The Student Room Group

Deloitte 2015 graduate first round interview

Just found out I have a Deloitte face-to-face interview coming up next month for Risk Consulting (sustainability),after 3 months being put on hold. The process will involve an unseen case study followed by the interview. Any advice from anyone that has been through this already would be appreciated!
Reply 2

Thanks, I've had a quick read through. I'm not too woried about the competency side of things, more so on what the case study will entail as I think it's a new addition this year (probably to make up for a lack of e-tray exercise in the online stages)
Basically at the beginning you are taken to a seperate room to read the case study. Then once your half an hour reading is finished you will be told to wait in the common area for your interviewer to come and take you for your interview. The first 25-35 minutes is based on the case study. he/she will ask questions, ask you to do some calculations, ask for your specific recommendation. The good thing is that unlike a-levels or gcse where most of the concepts are theoritical, here you can literally use real world situations for your justifications. Apart from that it's nothing difficult really. In fact most of it is literally using common sense to pick out. One word of advice i would give is that make sure you write down some numbers such as sales declined by x% cost went up by y% etc not just decreased or increased. They provide a notepad for you to take notes which you can then take with you to the interview room. I have been put forward for the partner interview so iam not sure if i can give much details about the case study as its supposed to be unseen but make sure you read everything in the hand out. You have half an hour reading time which is ample enough for you to gather every information you require. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck
Reply 4
Original post by ijlalhassan
Basically at the beginning you are taken to a seperate room to read the case study. Then once your half an hour reading is finished you will be told to wait in the common area for your interviewer to come and take you for your interview. The first 25-35 minutes is based on the case study. he/she will ask questions, ask you to do some calculations, ask for your specific recommendation. The good thing is that unlike a-levels or gcse where most of the concepts are theoritical, here you can literally use real world situations for your justifications. Apart from that it's nothing difficult really. In fact most of it is literally using common sense to pick out. One word of advice i would give is that make sure you write down some numbers such as sales declined by x% cost went up by y% etc not just decreased or increased. They provide a notepad for you to take notes which you can then take with you to the interview room. I have been put forward for the partner interview so iam not sure if i can give much details about the case study as its supposed to be unseen but make sure you read everything in the hand out. You have half an hour reading time which is ample enough for you to gather every information you require. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck

Thanks very much for your help and well done on getting through to the last stage! Got my fingers crossed for you on that. What stream did you apply to? Would you say there is anything I can do beforehand to prepare for ther case-study? I feel like there isn't really anything I can do aside from learning a bit more about Deloitte... And did the competency part focus mainly on a major project or did they test you on all of their other competencies? Sorry for the questions, and well done on getting through!
Reply 5
You could whip out a business book and look at case study after case study so as to increase your performance.
Original post by ijlalhassan

Hi there! Well done on getting through to partner interview! :biggrin: When did you do the interview and how long did you wait until you were notified about the partner interview? I just had mine and am wondering how long it actually takes?

Good luck with the next round!
Reply 7
Original post by vilefor
Thanks very much for your help and well done on getting through to the last stage! Got my fingers crossed for you on that. What stream did you apply to? Would you say there is anything I can do beforehand to prepare for ther case-study? I feel like there isn't really anything I can do aside from learning a bit more about Deloitte... And did the competency part focus mainly on a major project or did they test you on all of their other competencies? Sorry for the questions, and well done on getting through!

I got through this interview as well for tax... There's not much you can do to prepare for the case study. Just make sure you at least skim read ALL the information (including appendices) and make notes quickly. As previously mentioned do calculations in advance as well so you have some numbers to go on; they give you a calculator. The competency part is entirely based on your project so make sure your project covers every single competency. It was actually a really nice interview compared to most others, very free flowing, not just a list of questions they ask you. And as you said brush up on Deloitte and your service line, in particular why Deloitte over the other 3. Good luck!
To be honest there is literally nothing you can do to prepare for the case study in advance-just make sure you have some business sense in you and thats what they are looking for because since candidates from all backgrounds apply so they dont expect you to have a MBA mind but they do want you to have some business like approach and knowledge. As long as you have those, You would be completely fine. The case study is relatively easy-I would say the easiest one I have faced yet. I applied for the Audit service line. As of the competency part, they have stopped doing the usual of give me an example of this and that time. Instead they present you with four big competency style questions and ask you to choose one amongst them and talk it through in detail. I can remember two which were "a project/hobby/assessment etc which you have found most challenging" or "An achievement you are really proud of". The good thing is that you can literally talk through anything. Luckily I had one in mind which kind of covered both-I talked about my passion to the learn the piano. The difficult bit is that they want you to go into proper details like what lead to the passion, what did you do beforehand, any critisism or challenges you faced, how did you overcome them, how you kept yourself motivated, why do you think you are so proud of it, if you were to do it the second how would you approach it differently etc etc etc. One more advice I would give is that for the usual questions of why deloitte why Risk, actually write down your answers and learn them by heart like a test that way you wont be stuck during the interview. Retrospectively it was no where near as daunting and nervous as I had anticipated it to be. Just be professional, have a business sense, think about your competencies and just remain calm as if you belong there(a little cliche but it works).
Original post by niccypiccy
Hi there! Well done on getting through to partner interview! :biggrin: When did you do the interview and how long did you wait until you were notified about the partner interview? I just had mine and am wondering how long it actually takes?

Good luck with the next round!

What did you apply for? I have an assessment day for a consulting internship coming up and am very nervous about the case study! Any tips? Thanks :smile: xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending