The Student Room Group

Expected grades advice

Just looking for a bit of advice. After some hiccups last Christmas my grades are currently hovering around the high 2:2/ low 2:1 mark. Getting a 2:1 overall is perfectly possible, especially since my grades this semester have been 60 and 73 so far in the two assignments I've had handed back and I need a 63 or so average, but it isn't a sure thing.

My question is, when I'm applying for Jobs/Graduate Schemes would it be better to be optimistic and state my expected grade as a 2:1, or should I play it safe and say 2:2? Obviously a 2:1 looks better on the application, but how likely am I to go through the application process, get an offer but then lose the offer if I do fall just short of a 2:1 in the end?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AlexRS
Just looking for a bit of advice. After some hiccups last Christmas my grades are currently hovering around the high 2:2/ low 2:1 mark. Getting a 2:1 overall is perfectly possible, especially since my grades this semester have been 60 and 73 so far in the two assignments I've had handed back and I need a 63 or so average, but it isn't a sure thing.

My question is, when I'm applying for Jobs/Graduate Schemes would it be better to be optimistic and state my expected grade as a 2:1, or should I play it safe and say 2:2? Obviously a 2:1 looks better on the application, but how likely am I to go through the application process, get an offer but then lose the offer if I do fall just short of a 2:1 in the end?

Put down a predicted 2:1. Your grades this semester have averaged a 2:1, with you achieving some firsts too, it looks like. Therefore, it's not at all outlandish to predict yourself a 2:1.

In fact, if you put down a predicted 2:2, you're quite likely to rule yourself out of a large amount of graduate schemes anyway. And to be honest, if you're good enough to get through the graduate scheme recruitment processes and be given an offer, you're probably good enough to get an ordinary job should it come to the situation you describe; although I think that's quite unlikely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending