The Student Room Group

Why does everyone have an iphone?

To me I could never imagine being able to afford an iphone, I mean maybe a really old one but a lot of young people seem to have iphones. I was wondering did you pay for it yourself if so how much do you pay each month and upfront.

Scroll to see replies

Hey don't worry man, I don't have one either :smile:
poll?
Apple logo
Original post by Guy Secretan
To me I could never imagine being able to afford an iphone, I mean maybe a really old one but a lot of young people seem to have iphones. I was wondering did you pay for it yourself if so how much do you pay each month and upfront.

Owning an iPhone =/= being wealthy

iPhones are more affordable than you think. The handset alone may set you back £6-700 which for some is not a lot but for those who can't spend all that at once, they have the option of 0% finance plans with Apple and you can also purchase a monthly phone contract.

As for why it's so popular? It's simple, great marketing on Apple's part. I also think the simplicity and the sleek design are very attractive features for your average mobile phone user.
I dunno. I buy a windows phone or similar for £100 or less, and it tends to do everything that I want it to do: internet surfing, useful apps like navigation... not a big fan of social applications on my phone - not the kind of person to spend a lot of time Snap Chatting or Face Timing, past that.

Realistically speaking the phone costs at least £700 on a contract? A reasonably good phone on PAYG would cost £200 (not apple, of course :P) and a £10 a month sim at £120 a year... = £380 cheaper, at least.

Silly consumerism :tongue:
I mean more how can all these people afford it. Loads of young people and students have them.
I was drawn to the iOS platform since the App Store was announced. I could just see the potential from day zero, after initially dismissing the first generation for its limited functionality pre-App Store (having been used to loading .jar applications on my then-handset).

I had just finished GCSEs and heading into Year 12 in 2008 when the App Store launched, I think. I did a comprehensive price analysis over the lifetime of the contract to find the best option for me - and I've done the same every year when I upgrade to the new model. I was with O2 until switching to Vodafone from the iPhone 5 onwards.

Of course the contract had to be in mum's name, but I paid for the handset (I always went for the highest capacity) and the roughly £50/month contract cost. After 12 months when the new model is out, I recycle the handset with O2/Voda, which almost recoups the initial handset cost. These costs are easily covered by any summer or part-time job.

So basically, I always have the latest and best spec iPhone. The net handset cost to me every year is less than £100 (sometimes £0). Then I pay about £600 in line rental over the 12 months, but this gives me unlimited minutes/texts and generous Internet (used to be 500 MB back in 2008, this year with my 6 I get 20 GB hehe). I think that's perfectly reasonable for a truly life changing product, and one that I use for many hours every day - probably more than anything else in my life.
People have apple iphones because they are like sheep who follow the crowd in order to look "cool",
apparently the logo adds value by an extra few hundred quids, awesome!
Reply 9
i have an iphone 5s

it is my work phone so i got it for free and don't pay for it
Reply 10
They have them because they are young stupid sheep like people, I have never owned a iphone and never will! Never owned any apple products tbf and no not because I couldn’t afford them because I hate following the folk. I know many people who own iphones (ranging in age for both phone and age) and have been told they have constant issues with them.
Reply 11
Someone I know was paying £52 for there iphone including insurance which they then claimed off and was sent a refurbished version of the phone they damaged #notworthit.
Original post by Guy Secretan
I mean more how can all these people afford it. Loads of young people and students have them.

Parents?

I personally don't have one. I can't justify the cost, given how little I use my phone.
Original post by Annabelle-xx
Apple logo

Yah the logo is super cute
Original post by stirkee
i have an iphone 5s

it is my work phone so i got it for free and don't pay for it

Oooh jelous I paid 520 for my 5s ! Hah
Original post by AwkwardAlgebra
Oooh jelous I paid 520 for my 5s ! Hah

gutted they didn't give us all an iphone 6!
my apple products are my pride and joy
Original post by stirkee
gutted they didn't give us all an iphone 6!

Ah yes I would be !! Could perhaps ' break" the phone and be like oh what do I do lol
My brother is in Year 10. His friend has an iPhone 6 plus, absolutely ridiculous. Terrible phones anyway, they do nothing something from 2012 wouldn't do.
Original post by AwkwardAlgebra
Ah yes I would be !! Could perhaps ' break" the phone and be like oh what do I do lol

they'd just throw another 5s at me :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest