The Student Room Group

For the A levels out there: Do you work hard? What motivates you?

What is the one thing that makes you work hard?
What pushes you forward? What/Who is your focus that makes you want to achieve succeed?
Family?
Competition with classmates?
Friends support?
Original post by miibay
What pushes you forward? What/Who is your focus that makes you want to achieve succeed?
Family?
Friends support?

Well.... My motivation is rather bizarre, I watch documentaries such as 'Skint' and 'Benefits Britain' and realise hard work will prevent me ending up like them.
Competition. Achieved highest UMS score in all my classes.
I don't think I work that hard, but I intend to anyway. I'm doing my A2 Levels this year to complete my exams in summer. I think I'm going to start working *proper* hard from January up until my first exam which is in May. My motivation this year is my university place. I received all my offers which honest to God has really motivated me to put in the extra effort for my revision as I don't want to miss out on going to university.
(edited 9 years ago)
This may be weird but I just think of this statement:

'Suffer now, then live the rest of your life as a champion'.

Something else which motivates me is thinking about reactions me and family get after I open results on results day.
Reply 5
I want to get into Veterinary Medicine and it's my grades that will ruin my application, lol.
Reply 6
You come to the point where you realise that you are almost an adult. It's time to ask what you want in life and how you are going to get it. That's what keeps my candle burnin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What makes me work hard is the thought of having more freedom to choose whichever university I want to go to because of good grades. I also did pretty well in my GCSEs due to putting in the extra work, it paid off, and I was absolutely chuffed on results day, so I'd love that reaction again and with A-levels I feel it's more important. That and the fact I'm a naturally anxious person and stress out over the tiniest of things.
Doing AS at the moment and I'd say I've worked pretty hard. I was absolutely exhausted this last week of term and ended up getting ill so I might have overdone it but I have a few things that motivate me:

Firstly, I know a lot of people doing A2 now who were devastated and shocked on AS results day bc they didn't do as well as expected. I really really don't want this to happen to me :biggrin:

Secondly I want to get as high grades as possible so I stand a good chance at getting into medical school bc we all know how bloody competitive it is now!

And thirdly, I want to set a good example to my three little brothers, showing them how a good work ethic pays off. One of my brothers is 14 and the least motivated person I know so I'm hoping if he sees me succeed it'll encourage him to do the same. (The youngest is not even 2 but I'm sure he gets it anyway :wink:)
Reply 9
Original post by Sacred Ground
Well.... My motivation is rather bizarre, I watch documentaries such as 'Skint' and 'Benefits Britain' and realise hard work will prevent me ending up like them.

Precisely the way in which I motivate my self.
Reply 10
My main motivation now is my offer from Durham which is A*AA, really want to get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right now I want to get an A in the upcoming maths mock as my teacher definitely doubts my mathematical ability. My motivation is to prove people like Him (who don't think I am capable)... wrong.
Original post by miibay
Family?
Friends support?

I think about where I want to be in 10 years time
Money Money Money! Oh and and getting a good Uni offer
Original post by Magistl
Precisely the way in which I motivate my self.

Haha! I thought it was only me, pfft. I'm glad I'm not weird.
The fact that I need to get into a good university to do a really obscure degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't have any A Levels back in my days but you have to work your a** out in order to get the taste
Original post by miibay
Family?
Friends support?

Motivation?
The fact that my Education is kinda the only responsibility I have (that might sound silly but idk)
Erm... Wanting to actually get somewhere in life...
Last year my motivation was the D's they predicted me at AS when I knew that wasn't quite right, and the fact that I had to put the work in.
This year I've got very lazy because of getting good AS grades, having more free time at sixth form, and because now I have all my offers for uni. I'm desperately trying to get back to working like I did last year...

Too bawse for you, sir.

Quick Reply

Latest