The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Dilemma, if the course is A*AA standard offer, but I can get predicted A*A*A* if I want to, should I do it just to make myself look more appealing? (I know they'll offer A*AA if an offer is made, just thinking in terms of getting an offer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Yoghurtyoghurt1
Dilemma, if the course is A*AA standard offer, but I can get predicted A*A*A* if I want to, should I do it just to make myself look more appealing? (I know they'll offer A*AA if an offer is made, just thinking in terms of getting an offer)

Do you think you can get A*A*A*? Are all of your UMS averages close to 90% or >90%? If you're applying to a course where they request UMS and they're not, I think it's possible they'll just brush off your predictions as over predictions on your school's part.

Some of my teachers this year were nervous to give me A* predictions only because they thought that unis might ask for the A* in your offer as a result, but I feel like that's pretty unlikely.

If I were you, I would go for it! :biggrin:
Original post by Nijuuninichi
Do you think you can get A*A*A*? Are all of your UMS averages close to 90% or >90%? If you're applying to a course where they request UMS and they're not, I think it's possible they'll just brush off your predictions as over predictions on your school's part.

Some of my teachers this year were nervous to give me A* predictions only because they thought that unis might ask for the A* in your offer as a result, but I feel like that's pretty unlikely.

If I were you, I would go for it! :biggrin:

Cheers yeah, unis I'm applying to don't make you get your predicted grades (I've asked the admissions tutor) and my UMS were 95%, 89% and 88% so I'm close enough to achieve A*'s and if it wasn't for a disastrous c1 exam I would've scored higher overall in maths

Just wondering if I can make myself "look" better since I have no further maths (applying for economics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers yeah, unis I'm applying to don't make you get your predicted grades (I've asked the admissions tutor) and my UMS were 95%, 89% and 88% so I'm close enough to achieve A*'s and if it wasn't for a disastrous c1 exam I would've scored higher overall in maths

Just wondering if I can make myself "look" better since I have no further maths (applying for economics)

Does your school offer FM? If not, I think the website says they'll take it into account when considering your application. But still, I think doing AS FM on the side could help your application (you could beg your school to help you).

If you've entered any Maths challenges and got a certificate that could look good! Or just mention something about how important Maths is to Econ in your PS? Mentoring GCSE or Y12 students from your school in Maths is probably helpful on your PS too if your school organises things like that.
Original post by Nijuuninichi
Does your school offer FM? If not, I think the website says they'll take it into account when considering your application. But still, I think doing AS FM on the side could help your application (you could beg your school to help you).

If you've entered any Maths challenges and got a certificate that could look good! Or just mention something about how important Maths is to Econ in your PS? Mentoring GCSE or Y12 students from your school in Maths is probably helpful on your PS too if your school organises things like that.

Yeah I begged them to let me to AS fm at the beginning of this year and it wouldn't fit into my timetable :frown:

I have mentioned maths in my ps and will get my tutor to say something about maths as he's a maths teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you are applying for econ you will have declare your scores so admissions will form their own opinion on if it's realistic or not.

I don't think one more a* is going to make or break an application as your predictions are already above the standard offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 386
Does lse want us to put our UMS scores onto ucas, not our grades?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by econam
Since you are applying for econ you will have declare your scores so admissions will form their own opinion on if it's realistic or not.

I don't think one more a* is going to make or break an application as your predictions are already above the standard offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been predicted the standard offer, not above

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 90780
Does lse want us to put our UNS scores onto ucas, not our grades?

No, you enter your grades on UCAS and once your application is received by LSE, they will then sent out a form to fill in with your UMS marks.

-A
Reply 389
Original post by coolguy123456
No, you enter your grades on UCAS and once your application is received by LSE, they will then sent out a form to fill in with your UMS marks.

-A

Do they do that for all courses?
Original post by 90780
Do they do that for all courses?

Only for courses which require an A* in maths.
Reply 391
Original post by coolguy123456
Only for courses which require an A* in maths.

Okay thank you!
I am a student who just studied in uk for 2 years, so i didnt do the GCSE
I got 4As in my AS and got predicted 3A* and an A for my A2.
I am currently doing physics chemistry maths and futher maths.
Is it possible to get an offer for studying law in LSE?
Original post by himeandme
I am a student who just studied in uk for 2 years, so i didnt do the GCSE
I got 4As in my AS and got predicted 3A* and an A for my A2.
I am currently doing physics chemistry maths and futher maths.
Is it possible to get an offer for studying law in LSE?

Definitely! Your grades are very high. How were your UMS? I know LSE asks for them for Economics but I'm not sure for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icecreamcake
Definitely! Your grades are very high. How were your UMS? I know LSE asks for them for Economics but I'm not sure for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 94% for Maths 91% for Chemistry and 87% for physics , I messed up with both EMPAs of physics and chemsitry :frown:
I got 94% for Maths 91% for Chemistry and 87% for physics , I messed up with both EMPAs of physics and chemsitry :frown:

Sounds like you will be more than fine to be honest (assuming you personal statement is good).

Those are great! Have you considered Cambridge as well? Your UMS are very good.
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Sounds like you will be more than fine to be honest (assuming you personal statement is good).

mate i hope so, but sounds that law is a popular subject in LSE and extremely competitive, so a bit worry about getting an offer :frown:
Original post by icecreamcake
Those are great! Have you considered Cambridge as well? Your UMS are very good.

I am going to apply for law in oxford as well, the LNAT paper drives me mad
Anyone received an offer yet? How long did it take for a reply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending