The Student Room Group

Should I drop an AS?

Hi guys:smile:
Im in a bit of a dilemma atm. I'm taking Biology,Chemistry,History and Economics.
Anyway I have my mocks next week and my exam timetable is based on my actual AS timetable and i have 5 exams in 2 days!These aren't even half my exams btw since there only mocks and we havnt covered all the material.
I know i wont be able to cope with this timetable so im thinking to drop economics which is the subject i dislike the most so i can concentrate on my other ones. I don't know if i should since i have no idea what i want to do for uni and im struggling with chemistry so should I drop that instead. Any advice on what i should do? Im planning to pick up an AS next year also any recommendations would be helpful :smile:
No, you probably shouldn't drop one at this stage, because you've already invested months into the subject. If you're worried about the exam timetable, you should check the official one for May/June as they aren't usually that bad. I have about 20 at the end of the year and the worst I have is four exams in three days.
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
No, you probably shouldn't drop one at this stage, because you've already invested months into the subject. If you're worried about the exam timetable, you should check the official one for May/June as they aren't usually that bad. I have about 20 at the end of the year and the worst I have is four exams in three days.

It is my actual timetable upsettingly. And tbh i dont think i will be passing economics or chemistry but i need chemistry so im thinking to drop economics and invest more time in chemistry. I havnt sone any work for economics up till this point anyway
Reply 3
What are you taking btw?
Original post by AmmanK1
What are you taking btw?

Last year I took A2 maths, as well as ASs. This year I'm taking A2 further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, some extra maths modules, STEP I-III, retaking a chemistry module and retaking GCSE English twice.
That makes 20 May/June exams, mostly over three weeks. The worst I have is five exams over three days(checked timetable again).
Are these all of your exams or do you have more spread out?
Original post by AmmanK1
It is my actual timetable upsettingly. And tbh i dont think i will be passing economics or chemistry but i need chemistry so im thinking to drop economics and invest more time in chemistry. I havnt sone any work for economics up till this point anyway

How bad is your timetable? I have two exams on the same day - Microeconomics in the morning and then my whole Japanese AS (2 HOURS 45!) in the afternoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Edminzodo
How bad is your timetable? I have two exams on the same day - Microeconomics in the morning and then my whole Japanese AS (2 HOURS 45!) in the afternoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 1 chemistry and 1 history exam on the same day then the next day i have macro and micro economics
Reply 7
Original post by morgan8002
Last year I took A2 maths, as well as ASs. This year I'm taking A2 further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, some extra maths modules, STEP I-III, retaking a chemistry module and retaking GCSE English twice.
That makes 20 May/June exams, mostly over three weeks. The worst I have is five exams over three days(checked timetable again).
Are these all of your exams or do you have more spread out?

Im not 100 per cent sure as of yet but what ive been told by my head of year is that my timetable is one of the worst since i have my chemistry and history exams on the same day and economics the next day.
Original post by Edminzodo

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 exams in two days means that there must be 3-4 occurrences of this happening for the OP, and there must also be exams on at the same time. Everyone must have exams on the same day.

I have four occurrences of two exams on the same day, two occurrences where I have two exams at the same time.
Plus many of my exams are 2:30-3 hours long, I'll be stuck in an exam for 6 hours, twice.
Original post by AmmanK1
Im not 100 per cent sure as of yet but what ive been told by my head of year is that my timetable is one of the worst since i have my chemistry and history exams on the same day and economics the next day.

Have you actually checked it online?
My friend struggled with AS chemistry from day 1 and dropped it around late December/early January. If you feel that despite lots of revision you're not going to improve, drop it so you can focus on your other subjects.
Original post by AmmanK1
Hi guys:smile:
Im in a bit of a dilemma atm. I'm taking Biology,Chemistry,History and Economics.
Anyway I have my mocks next week and my exam timetable is based on my actual AS timetable and i have 5 exams in 2 days!These aren't even half my exams btw since there only mocks and we havnt covered all the material.
I know i wont be able to cope with this timetable so im thinking to drop economics which is the subject i dislike the most so i can concentrate on my other ones. I don't know if i should since i have no idea what i want to do for uni and im struggling with chemistry so should I drop that instead. Any advice on what i should do? Im planning to pick up an AS next year also any recommendations would be helpful :smile:

As long as you start your revision early and aren't one of those people who only revise for the first exam and start revising for the rest after the previous ones are out of the way then you'll be fine. I had two/ three exams a day for a whole week during my A levels and managed it fine - it's just a matter of being prepared. Hence why your mocks have been scheduled like your exam timetable, to get you used to it :smile:

I suggest you start revising ASAP and then see how your mocks go. If you find you're doing terribly in a subject and are not enjoying it, then maybe consider dropping it. Definitely ask your teachers for advice in this situation though.

If you are not sure what you want to do for uni, having only three AS subjects will restrict your options more - so unless you have a clear idea of what course you want to do I would advice against dropping a potentially important subject. Studying Biology and Chemistry should keep biological sciences/ chemistry related options open, and History and Economics could lead into Politics/ History/ Management/ business type degrees. If you want to study Economics at uni, some require Maths A level so bear that in mind. If you know you hate economics though, then you would probably hate degrees requiring it... Perhaps talk to a careers/ UCAS advisor at your school?
Reply 12
Had 3 exams in one day. That was a huge pain, but it's possible to do well if you manage time well (got 2As and a C but that was a general studies exam). If you really don't want to do 4 AS you don't have to, but the vast majority of people do do 4 AS levels, and some universities (UCL in particular) need a pass at a 4th A level and make it part of their offer (did for me certainly).
Reply 13
Original post by dragonkeeper999
As long as you start your revision early and aren't one of those people who only revise for the first exam and start revising for the rest after the previous ones are out of the way then you'll be fine. I had two/ three exams a day for a whole week during my A levels and managed it fine - it's just a matter of being prepared. Hence why your mocks have been scheduled like your exam timetable, to get you used to it :smile:

I suggest you start revising ASAP and then see how your mocks go. If you find you're doing terribly in a subject and are not enjoying it, then maybe consider dropping it. Definitely ask your teachers for advice in this situation though.

If you are not sure what you want to do for uni, having only three AS subjects will restrict your options more - so unless you have a clear idea of what course you want to do I would advice against dropping a potentially important subject. Studying Biology and Chemistry should keep biological sciences/ chemistry related options open, and History and Economics could lead into Politics/ History/ Management/ business type degrees. If you want to study Economics at uni, some require Maths A level so bear that in mind. If you know you hate economics though, then you would probably hate degrees requiring it... Perhaps talk to a careers/ UCAS advisor at your school?

Thanks for the advice. So i should keep on the subject? I dont really enjoy it tbh and im taking on another AS next year if i do drop. Any suggestion on what i should pick up?
Original post by AmmanK1
Thanks for the advice. So i should keep on the subject? I dont really enjoy it tbh and im taking on another AS next year if i do drop. Any suggestion on what i should pick up?

I would see how you do after your mocks. Revise for all your subjects with the intention of carrying them on and try your best. If you're really struggling, talk to your teachers. From the sound of it, you enjoy economics the least and so it is the one to consider dropping (unless you do really badly in Chemistry - low grades will really lower your university options).

I really wouldn't recommend picking up another AS next year - you are struggling with the workload already, and A2s are harder than ASs so three A2s AND an AS will be far too much to manage. Unis aren't really interested in ASs you haven't continued with to A2 - so unless the AS you pick up is really relevant for the degree I wouldn't bother with it. If you want to show your passion for your subject, an EPQ is probably more useful to you than an additional AS.

Quick Reply

Latest