The Student Room Group

Makeup Uni Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrfa1
Hi, I have applied for Manchester this year! (and a few others) just wondering, how long did it take them to get back to you after you submitted your UCAS application? I have not heard back from them yet :-) thanks x

i'm currently doing makeup artistry at moston campus, and tbh no one in are group as really enjoyed the course , so many have dropped out this year and alot are leaving after this year as we don't really learn anything and only time we actually do stuff is on assessment days, i feel the people have enjoyed it more whose done special effects, I was determined i wasn't gunna leave but then its just so pointless even going in now cause we don't do anything, so even I've decided to change what am doing. Also the fact moston campus is a college it just feels like being at college and not uni with 17 year olds everywhere
Original post by rebeccaslane
im starting in sep 2015 in manchester for makeup artistry, i originally applied last year but deferred it to 2015 x

im currently doing makeup artistry at moston campus, and tbh no one in are group as really enjoyed the course , so many have dropped out this year and alot are leaving after this year as we don't really learn anything and only time we actually do stuff is on assessment days, i feel the people have enjoyed it more whose done special effects, I was determined i wasn't gunna leave but then its just so pointless even going in now cause we don't do anything, so even i've decided to change what am doing. Also the fact moston campus is a college it just feels like being at college and not uni with 17 year olds everywhere
Reply 22
Original post by rissaxox
i'm currently doing makeup artistry at moston campus, and tbh no one in are group as really enjoyed the course , so many have dropped out this year and alot are leaving after this year as we don't really learn anything and only time we actually do stuff is on assessment days, i feel the people have enjoyed it more whose done special effects, I was determined i wasn't gunna leave but then its just so pointless even going in now cause we don't do anything, so even I've decided to change what am doing. Also the fact moston campus is a college it just feels like being at college and not uni with 17 year olds everywhere

Thanks so much for this, it's really good to know. I've applied for the Special Effects course and had my interview on 15/04. It is currently my first choice and I am hoping that being in halls at city center will make it more of a uni experience! If I get in I will probably do top up year somewhere else :-) x
im currently doing makeup artistry at moston campus, and tbh no one in are group as really enjoyed the course , so many have dropped out this year and alot are leaving after this year as we don't really learn anything and only time we actually do stuff is on assessment days, i feel the people have enjoyed it more whose done special effects, I was determined i wasn't gunna leave but then its just so pointless even going in now cause we don't do anything, so even i've decided to change what am doing. Also the fact moston campus is a college it just feels like being at college and not uni with 17 year olds everywhere

but also id you do decide to do it this year quiet alot of the students there live at Liberty Point ( near Piccadilly station )
and we got put on flats together and above and next door so in Freshers we made friends before we even started the course, am staying next year when i change to go to mmu aswell :smile:
Original post by harrfa1
Thanks so much for this, it's really good to know. I've applied for the Special Effects course and had my interview on 15/04. It is currently my first choice and I am hoping that being in halls at city center will make it more of a uni experience! If I get in I will probably do top up year somewhere else :-) x

Yeah you might like it better doing special effects i have a friend in flat upstairs and she seems to do loads more then we do like practical but we have loads more assessments but its all like basic makeup which you do abit of in special effects as well, ive just commented again below about accommodation aswell if that's any use :smile: But we have heard a rumor there trying to move the campus cause moston is abit rough
Reply 25
I firmed Birmingham :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rissaxox
Yeah you might like it better doing special effects i have a friend in flat upstairs and she seems to do loads more then we do like practical but we have loads more assessments but its all like basic makeup which you do abit of in special effects as well, ive just commented again below about accommodation aswell if that's any use :smile: But we have heard a rumor there trying to move the campus cause moston is abit rough

a few off us applied to liberty point and we got put in same flat or above or next door so in freshers like we made friends before we even started course and its decent really seen so many worse i even think its lot better then new medlock and student village , like and good location and stuff am gunna stay again next year aswell even tho am changing course haha
Reply 27
A makeup degree :laugh:
Reply 28
I have been offered places at Birmingham, Bolton and Grimsby to study Special Effects Makeup. I know Bolton and Grimsby are probably one of the best in terms of sfx and can't decide which one to take! Has anyone applied for any them?

Thanks!
Bolton suppose to be really good and I wouldn't say Grimsby like it's okay but not not student place at all if anywhere Birmingham but heard boltons really good
Reply 30
I've received an unconditional from Manchester today and I think I'm going to accept it, what are people doing regarding accommodation in Manchester?? At the interview the college recommended halls in city centre... x
Reply 31
Original post by harrfa1
I've received an unconditional from Manchester today and I think I'm going to accept it, what are people doing regarding accommodation in Manchester?? At the interview the college recommended halls in city centre... x

Hey! I have an interview for this course soon and I'm just wondering what they asked and did they want a portfolio ? I'm currently at Plymouth studying fashion media and marketing but I hate it and I miss being up north ! I have a viewing at langdale hall on Thursday which is near rusholme and the only reason it's my top choice is because they don't take a deposit and I'm obviously broke at this point ! It might be a good idea to start a facebook group tho maybe ?? So we can all get to know each other x
Reply 32
Original post by janeyray
Hey! I have an interview for this course soon and I'm just wondering what they asked and did they want a portfolio ? I'm currently at Plymouth studying fashion media and marketing but I hate it and I miss being up north ! I have a viewing at langdale hall on Thursday which is near rusholme and the only reason it's my top choice is because they don't take a deposit and I'm obviously broke at this point ! It might be a good idea to start a facebook group tho maybe ?? So we can all get to know each other x

Hiya, you need to bring a portfolio and a written piece (for this I did an evaluation on some makeup I had done) so that they can see your writing skills. They just asked the usual things like why this course, why should they have you, strengths & weaknesses etc :-) very lovely people, all very informal. A Facebook group sounds like a good idea! X
Reply 33
Original post by harrfa1
Hiya, you need to bring a portfolio and a written piece (for this I did an evaluation on some makeup I had done) so that they can see your writing skills. They just asked the usual things like why this course, why should they have you, strengths & weaknesses etc :-) very lovely people, all very informal. A Facebook group sounds like a good idea! X

I'm a little worried as I have no precious make up experience at all ! I do however have a strong background in fashion design and fashion media and I was offered a conditional place so hopefully ?? I already have a piece I had written for a magazine about hair :tongue: so I'm happy about that ! Thank you ! I'll start one when we get more people ( hopefully ! )
Reply 34
Don't worry about that, I have no previous experience in make-up. Everything I have done is completely self taught so I was really nervous but I had lovely feedback which has built a bit of confidence!! Good luck with your interview! :-)
Reply 35
Original post by harrfa1
Don't worry about that, I have no previous experience in make-up. Everything I have done is completely self taught so I was really nervous but I had lovely feedback which has built a bit of confidence!! Good luck with your interview! :-)

Thank you ! I feel a bit better now :smile: I'll come back to this thread after my interview and we can start a Facebook group !
Hi I'm going to Manchester and I'm having sooo much trouble finding accommodation can anyone help me ?
Reply 37
Try njoy , I booked a room at langdale hall and they were really helpful and the rooms are nice too x
Reply 38
Is anybody looking at staying in Liberty Point?
Original post by shanmaguire
Hi I'm going to Manchester and I'm having sooo much trouble finding accommodation can anyone help me ?

liberty point / near Piccadilly station
staying there for second year in Sept
few makeup students stayed there this year put is close together :smile:
really good location

Quick Reply

Latest