The Student Room Group

It is OK to slander men's bodies but not women's

If somebody made a thread regarding their boyfriend's body being too untoned and being a deal-breaker, how would you react?

I personally dislike objectification either way (although am not above my desires) however I strongly predict that this is a one-way thing

Scroll to see replies

I don't think critisising either gender's body is acceptable, but I do notice some people don't seem to agree with me.
If someone made the thread you suggested I would think they should get over it and accept not everyone looks like a sportsman.
I agree, it is a one way thing.

I've never seen a poster or image online saying it's ok to be any size or shape regarding men- it's only women.

This then makes it harder for guys to be secure of themselves thus leading to depression and oppression.

I wonder if feminists agree we need change..after all they want equality.
Original post by bittr n swt

I've never seen a poster or image online saying it's ok to be any size or shape regarding men- it's only women.

This then makes it harder for guys to be secure of themselves thus leading to depression and oppression.

yes and then you're told insecurity isn't attractive. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying 'women want an alpha male' all the time, but men are expected to compensate with confidence, success in non-physical aspects etc. whereas with women men's shallow minds are to blame.

It is definitely OK to try and mould a man into his 'potential' (read: the way you want him) but to even attempt to do so in a woman has been included before today as abuse.
Original post by izpenguin
I don't think critisising either gender's body is acceptable, but I do notice some people don't seem to agree with me.
If someone made the thread you suggested I would think they should get over it and accept not everyone looks like a sportsman.

you're a wonderful exception to the norm of the age bracket of this site then :smile:
It's not ok to slander either :s-smilie: (IMO anyway.)
Original post by izpenguin
I don't think critisising any gender's body is acceptable.

Fix'd.

To be fair that kind of post very, very rarely includes women who are below a size 8.
I dunno what OP is on about, but there are plenty of restrictions on men's bodies, look at this image which is showing the social pressure men feel to be square shaped.

epic post ^

10/10 flawless execution
Everyone deserves to be slandered equally
Original post by CatnipGlows
Everyone deserves to be slandered equally

So I can slander gays and disabled people?
That's freaking feminazi double standards for you, mate. Women rule the world.
I was just about to make a thread like this.

There's stuff going around the now about Justin Bieber's Calvin Klein photo being photoshopped. (Despite the fact all models are photoshopped and it was clearly fake anyway.) and obviously everyone is slaying him.

But what I find interesting is that there wasn't a single peep out of anyone regarding body shaming. Why aren't feminists standing up to men being body shamed? No matter who they are
there's plenty of pressure on women to look good, hence all the airbrushing and makeup and 'perfect' models and celebs, and a lot of diets targeted for women etc.
Original post by Blue_Mason
So I can slander gays and disabled people?

Sure you can. And peolpe already do.

Original post by Precious Illusions
It's not ok to slander either :s-smilie: (IMO anyway.)

It is perfectly okay to say what ever you want to say.
Over TSR it'd be libel rather than slander - although it certainly doesn't count as libel anyway. But I don't think any of us should criticise other people's bodies. That being said, there are far more expectations put on women in that regard.
As a guy I feel like I should be at least physically fit/ toned to even get the attention of an overweight girl. XD

Probably not true, but something subconsciously influencing me.

Original post by Green_Pink
Over TSR it'd be libel rather than slander - although it certainly doesn't count as libel anyway. But I don't think any of us should criticise other people's bodies. That being said, there are far more expectations put on women in that regard.

By who though?

Do you mean in magazines and stuff like that?

I generally see more more physically fit guys in the UK than Women.
(edited 9 years ago)

lol this, when was the last time you saw a chubby/fat guy described as "curvy"? or saw a plus size male model

brb

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
As a guy I feel like I should be at least physically fit/ toned to even get the attention of an overweight girl. XD

Probably not true, but something subconsciously influencing me.

By who though?

Do you mean in magazines and stuff like that?

I generally see more more physically fit guys in the UK than Women.

Not just magazines, but also in social settings and the like. It's not just physical fitness, it's also a lot of often expensive and time-consuming things women are expected to do such as wear make-up, shave our legs/armpits, and maybe to a lesser extent now manage a longer hairstyle. Whereas men's body/facial hair isn't considered taboo, they're not generally expected to put on expensive beauty products, and even those with bodies seen as unattractive are still able to go out to the beach or wherever without anywhere close to as much scrutiny on them. Add in the fact that women are often judged on the size of their boobs/bum which they can't even change and it's far from even.
Even on TSR, you have a noticeable portion of young men who completely rip apart women who are for all intents and purposes good looking . There is so much bravado and macho behaviour that I expect that to be so critical, they themselves must be some real aesthetic specimens.

I've also seen posts that loudly and proudly support that women are only worth their relative hotness and that women are a waste of time, only use them for sex because they're whores. It's pretty disappointing to see that sort of jaded and humiliating Attitude.

For the record, not that it matters, I think conventional beauty is boring.... gender indiscriminate. The stereotype of the American jock is just ****ing stupid. Why do complaining TSR guys seem to aspire to look like total ass bags?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending