'll graduate at the same time as friends on six year courses. :tongue:

I suppose it's important just to think of the many years I'll be in work and seize this opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about all your school friends and when they graduate - just do your own thing! Having done a gap year then chosen a four year course, I'll graduate two years after my friends, and potentially the same year as my younger brother! However, all my friends are absolutely terrified of graduating and having to get a proper job etc, so I'm glad I have that bit more time...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was forced to take a year out of uni through a period of very serious illness. At the time I hated the thought I'd be in the year below and was worried I wouldn't fit in. Now I've restarted the course, Ive already made some great friends and I pretty much forget I'm a year older. A surprising amount of people have also done a gap year or two, so there's people my age if not older also on my course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
This was really helpful advice! I have worked out that I will only be happy taking a gap year if I spend it somewhere amazing, doing something that I'll have been really glad to experience. That way, I won't feel any regret starting university a year later because I'll have realised all of the fun I had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad I could help you.
I definitely agree with those thoughts. A gap year is actually something I would advise someone to consider simply for experience.

You may not get another chance for a while to just do what you want, as at this point it has negligible effect effect on your career/family aspirations.

I'm also trying to come to a compromise by only applying to five year courses next year, consoling myself with the fact that I'll graduate at the same time as friends on six year courses. :tongue:

I'm not sure how the 5/6 years course difference comes about so don't want to comment too much - just a thought - wouldn't 5 year courses be more competitive to get onto as it's 'accelerated' or is it akin to doing a BSc instead of MEng/integrated masters? (I don't need an answer, but rather just making sure you've taken everything into consideration.)

Either way, don't worry about that too much I say. After a hectic 8yrs (A levels + uni) your friends might want a break anyway. Don't pick the 5 yr course because of your uber-competitiveness, but of course it's good to take the positives out of it, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Good luck!
Dude you have five highers graded A, it's pretty obvious you didn't need to do any resits or miss any offers
I'm not being funny. But I find it so weird when people don't want to take gap years and reapply out of fear of being left behind their other friends.

This is your degree education we are talking about here. Have some perspective. This is your career, your next path in life. You're willing to jeapordise doing a career you feel is right for you because you don't want the ' negative connotations of a gap year', and to feel left behind your friends.

That's quite ridiculous when you're talking your life time career here. Get your priorities sorted out. Imagine in a few years time, you'd be unhappy in a career you regret pursuing, have little job satisfaction, but hey! At least you got to go to uni that one year sooner than if you pursued the career you actually wanted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Trust me, no one cares that you're taking a gap year
Original post by Butterfly9595
Don't worry about all your school friends and when they graduate - just do your own thing! Having done a gap year then chosen a four year course, I'll graduate two years after my friends, and potentially the same year as my younger brother! However, all my friends are absolutely terrified of graduating and having to get a proper job etc, so I'm glad I have that bit more time...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a great point! Having about 45 years of work ahead of me, I should really relish my youth :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RVNmax
I'm glad I could help you.
I definitely agree with those thoughts. A gap year is actually something I would advise someone to consider simply for experience.

You may not get another chance for a while to just do what you want, as at this point it has negligible effect effect on your career/family aspirations.

I'm not sure how the 5/6 years course difference comes about so don't want to comment too much - just a thought - wouldn't 5 year courses be more competitive to get onto as it's 'accelerated' or is it akin to doing a BSc instead of MEng/integrated masters? (I don't need an answer, but rather just making sure you've taken everything into consideration.)

Either way, don't worry about that too much I say. After a hectic 8yrs (A levels + uni) your friends might want a break anyway. Don't pick the 5 yr course because of your uber-competitiveness, but of course it's good to take the positives out of it, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Good luck!

5 years for MB ChB, and 6 years for the MB ChB and BSc (compulsory intercalation). I never wanted to do a science degree in addition to medicine at first anyway, but it just puts my gap year in perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TolerantBeing
I'm not being funny. But I find it so weird when people don't want to take gap years and reapply out of fear of being left behind their other friends.

This is your degree education we are talking about here. Have some perspective. This is your career, your next path in life. You're willing to jeapordise doing a career you feel is right for you because you don't want the ' negative connotations of a gap year', and to feel left behind your friends.

That's quite ridiculous when you're talking your life time career here. Get your priorities sorted out. Imagine in a few years time, you'd be unhappy in a career you regret pursuing, have little job satisfaction, but hey! At least you got to go to uni that one year sooner than if you pursued the career you actually wanted.

Hence why I said that I absolutely will not go down a career choice simply to go to university straight after school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I know this sounds ridiculous, but I've always been a top student and hate the connotations of failure with a gap year: people who didn't get offers for university, people who missed their conditions, people who want to resit exams. I also hate the thought that I would be a year behind all of my friends and be spending university with the year younger than me - it is just my school, but I really like my year-group and wouldn't enjoy being in the year below nearly as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really do understand where your coming from, having been through this whole dilemma myself. Although my story is slightly different, I applied to dentistry last year was absolutely positive that that was what I wanted to do and ended up receiving two offers! Which I was over the moon about, when results day came I found out that I had missed my offer by only 1% in essence getting AAB, I was absolutely gutted. I don't even think gutted can describe how demoralising the whole situation was.

So I had to make the decision .. whether to go to take a gap year, or go to Warwick to study biomedical science (they gave me an offer through clearing) at the beginning I was so against taking a gap year for all the reasons you listed especially the negative stigma about retaking and everyone just basically looking at me as a failure. I almost convinced myself that going to Warwick irregardless of studying a course that I didn't want to do was going to be the best option, mainly because of the 'prestige' lol.

It wasn't until about one week before the term was going to start that I decided to just try again and take a gap year, I knew that dentistry was the career I wanted and I wasn't going to let 1% take that away. I realised that I was just allowing my pride to get to me, which I think your allowing to rule you too. What I'm trying to say is, at the end of the day it's your life and your career, you know what your capable of achieving . Let people think what they want to think, they won't be the ones who have to reap the future consequences. Don't just go to university and do a course you'll be unhappy with, a year really isn't that long trust me. Hopefully next year I can tell you that my choice paid off! & I hope whatever choice you decide to make does too, just really make sure you choose wisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest