The Student Room Group

choosing a level subjects for law

hello every1. basically i have to choose me alevels in november and i'm confused about my subject choices. to help me study law i have decided to do choose history, eng lit, psychology and politics.

-what are these subjects like once you actually start to study them?
-what the exam questions are like?
-how useful for law?
-psychology /good & bad points
-history good and bad p
politics good/bad points
eng lit good and bad points
Reply 1
:eek: I am doing them all

They are all essay based and will be very useful for a law degree.
Reply 2
It doesn't matter what subjects you do for law, but eng lit is very useful since it teaches you good skills which will help you in a law degree. It was also my fave A level to do :smile:

History is good aswell, depends on what modules you do though. As for politics, I hated A2 politics, I nearly had a nervous breakdown the night before I did modules 4 and 5. For A2 there is a huge amount of material to learn and I found it quite hard. AS politics is very easy though.

All the questions are generally essay based for these 3 subjects. The Eng Lit module 6 is probably what you have to look out for most due to the unseen material.

Got no experience with psychology though
Reply 3
a_t
It doesn't matter what subjects you do for law, but eng lit is very useful since it teaches you good skills which will help you in a law degree. It was also my fave A level to do :smile:

It does slightly matter whish A-Levels you take. If you take soft A-Levels a lot af unis will use that as an excuse not to offer

History is good aswell, depends on what modules you do though. As for politics, I hated A2 politics, I nearly had a nervous breakdown the night before I did modules 4 and 5. For A2 there is a huge amount of material to learn and I found it quite hard. AS politics is very easy though.

If you find a large workload hard, you are in for a rough time on your LLB and your professional courses post-grad (assuming you want to enter the profession)

All the questions are generally essay based for these 3 subjects. The Eng Lit module 6 is probably what you have to look out for most due to the unseen material.

I'm not certain what this obsession with essay subjects is. Some non-essay subjects will teach you logical reasoning and academic ability anyway.
a_t

Nervous breakdown??? is it really that bad? wat happened:s: :s: :s:
Reply 5
Ethereal
If you find a large workload hard, you are in for a rough time on your LLB and your professional courses post-grad (assuming you want to enter the profession)

I'm not certain what this obsession with essay subjects is. Some non-essay subjects will teach you logical reasoning and academic ability anyway.

I don't have an obsession with essay based subjects, he just asked what the subjects were like and I told him, they are essay based. All I did was state fact.

And everyone finds large workloads difficult to deal with, how could you not? I got A's in both modules so I managed to deal with it in the end anyway.
Reply 6
Threelions
Nervous breakdown??? is it really that bad? wat happened:s: :s: :s:

I started panicking and punching the wall lol. Got through it in the end after a cold shower though
Reply 7
nearly had a nervous breakdown is not coping. Degree workload makes A-Level (and I'm talking about the old system therefore terminal exams can examine you on anything in the past 2 years proper a-levels) look easy
Reply 8
Ethereal
nearly had a nervous breakdown is not coping. Degree workload makes A-Level (and I'm talking about the old system therefore terminal exams can examine you on anything in the past 2 years proper a-levels) look easy
I'm definitely finding the workload much greater at university. So much reading to do. Have to read the equivalent of 200 pages on World Legal Orders for a tutorial on Tuesday. There's a similar amount of reading for all my other subjects as well. And we're only in the first few weeks. It's not so bad when it's on something interesting but having to read page after page on the importance of Globalism and Legal Pluralism gets a bit tiring.
Globalization is a fascinating and one of the most important current legal debates, especially given the strength of multi-national corporations and the tendency of the world for many people to operate globally, and the breaking down of many borders through FTAs etc, I suggest you find it interesting soon :wink:.
Reply 10
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Globalization is a fascinating and one of the most important current legal debates, especially given the strength of multi-national corporations and the tendency of the world for many people to operate globally, and the breaking down of many borders through FTAs etc, I suggest you find it interesting soon :wink:.
Wait, I didn't mean Globalisation, I meant Post-Modernism, Metaphysics and Epistemology. I'm sure they're perfectly interesting if written about in the correct way.
Reply 11
Try to take at least two traditional subjects. English Lit and History are very good examples of this. Politics would also make a good third option.

Law is inanely competitive as it is, don't make your life harder by having to put that extra effort in to 'prove' yourself because you winded up blindly choosing 'soft' options. It really is a big hindrance. *sigh*

Et finalement, good luck. :wink:
Reply 12
Ethereal

I can see your obvious concern for me, don't you worry, I never fail to get the results I need

Latest

Trending

Trending