The Student Room Group

Weight set and home workouts

I'd like to start working out and building strength but do not want to go to the gym as I want to do it privately. I basically want to build upper and lower arm muscles as well as my chest and stomach area.. how can I achieve this at home? what sort of equipment do you recommend? I assume il need some good weigths..? help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
It doesn't make much sense to not train your whole body, you might not realise it but at this point you almost certainly are weak and small all over and would look odd if you didn't at least train your back too. But your legs are a huge part of any real strength and having chicken legs with a good upper body would eventually look silly too.

People go to a gym because to train properly you do need quite a lot of equipment and it's a big investment. You might be thinking something more like at 50kg set with a little bar and DB handles? I started with that and honestly never achieved anything noticeable until I realised I needed to go to the gym. I wish I hadn't wasted that time. As a noob I'd want:
20kg bar
squat rack, with saftey rails, that goes low enough to to bench from
bench
120kg of weights- maybe bit less if a woman but either way need to add more within months
rubber mats to protect flooring
Original post by Vito Scaletta
I'd like to start working out and building strength but do not want to go to the gym as I want to do it privately. I basically want to build upper and lower arm muscles as well as my chest and stomach area.. how can I achieve this at home? what sort of equipment do you recommend? I assume il need some good weigths..? help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'd be a lot cheaper to go to a gym than to buy a set of weights for at home, which can easily rack up into the £1000s for what you need. If you're suffering from "gym anxiety", it's well worth trying to deal with that issue, as opposed to compromising your goals trying to afford it!

If your main interest is just building strength, you don't need anything complex. A bench, a barbell, some weights, a squat rack, and a pull-up bar would work great. Some of these things can be very expensive, though, hence why it's worth going to the gym instead! Alternatively, you can try dumbbells, but you'll still want something to work your legs. The important thing is that what you want will be heavy: so >100kg worth of weights would last you a while for the relevant exercises.

Why do you want to get stronger? :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It'd be a lot cheaper to go to a gym than to buy a set of weights for at home, which can easily rack up into the £1000s for what you need. If you're suffering from "gym anxiety", it's well worth trying to deal with that issue, as opposed to compromising your goals trying to afford it!

If your main interest is just building strength, you don't need anything complex. A bench, a barbell, some weights, a squat rack, and a pull-up bar would work great. Some of these things can be very expensive, though, hence why it's worth going to the gym instead! Alternatively, you can try dumbbells, but you'll still want something to work your legs. The important thing is that what you want will be heavy: so >100kg worth of weights would last you a while for the relevant exercises.

Why do you want to get stronger? :smile:

Original post by BKS
It doesn't make much sense to not train your whole body, you might not realise it but at this point you almost certainly are weak and small all over and would look odd if you didn't at least train your back too. But your legs are a huge part of any real strength and having chicken legs with a good upper body would eventually look silly too.

People go to a gym because to train properly you do need quite a lot of equipment and it's a big investment. You might be thinking something more like at 50kg set with a little bar and DB handles? I started with that and honestly never achieved anything noticeable until I realised I needed to go to the gym. I wish I hadn't wasted that time. As a noob I'd want:
20kg bar
squat rack, with saftey rails, that goes low enough to to bench from
bench
120kg of weights- maybe bit less if a woman but either way need to add more within months
rubber mats to protect flooring

Isnt there any decent ways to workout my lower body at home? There was a time a few years ago when I was around 17 and lived on my own.. I did weights all day long my arms were alot bigger. I was confident now im not and id like to get bk to that. I dont want to go to the gym and look like a tosspot picking up small weights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go on ebay and find some used equipment; use it at home until you are confident enough to either go to the gym or not go to the gym due to having achieved the aforementioned confidence already.

People are right that progress will be faster and cheaper at the gym but there is no reason you can't get stronger at home for a while.
Isnt there any decent ways to workout my lower body at home? There was a time a few years ago when I was around 17 and lived on my own.. I did weights all day long my arms were alot bigger. I was confident now im not and id like to get bk to that. I dont want to go to the gym and look like a tosspot picking up small weights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what buying the squat rack is for, for getting stronger at home. :wink:

You won't look like a tosspot unless you act like one. I started with tiny change plates on the bar at the gym when I started benching, even got a spot for it, srs. No one cares how little or how much you lift. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByronicHero
Go on ebay and find some used equipment; use it at home until you are confident enough to either go to the gym or not go to the gym due to having achieved the aforementioned confidence already.

People are right that progress will be faster and cheaper at the gym but there is no reason you can't get stronger at home for a while.

if I went to the gym how often would I need to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
if I went to the gym how often would I need to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The amount you want to go. Most people start @ 3 times a week as this is the commitment various beginner routines demand.
Reply 8
If you must get home stuff then gumtree can be better than ebay

Quick Reply

Latest