The Student Room Group

Accredited Degrees

Hi every1

In the future I would like to be an aeronautical engineer.

However I think I made a mistake when applying to uni. 4 of my 6 choices (QMUL, Southampton, Loughborough, Imperial) are accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society but my other 2 choices (Nottingham and Brunel) are not.

If I end up going to Nottingham or Brunel, do you think it would affect my career goals as these are not accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Soceity?

EDIT: Nottingham and Brunel are accredited by Institute of Mechanical Engineers. But is having a degree accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society better than having a degree accredited by Institute of Mechanical Engineers since I want to to become an Aeronautical Engineer?
Reply 1
yh, probably, coz most engineers aim to be chartered and if the degree u r doin is not acredited then it might be hard to be chartered. not really sure thoh
Reply 2
I'm not entirely sure about Brunel but in Nottingham the degree is accredited but it is not by the RAeS - it is IMechE who accredit their degree as their degree really isn't a full Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering degree. It's just a Mechanical Engineering degree with a few more modules of Aero thrown in too (or at least that is what a lecturer there told me). If you do choose to go there then you will not be disadvantaged - you will still get an MEng/BEng and it will be accredited by the IMechE.
Reply 3
I dont know about Brunel, but Nottingham has a Mechanical Engineering course wherein you chose certain modules in aero/automative, ect.

Latest