The Student Room Group

Does your university have a gym?

If yes then is it good (e.g. prices, facilities, discounts)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I pay £179 at the start of the year for 9 months at my uni gym which includes access to the gym, free classes, and access to the pool. I don't think that's too bad.

In terms of facilities, there are plenty of cardio machines, you would never have to wait for any of them, apart from maybe a bike. Quite a lot of weight machines too. The weights area is decent, three power cages, plus five platforms. Lots of dumbbells, benches etc. The area itself is pretty small, and can get crowded during busy times. It is a very busy gym and unless I go at typically quiet times, I can't get anywhere near a barbell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by hermitthefrog
I pay £179 at the start of the year for 9 months at my uni gym which includes access to the gym, free classes, and access to the pool. I don't think that's too bad.

In terms of facilities, there are plenty of cardio machines, you would never have to wait for any of them, apart from maybe a bike. Quite a lot of weight machines too. The weights area is decent, three power cages, plus five platforms. Lots of dumbbells, benches etc. The area itself is pretty small, and can get crowded during busy times. It is a very busy gym and unless I go at typically quiet times, I can't get anywhere near a barbell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the general "quiet times" to go to a gym? And does your gym have showers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
What are the general "quiet times" to go to a gym? And does your gym have showers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the morning between about 8.30 and 10 is usually quiet, in the evenings after 7ish. It can vary. I've seen it packed at a certain time one week, then absolutely dead the next. Yes it does

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by hermitthefrog
In the morning between about 8.30 and 10 is usually quiet, in the evenings after 7ish. It can vary. I've seen it packed at a certain time one week, then absolutely dead the next. Yes it does

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you reckon all gyms are generally packed or there are some that are empty most of the time? I prefer going to a gym where i am alone or only a few guys? Is this possible or am i dreaming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My university has a gym, but it's tiny. Where I am though, I can buy a gym membership that covers the uni gym, the local gym, swimming pools and athletics track. I paid £75 I think for one year so a great deal really. I use the local gym because it's bigger, has more machines/space and a separate weights room.

As for quiet times, I always find that 10am-12pm, 2pm-4pm, 7pm onwards are quiet. Best times are definitely Friday/Saturday evenings or Monday mornings!
Reply 6
Edinburgh is great, bit busy in the evening but not unreasonable and quiet the rest of the time. Everything is as good quality as you can ask for, loads of platforms, benches etc. plus cardio stuff, sports halls, squash courts and swimming pool and playing fields at other sties. I paid £100, full membership for the whole year as a student which is insanely good value for how good it is.

I had a look round the ones at Manchester and no way I'm using them. My overall conclusion was the unis who share the facilities are seriously under investing giving the number of students. Most of it isn't bad quality but it's just too busy, at least at times I could use it.
Original post by maxi365
Do you reckon all gyms are generally packed or there are some that are empty most of the time? I prefer going to a gym where i am alone or only a few guys? Is this possible or am i dreaming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's pretty easy when you're at uni cos you're not stuck on a 9-5 routine.

Mornings are always quiet. Afternoons more busy. 5pm onwards are crazy. As a member of gyms I always worked out between 7-11am and it was always pretty chill.

Quick Reply

Latest